Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney's Grand Californian VS. Disneyland Hotel

Which do you think is better? My husband and I are taking our 9 year old twin girls to Disneyland for the first time, end of April/beginning of May. I have compared both hotels on their website and they both seem to have their perks. Money isn't an issue so I'm really looking for what hotel will give us the most memorable experience. Thanks!

Re: Disney's Grand Californian VS. Disneyland Hotel

Grand Californian for sure! We have always stayed there, and it is magical!! The location is as close as you can get to the parks. Twice, our room has been right above the 'World of Disney' store.... perfect for people watching or watching the fireworks. The rooms are nice and clean, but nothing spectacular. You are definitely paying for the convenience and location. Don't miss out on the Chip n Dale Breakfast at the Storytellers Cafe. We have two little girls and they LOVE it! I can't say it enough.... MAGICAL!!

• The 1000th Happy Haunt

We stayed at the GCH for the first time last week, after many many stays at DLH. We love DLH and most of the new renovations are fantastic, but from here on out we stay at the Grand Californian. Here was our view from room 5246:

• Minion

We stayed at the DLH for the first time a few weeks ago and I just felt it had more of a Disney vibe then GCH dont get me wrong we love the GCH and was our first pick but they were booked so we chose DLH and loved it got a standard view and had a view of downtown disney and the rooms are more spacious IMO but GCH is very nice but rooms are a bit small and the view can be anywhere from pool, park, courtyard, DTD, valet drive, so many views but they aren't always that great like the world of color view out of 3 times we stayed there being DVC we got only one time view of paradise pier and the rest pool and valet so the views are very different

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Hello Dolly.

Disneyland Hotel just feels more magical to me. Though i haven't stayed since the renovations.

GCH we absolutely choose during the holidays though! I would say there's more to do/see there.

I do like GCH better. They have good restaurants & quick service food, very close to downtown & the parks, balconies, & you can catch the fireworks. The lobby is amazing as well, somewhere you'd like to hang out & relax for a while.

Can you see the fireworks from the Deluxe view rooms that are facing Downtown Disney? We are planning on going in May. We have usually stayed at the Paradise Pier so this is our first stay at the Grand Californian. Thanks!

Both are good hotels. The rooms at the grand a believe are a little smaller, at least the ones I stayed at. Also don't be mislead, the pictures above I believe are taken from a Dvc villa. You can rent these but they are a little more expensive if your not a member.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I stayed at both many times but my last trip I stayed at gch and my balcony was above the hotel entrance to the park so when I woke up in the morning I was right next to ggr and I had a view of the giant waterfall from my bed and balcony and that to me was awesome!

• Guardian Construct

My kids like the grand because we always ask for bunk beds. That way my kids don't have to share a bed. We cant afford to go if we book a larger room or tow rooms.

• Fish Food

Question for those of you who got nice views at GCH, did you pay extra for the view? I'm looking at booking a room in October and I would like to have a view of DTD or DCA, but the options that you pay for are confusing to me. They have a Partial Deluxe DTD view and a DTD view (how are these different?) If my chances of getting a view without paying extra are decent (it's quite a bit extra) I might be willing to take my chances and just book a standard view room.

I'm excited to stay there, I've always wanted to and never been in the position to splurge. Also it's been almost 4 years since I've been to Disneyland! I can't wait!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Shellyfish View Post
    Question for those of you who got nice views at GCH, did you pay extra for the view? I'm looking at booking a room in October and I would like to have a view of DTD or DCA, but the options that you pay for are confusing to me. They have a Partial Deluxe DTD view and a DTD view (how are these different?) If my chances of getting a view without paying extra are decent (it's quite a bit extra) I might be willing to take my chances and just book a standard view room.
    A standard rooms look at the parking lots on the west side.

DTD views can be a lot of rooftop when it's called partial, and there are not a lot of those rooms.

The good views do cost more, $15-$150 a night.

• Fish Food

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    A standard rooms look at the parking lots on the west side.

DTD views can be a lot of rooftop when it's called partial, and there are not a lot of those rooms.

The good views do cost more, $15-$150 a night.
    Thanks for your response. I booked our hotel and flight today! Alas, no view for us, but I'm glad to have it confirmed. Now I feel like I can really start to get excited about our trip. I do have one more question about GCH and I can't seem to find a straight answer on disneyland.com. What is the parking situation there? Do we have to pay extra to park and if so, how much?

• I am not a Krusty Krab

but with the grand the toilet paper is like cheap tissue paper. the coffee sucks and the room service is not great. Disneyland Hotel is way better

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Shellyfish View Post
    Thanks for your response. I booked our hotel and flight today! Alas, no view for us, but I'm glad to have it confirmed. Now I feel like I can really start to get excited about our trip. I do have one more question about GCH and I can't seem to find a straight answer on disneyland.com. What is the parking situation there? Do we have to pay extra to park and if so, how much?
    You have two options, Self Park ($15) or Valet ($22). I did the Self Park option, but note that the Self Park parking lot is actually across the street from the Hotel Entrance. I only stayed for one night, but I was able to check-in and my room was ready at 7am. I checked out the next day, stored my bags with the bell desk and left Disneyland at around 11pm. In total for the two full days, I was only charged $15 for parking.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by Pjimmeyer View Post
    We stayed at the GCH for the first time last week, after many many stays at DLH. We love DLH and most of the new renovations are fantastic, but from here on out we stay at the Grand Californian. Here was our view from room 5246:

see now youre just making us jealous

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast