Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disney's Grand Californian VS. Disneyland Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Shellyfish View Post
    Thanks for your response. I booked our hotel and flight today! Alas, no view for us, but I'm glad to have it confirmed. Now I feel like I can really start to get excited about our trip. I do have one more question about GCH and I can't seem to find a straight answer on disneyland.com. What is the parking situation there? Do we have to pay extra to park and if so, how much?

You might still get a view, last few times I went they have upgraded me to a room with a view of DCA at no extra cost and without me even asking.

we always get the two bedroom suite, and for that Disneyland hotel is waaaay better. regular rooms, i'd say grand californian. gets points for being closer too.

• Fish Food

I know I'm way late responding to these. After a while I forgot to keep checking. I do very much appreciate your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by swooshbear View Post
    You have two options, Self Park ($15) or Valet ($22). I did the Self Park option, but note that the Self Park parking lot is actually across the street from the Hotel Entrance. I only stayed for one night, but I was able to check-in and my room was ready at 7am. I checked out the next day, stored my bags with the bell desk and left Disneyland at around 11pm. In total for the two full days, I was only charged $15 for parking.
    As much as the rooms are, I was kinda hoping for complimentary parking. Oh well, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    You might still get a view, last few times I went they have upgraded me to a room with a view of DCA at no extra cost and without me even asking.
    That's great and exactly what I was wondering. We stayed at the DLH in 2005 and had a very nice view of DTD that we didn't request. That was in early November. I'm hoping Mid October will be slow enough so we can get the same sort of luck.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Shellyfish View Post
    That's great and exactly what I was wondering. We stayed at the DLH in 2005 and had a very nice view of DTD that we didn't request. That was in early November. I'm hoping Mid October will be slow enough so we can get the same sort of luck.
    If during the week, that's possible. But Halloween season for the month of October is VERY popular and the resort stays busy especially on the weekends. Here's hoping for the comp upgrade!

I'm going mid November and just booked the PP. Not much of discounting yet for AP holders only 10%, but when they found out my Mom qualifies for a senior rate it was a bigger discount. We got a premium view for only $15 more over a standard room for AP holders. So I booked that.

• Friend of Mickeys

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post

I'm going mid November and just booked the PP. Not much of discounting yet for AP holders only 10%, but when they found out my Mom qualifies for a senior rate it was a bigger discount. We got a premium view for only $15 more over a standard room for AP holders. So I booked that.

How much better is the senior discount? And at what age does the discount start?
    Friend of Mickey

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    How much better is the senior discount? And at what age does the discount start?
    For the dates that I'm going 11/15-11/18 it saved me $223 for a premium view room over the AP discount. Not sure at what age it starts but I'll take a guess of at 55 and older. You should call and ask if your interested in booking under that rate. A lot of people don't know about that rate, I actually didn't even know. The CM that helped me was awesome. We stayed their a few years ago so our info was already in the system and the CM says oh I see your Mom qualifies for the senior discount, I can get you a better rate. I said okay. Sometimes depending on who you talk to, you get better service. I did the survey at the end of the call and YES that CM got an excellent rating!

The senior discount is 30%. I think it starts at age 65. GCH is my favorite place to stay.

• Fish Food

I thought I would update for anyone who might be interested in what a "standard view" can get you.

This is the view looking directly out of our room
    Name:  i-kQPGGJX-M.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  97.7 KB

Nice view, but if you lean over and turn left, you see this

Name:  i-Xmt4Nh3-M.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  124.4 KB

At night it looks like this

Name:  i-6RdJ3BG-M.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  52.1 KB

Napa Rose is 2 floors directly under us, the entrance to California Adventure is exactly 101 steps away and the entrance to Soarin is exactly 310 steps away from our hotel room door. That is so amazingly unbelievable to me. My goal is to ride Soarin first thing every morning. It's my Disney Tai Chi.

On the downside, Disneyland is a bit of a hike, but it's really not too far and I am not complaining!! I'm SO happy with this room I could bust and I am so happy to be here. Thanks for all of your advice and help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12