I am clueless about where to stay ...

Relatives of mine will be visiting D-land next month on a modest budget with their elementary school age children and are looking for a reasonably-priced motel near the parks. I know nada about the places along Harbor and those behind Disneyland (on Katella, near the Mickey & Friends parking structure). Any recommendations? I am reading through the postings in this section - but am hoping for some short responses under this post. Thanks so much in advance!

Re: I am clueless about where to stay ...

Should add that they would like to be able to walk to the Parks vs. taking a shuttle. Thanks!!

carousel inn is one of the least expensive and also right across the street from the main entrance.

• Under that tree again!

How cheap, and how much do they expect in a room?

• Disneymom

I would also like some advice on hotels. In the past we've stayed at the Super 8 on Disneyland drive and I would recommend it to anyone as it is clean, and friendly and has a breakfast and no bugs. Do not stay at the Super 8 on Katella as it sucked. I'd like to stay at a nicer hotel but am on a limited budget. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    I would also like some advice on hotels. In the past we've stayed at the Super 8 on Disneyland drive and I would recommend it to anyone as it is clean, and friendly and has a breakfast and no bugs. Do not stay at the Super 8 on Katella as it sucked. I'd like to stay at a nicer hotel but am on a limited budget. Any advice?
    Carousel Inn is cheap and clean and super close. Has a continental breakfast that isn't too bad. The rooms are clean and nicely appointed. It's not the Ritz-Carlton, but it's not a Motel 6 either. It's mid-grade. I've stayed there and am going back next month.

For just a little more, Anaheim Camelot Inn and Suites is a little nicer, right next door to the Carousel. The breakfast isn't as good, but I ususally don't eat at the hotel, so that wasn't a factor for me. The rooms are larger, bathroom and vanity are larger, and the amenities are better quality. The in-room coffe is not so good, though.

We stayed @ the Ramada Main Gate and were not disappointed. Definitely in walking distance to return to the room for meals and spend the rest of the day in the park. Free breakfast is ok, but I'd also make use of grocery stores and the mini fridge.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    To find something in a comparable price range, it's hard to find better, but you can stay closer. The Anaheim Plaza Inn, and possible the Desert Inn and Suites. These can be half as much as the ones mentioned above, and are both within a 7 minute walk to the gates. The API does not have a breakfast, though it does have a good breakfast buffet that is about $12 and free for kids with a paying adult.

Quote Originally Posted by rkkm View Post
    Relatives of mine will be visiting D-land next month on a modest budget with their elementary school age children and are looking for a reasonably-priced motel near the parks. I know nada about the places along Harbor and those behind Disneyland (on Katella, near the Mickey & Friends parking structure). Any recommendations? I am reading through the postings in this section - but am hoping for some short responses under this post. Thanks so much in advance!

Red Lion...

You can walk next door to Toy Story and take a shuttle... for free! and they're constant, so the problem of a "Shuttle" is gone (the cost and the 30-60 min waits).

Also the Holiday Inn behind mickey and friends... nice place, and the walk around mickey and friends is about 5 mins, and pick up the tram from there.

I've stayed at both.

My biggest issues with the hotels on Harbor across from disneyland... they're expensive for basic 1-2 star places, and the parking/traffic/noise is through the roof.

• i believe in faeries.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylv View Post
    We stayed @ the Ramada Main Gate and were not disappointed. Definitely in walking distance to return to the room for meals and spend the rest of the day in the park. Free breakfast is ok, but I'd also make use of grocery stores and the mini fridge.
    i agree. i stayed at the ramada in september, and it's a great location, def. walking distance. the pool is decent too, which is always good for the kids during downtime. the free continental breaky is just ok... but it is served in a courtyard by the pool and constantly replenished.

desert inns and suites is a fantasic location as well, decent rooms, and an ok pool. i haven't stayed there in a couple years, so i don't remember if they have a free breakfast or not, just how close the hotel is (across the street).

candy cane inn is a little further, but is a cute little mom n' pop motel... it is walkable, but depending on young the children are, a shuttle at the end of the night (after walking in the parks all day) is available.

we're staying at quality inns and suites on manchester when we go in may... i have never stayed there, but the location seems great and the price was even better, so we'll see.

basically, i look for no frills, but clean and safe, and withing close proximity to the parks. good luck in your search!