Hotel for both relaxation and quick access?

We are heading to the resort the last week in September-- 4 full days. I would have selected HoJo, but it's booked. Second choice would be DLH or Paradise Pier. But both are showing 325 a night-- about 125 to 150 more than I would spend for this splurge. Now, my brain is numb looking for that perfect hotel for our needs. Here's what we're looking for:

1. walking distance if possible. we'll be heading back to the hotel daily for naps (4 kids [8 yrs to 20 months], 4 adults and 2 seniors in the group.)
    2. a place that is a tad more than just for crashing. Feel like at that time of year and for those many days, we can afford some time to rest. If it could be Hampton Inn quality, we'd be thrilled.
    3. a decent pool if possible.

At this point, we're juggling the following:
    • Ramada Maingate- 135
    • Best Western Anaheim Inn- 107
    • Anaheim Fairfield Inn- 139
    • Anabella....maybe- 95
    • still haven't ruled out the Hilton properties in Garden Grove...down harbour....but they charge for the shuttle.

Any advice on these or others we should consider? I've done searches here for the above hotels. Just wondering how they stack up based on this criteria. Not going to have a car, so parking doesn't matter.

Also, anybody know if the Disney properties charge the same "resort fees" and taxes as those across the street? I guess I'm holding out hope that the DLR hotels will suddenly look more viable, but not counting on it!

• Just waking up

Re: Hotel for both relaxation and quick access?

Try using priceline, in the Disneyland area a 3 *** hotels starting bids are staring about $40.00 and usually go up to about $50.00 a night, they are very decent hotel that are in the Disneyland area, but keep in mind that most Disneyland resort hotels always have some kind of way of taxing you if it is not the parking they will find something else. The 3.5*** Hotels might be something more in your range but starting bids are always over $50.00 and up but that is from what I see you are looking for. Go to priceline type up Anaheim CA all the hotels will show up there will a message saying save 60% now the hotels you do like you will see there price range subtract 60% and start using that as your starting bid, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy505 View Post
    Try using priceline, in the Disneyland area a 3 *** hotels starting bids are staring about $40.00 and usually go up to about $50.00 a night, they are very decent hotel that are in the Disneyland area, but keep in mind that most Disneyland resort hotels always have some kind of way of taxing you if it is not the parking they will find something else. The 3.5*** Hotels might be something more in your range but starting bids are always over $50.00 and up but that is from what I see you are looking for. Go to priceline type up Anaheim CA all the hotels will show up there will a message saying save 60% now the hotels you do like you will see there price range subtract 60% and start using that as your starting bid, good luck.
    Thanks sleepy505. What concerns me about this approach is that I can't specific an area close enough to walk to the parks in Priceline. Unless I'm missing something?

We have stayed at the Fairfield several times. The rooms are nothing special, but they are nice and clean. They do have "Disney-themed" rooms that have Disney posters and a couple other small touches in them. All the rooms we stayed in had sinks outside the bathroom, which is nice when you have several people trying to get ready in the morning. The pool is just that, a pool. This is the main issue I have heard people talk about. When walking to or from DL, you walk right past the pool every time and it has very little privacy. Speaking of walk, this is the best part. It is about a 5-8 minute walk to the main gate. We have younger kids and have easily walked back from break time in the middle of the day.

My biggest problem with the Fairfield is if you are using the Disneyland Express bus from the airport. In order to catch the bus you have to stand out at the sidewalk on Harbor Blvd. The way the hotel is situated, the bus cannot get to it. So when you drop off or pick up you have to walk from the road. If you are taking the Super Shuttle or some other van based service, they will drop you off at the front door.

• Embrace the kitsch!

I've never stayed at a Hampton Inn, so I can't make that comparison. That said, the four hotels you listed are pretty basic places w/ few amenities. If you want more than that, clean the slate and look elsewhere. Have you tried the Carousel or the Holiday Inn?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Another option to consider is the Candy Cane Inn. Close enough to walk, but they also have their own FREE shuttle. They also have a free breakfast that is more than your standard pastry, muffins and juice/coffee. Good Luck with your decision!!! They are probably at the higher end of your price range, but what you pay extra for in the nightly rate, with that many people, you will surely save on breakfast!

• Just waking up

Area 7 Disneyland North is the closet hotels you will get walking distance to the parks, Area 8 Disneyland South is from my experience are hotels more in the outskirts of the parks but tend to be more in the 3.5***1/2 star range which are more of the expansive hotel chains such as Hyatt, Double Tree, Hilton and Marriott I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by disney_wendi View Post
    Another option to consider is the Candy Cane Inn. Close enough to walk, but they also have their own FREE shuttle. They also have a free breakfast that is more than your standard pastry, muffins and juice/coffee. Good Luck with your decision!!! They are probably at the higher end of your price range, but what you pay extra for in the nightly rate, with that many people, you will surely save on breakfast!
    Candy Cane is sold out. But thanks for the advice.

---------- Post added 07-19-2012 at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I've never stayed at a Hampton Inn, so I can't make that comparison. That said, the four hotels you listed are pretty basic places w/ few amenities. If you want more than that, clean the slate and look elsewhere. Have you tried the Carousel or the Holiday Inn?
    Thanks. Not really after amenities as much as a overall sense of relaxation, etc. Carousel is certainly an option. I put it down on the list as it seems to have received a number of poor reviews of late as compared to others. But we'd consider it certainly. As long as it is clean, etc.

I see you have 10 people in your party... so I assume you're getting 2 rooms?

consider the Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate... their suites sleep 8, but with 4 kids, maybe those 4 kids could all share 1 king bed?. They also have cribs available to use for free. No resort fees or any of that nonsense. I stayed there with a party of 8 for $250/night, and IMO it's a great place

Besides a pool, they have a basketball court and playground. Also, the hot buffet breakfast is really good for a large party.

• Silent Lucidity

We are staying in the Tropicana in September. We like the location being across the street from the ART bus / pedistrian entrance. It is actually closer than the DLH to the Maingate! The hotel is OK, we have never experienced a problem; you pay for the location...

Have you checked out this map: Anaheim Visitor and Postal Center - Visitor Center
    Last edited by disneyhound; 08-11-2012 at 06:27 AM.