Desert Inn, is it really okay?

I have heard some really good reviews and some really bad reviews of the Desert Inn across the street from Disneyland. We are loving that it is so close and that it has a suite with 2 rooms and 1.5 baths. That will make it easy for the 4 adults going to get ready in the morning. All we need is clean and safe, not fancy or modern. Is $139 a night a good price? Reviews anyone?

• DLR Cast Member

Re: Desert Inn, is it really okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy's #1 Gal View Post
    I have heard some really good reviews and some really bad reviews of the Desert Inn across the street from Disneyland.
    This is STRICTLY my personal view. I've stayed there twice, and had bad service both times. There are plenty of other discount hotels in the area that are better, imo. It's been a few years, so maybe their service is better now.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

These link has reviews for a lot of the hotels: So. Cal. Hotel Reviews
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• See Ya Real Soon!

The hotel itself is great. We had great customer service, clean rooms, the breakfast is so-so but the beds are hard/firm and uncomfrontable to us, because we are used to pillow top matterresses.

We stayed here twice due to the location but will not stay here again due to the beds. If they were to replace the beds with something soft/pillow-top then we might stay here again.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

I've stayed there twice and the location is directly outside the crosswalk for the parks. It is very simple, nothing fancy, the beds are hard and I didn't sleep well the last stay I had there in May 2010. All the rooms do come with a fridge and microwave which is handy if you need to use that. They do charge $8.00 for parking and $4.00 resort fee daily.

I would give either the HoJo just up the block a try and they don't charge parking or resort fee's. Or give Carousel Inn & Suites a go. You can get the MiceChat rate at Carousel for $89 a night or $109 for a club room and parking is included and I believe you get a continental breakfast. Some have commented that the beds are very comfortable. HoJo also gives a MiceChat discount and both hotels are sponsors of our MiceChat site.

The Tropicana Inn is also a good alternative, the rooms are a bit larger than Carousel's and they still have comfy beds (I love the Carousel, but I think their rooms are pretty small for four adults). I haven't stayed at the Desert Inn in about 5 years, we were always ok with it, but for $139 I think you can find better in that same stretch of road.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Does anyone know if the hotels that were mentioned, tropicana, hojo, etc. have that same room set up? We have 2 adult couples going so we really wanted seperate bedrooms and bathrooms while being conjoined so we could hang out together. The only place I have seen rooms like that is the Desert Inn so far and getting 2 seperate rooms in other hotels has seemed more expensive.

•   

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Does anyone know if the hotels that were mentioned, tropicana, hojo, etc. have that same room set up? We have 2 adult couples going so we really wanted seperate bedrooms and bathrooms while being conjoined so we could hang out together. The only place I have seen rooms like that is the Desert Inn so far and getting 2 seperate rooms in other hotels has seemed more expensive.
    I'm sure you can ask/request adjoining rooms. I know the HoJo's has a suite but it's all one room. For the others I think you would need to get two rooms and ask that their adjoining to have the set up that you are looking for. Otherwise for the price of what you would like and the location, you are better off staying at the Desert Inn. Oh and one other tip, that 1.5 baths means only one shower. A half a bath is just the toilet and basin.

I just found an excellent rate for the dates we are going at HoJo! The entertainment rate is $59 a night so we are just going to get 2 rooms hopefully conjoining. Now I just need to buy an entertainment book. I'm assuming they ask for the card at check in?

•   

I just found an excellent rate for the dates we are going at HoJo! The entertainment rate is $59 a night so we are just going to get 2 rooms hopefully conjoining. Now I just need to buy an entertainment book. I'm assuming they ask for the card at check in?
    Awesome! Yes they do ask to see you entertainment card at check-in. You can make reservations online at the hojoanaheim.com website and then call in-house reservations and they will apply the discount to your reservation or call in-house reservations and let them book it for you. Their really nice and helpful.

It's all booked and I'll be sure to buy an entertainment book! I can't wait! This is an even nicer hotel than I thought we could afford. We are taking my brother for his Birthday and it is also his first time ever going to Disneyland. Thank you HOJO!