Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    639

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    I've got to say that the Priceline prices aren't as low as they used to be. I gave up and booked at a nearby hotel.

  2. #17

    • RCMC: Java Junkie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Castro Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,800

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    I've seen where people have had to bid for 2 weeks to be able to get the price they want or close to it. If a convention is going on, then you won't see as many rooms being sold to Priceline or Hotwire and probably not at steep discounts either.

    I'll agree that Priceline has changed over the last year, especially with changing and adding of zones in the Anaheim area. When I started I believe their was only 8 zones, and now it has 18 or 19. But I still like to use it, you can still get great deals from Priceline, or at least I do.

  3. #18

    • RCMC: Java Junkie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Castro Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,800

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Just a bit of info. I read an article in the Orange County Register about hotel rates in the Anaheim area being up 7.5% over last year and in July they were over 90% filled. All due in part to the new CarsLand.

  4. #19

    • Just waking up
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Posts
    67

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Yea I had a feeling it was because of CarsLand it don't surprise me at all, I new once the new addition to CA they would raise prices on everything.

  5. #20

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,145

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    Just a bit of info. I read an article in the Orange County Register about hotel rates in the Anaheim area being up 7.5% over last year and in July they were over 90% filled. All due in part to the new CarsLand.
    The Disney Hotels have been rented out over 90% this of course isn't uncommon for them. Because the Disney Hotels are so large themselves, they make a decent portion of all the hotel rooms in the Platinum Triangle. As a group Disney Hotels are rented at the industry max 85%. Non Disney hotels in the area average 65%. To get these numbers many are at or near 100% on weekends, during holiday periods and in the Summer. Then lower during the other weekday periods. To get the best hotels rates and best choice when availability is high go during the offseasons on weekdays. Avoid conventions if staying south of Harbor, this is espeically important for large conventions and particularily for national conventions. When the ACC is hosting LA area tournaments the hotel don't fill up.

  6. #21

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    603

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I've got to say that the Priceline prices aren't as low as they used to be. I gave up and booked at a nearby hotel.
    I've used Priceline and Hotwire in the past quite often, but now once you put resort fees + Priceline's own fees, things get expensive quick... Ie: $50 bid may end up being an $80/night once all the fees and taxes get rolled in.

    All of the hotels seem to be adding the fees. I've found that Last Minute Travel and Easyclick travel have been paying the fees. (I've stayed at the Hilton Twice, the Holiday Inn on Ball Twice, and the Red Lion All from them, they paid the fees (parking etc). And they were going at the time a lot lower than the wining bids on Priceline.

    Priceline is worth a try, but remember you have to calculate all the fees in your head, plus remember any hotel in a resort area will have fees... so figure them out as it's the "Priceline Tax".

  7. #22

    • RCMC: Java Junkie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Castro Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,800

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    I've used Priceline and Hotwire in the past quite often, but now once you put resort fees + Priceline's own fees, things get expensive quick... Ie: $50 bid may end up being an $80/night once all the fees and taxes get rolled in.

    All of the hotels seem to be adding the fees. I've found that Last Minute Travel and Easyclick travel have been paying the fees. (I've stayed at the Hilton Twice, the Holiday Inn on Ball Twice, and the Red Lion All from them, they paid the fees (parking etc). And they were going at the time a lot lower than the wining bids on Priceline.

    Priceline is worth a try, but remember you have to calculate all the fees in your head, plus remember any hotel in a resort area will have fees... so figure them out as it's the "Priceline Tax".
    That's why I don't bring the parking fees, resort fees etc into my hotel room per night equation. Those fees are just a given and just about every hotel in the area charges for them. Although some may differ on parking and resort fees. Some only charge a resort fee w/parking including, while others strictly charge a parking fee. So the fees just come with the territory.

    While bidding on your hotel room, those prices actually fluctuate depending on your bid. Don't get me wrong, all the fees do make the final cost go up in the end.

  8. #23

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    603

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    That's why I don't bring the parking fees, resort fees etc into my hotel room per night equation. Those fees are just a given and just about every hotel in the area charges for them. Although some may differ on parking and resort fees. Some only charge a resort fee w/parking including, while others strictly charge a parking fee. So the fees just come with the territory.

    While bidding on your hotel room, those prices actually fluctuate depending on your bid. Don't get me wrong, all the fees do make the final cost go up in the end.
    Yes,

    But that's why I recommend checking out LMT as they usually pay the fees. (although Parking at the convention Hotels is usually not).

    I'm going next weekend... so Here's my trial... for the hell of it, I figured I try Priceline... Red Lion was getting some hits, and I figured I'd give it a shot using data from Better Bidding)... I like the Red Lion because you can take the "free" shuttle from Toy Story. =-)

    I just tried Priceline 3 * or higher for 10/19-10/23, bid up to 65 a night (I used some of the "tricks" for the free rebid zones), no hits, looking up others had to pay $85-90 to get Red Lion lately. They (Priceline) recommended a $100/night bid (which means it was probably in that $80-90 range, as they usually recommend about 20-30% high)

    So I booked at LMT with the Hilton Anaheim for $64/night, and they paid the resort fee ($10/night). Plus unlike Priceline, it's for 4 people, two Queen or King beds, no issues. (I've used Priceline and they gave me a room with two twin beds once, when I asked for a queen bed, there was a $60 "upcharge" (San Francisco... although I havent had an issue with the Disney-Area hotels with a family of four yet).

    THEN there's this:

    Cancellation Policy (!) (Yes, unlike Hotwire and Priceline, there IS one!)
    Hotel cancellations or changes made 3 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to 1 night/s fee
    Hotel cancellations or changes made 1 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to a full fare fee
    No-show is subjected to a full fare fee

    Here's the details of my trip:

    Hotel Reservation Summary
    Reservation Status: Confirm
    Hilton Anaheim
    777 Convention Way Anaheim California 92802-3497
    Phone: +1 714 750 4321
    Fax:

    Issue Date: 11 Oct 2012
    Reservation Number: xxx
    Record Locator: xx
    Service Description
    Check In Check Out Room Type Guests Rooms Nights Board Base
    19 Oct 2012 23 Oct 2012 Standard 4 1 4
    Supplements
    Resort Fee - Included
    Guests
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Price Information
    Cost: 323.08 USD (That's with Tax, Resort Fee, Booking Fees... everything... $80/night!)


  9. #24

    • RCMC: Java Junkie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Castro Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,800

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Yes,

    But that's why I recommend checking out LMT as they usually pay the fees. (although Parking at the convention Hotels is usually not).

    I'm going next weekend... so Here's my trial... for the hell of it, I figured I try Priceline... Red Lion was getting some hits, and I figured I'd give it a shot using data from Better Bidding)... I like the Red Lion because you can take the "free" shuttle from Toy Story. =-)

    I just tried Priceline 3 * or higher for 10/19-10/23, bid up to 65 a night (I used some of the "tricks" for the free rebid zones), no hits, looking up others had to pay $85-90 to get Red Lion lately. They (Priceline) recommended a $100/night bid (which means it was probably in that $80-90 range, as they usually recommend about 20-30% high)

    So I booked at LMT with the Hilton Anaheim for $64/night, and they paid the resort fee ($10/night). Plus unlike Priceline, it's for 4 people, two Queen or King beds, no issues. (I've used Priceline and they gave me a room with two twin beds once, when I asked for a queen bed, there was a $60 "upcharge" (San Francisco... although I havent had an issue with the Disney-Area hotels with a family of four yet).

    THEN there's this:

    Cancellation Policy (!) (Yes, unlike Hotwire and Priceline, there IS one!)
    Hotel cancellations or changes made 3 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to 1 night/s fee
    Hotel cancellations or changes made 1 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to a full fare fee
    No-show is subjected to a full fare fee

    Here's the details of my trip:

    Hotel Reservation Summary
    Reservation Status: Confirm
    Hilton Anaheim
    777 Convention Way Anaheim California 92802-3497
    Phone: +1 714 750 4321
    Fax:

    Issue Date: 11 Oct 2012
    Reservation Number: xxx
    Record Locator: xx
    Service Description
    Check In Check Out Room Type Guests Rooms Nights Board Base
    19 Oct 2012 23 Oct 2012 Standard 4 1 4
    Supplements
    Resort Fee - Included
    Guests
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Price Information
    Cost: 323.08 USD (That's with Tax, Resort Fee, Booking Fees... everything... $80/night!)


    Nice deal I've stayed at the Hilton only once, it was the 1st time I used Priceline and that was my winning bid.

    I do agree that Priceline and Hotwire isn't exactly what it used to be a couple of years ago. I think that is due in part to the travel industry finally getting a rebound. That and the whole industry is run on a supply and demand issue. People pay it, so over course they're going to keep charging it.

    I'll have to keep both those websites you mentioned in mind the next time I'll be in the area. Granted I'll be there next month but I already have my hotel arrangements this time around.

    Like you, I do refer to betterbidding before I do any bidding, just so I can get feel for what the prices are and what to expect. Whenever Priceline does a counter offer, I always cut that amount in half and usually I get a take on it. If not I'm still only a couple dollars off. Priceline does take patience though. If your anxious for a win, often times you end up over paying. Unless things are just sold out. I also check a number of the hotels that I know they do business with Priceline and see if they have availability. If a lot of them don't chances are your going to have a rough go with bidding.

    Thanks for your input and sharing your win

  10. #25

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,029

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    My mom uses price-line and shes been happy with the bids we've got red lion and crown plaza for $50-$70 every time

    It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

  11. #26

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    603

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    My mom uses price-line and shes been happy with the bids we've got red lion and crown plaza for $50-$70 every time
    What dates??? I've not seen them go for under $70 lately on the boards... even in this "slow season". 2 Years ago I could get a Priceline hit at $40 for one of the *** 1/2 stars... but no longer.

  12. #27

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    639

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    I was just able to book the Doubletree for 62 a night on Priceline. I left a review at betterbidding.


  13. #28

    • RCMC: Java Junkie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Castro Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,800

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I was just able to book the Doubletree for 62 a night on Priceline. I left a review at betterbidding.
    Guest Suites on Harbor or the one on City Drive? Everytime I've won Doubletree its been for the City Drive. It's pretty nice and I enjoy it, but it takes about a 10 min drive to the parking structure when visiting the parks. I rarely see postings for the Guest Suites on Harbor on Betterbidding's website, although I hear it's nice.

  14. #29

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    35

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    I picked up 2 rooms at a 3 star in dl south for 60 bucks a night, no hidden fees, free hot breakfast, free parking and free wifi at the Ayres Inn on Hotwire. I also used betterbidding and knew what I was getting b4 I purchased. It is a drive to the grounds, but who cares at this price!
    I read several reviews on tripadvisor and there were barely any negatives and was four stars. I also called them twice prior to purchasing to see what kind of customer service I would received when mentioning that I was using Hotwire. Both times I spoke to different people who both were super friendly and noted my request for a room on the top floor with a king size away from the elevator and stairs. They both sayed the same thing, " Hotwire or not, you are still a customer to the hotel and we treat all customers equally"
    needless to say I was super impressed. All in with rental car and 2 rooms I payed 1100 for 7 nights, and will not have added expenses for daily breakfast and parking ( at the hotel, that is) and I'm sure I will love the dial speed of the free wifi too!

  15. #30

    • RCMC: Java Junkie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Castro Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,800

    Re: Priceline or Hotwire what has been your latest winning bids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustinius View Post
    I picked up 2 rooms at a 3 star in dl south for 60 bucks a night, no hidden fees, free hot breakfast, free parking and free wifi at the Ayres Inn on Hotwire. I also used betterbidding and knew what I was getting b4 I purchased. It is a drive to the grounds, but who cares at this price!
    I read several reviews on tripadvisor and there were barely any negatives and was four stars. I also called them twice prior to purchasing to see what kind of customer service I would received when mentioning that I was using Hotwire. Both times I spoke to different people who both were super friendly and noted my request for a room on the top floor with a king size away from the elevator and stairs. They both sayed the same thing, " Hotwire or not, you are still a customer to the hotel and we treat all customers equally"
    needless to say I was super impressed. All in with rental car and 2 rooms I payed 1100 for 7 nights, and will not have added expenses for daily breakfast and parking ( at the hotel, that is) and I'm sure I will love the dial speed of the free wifi too!
    That's awesome. I've won a number of bids at the Double Tree across the street. Yes it is about a 10 min drive to the parks. Not too bad, and not the same as walking across the street if you forgot something or want to take a nap during the day. But if you want a cheaper price without sacrificing quality, then some kind of comprise has to be made some where. Majority of my visits I stay off site to keep the costs down. I can do 2 to 3 times more trips if I stay off site than to stay on property.

    I do hear the Ayres Inn is a nice place and having parking and a hot breakfast included in cost is a pretty good deal as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Fun] What have been your best experiences with Cast members?
    By SydneyMouse in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM
  2. [Question] Which parade has been your favorite?
    By HiddenMickeyBook in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 08:59 PM
  3. What has your city/town been taken over with?
    By garbear in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 05:02 PM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 07:01 AM
  5. What has Everest's operating schedule been like?
    By tloolgb in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 10:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •