Hotels near Universal Studio advice

I`ve stayed at all three Disney Resort hotels with the family,and really like the GCH best. When by myself, I`ve stayed at the Quality Inn on South Manchester, which was inexpensive but clean and fine just for me. Any advise on hotels near Universal, what to avoid, which are more family friendly, and which are inexpensive for when I travel alone.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Hotels near Universal Studio advice

Unfortunately its not DLR where the parks and convention center drew in a huge amount and variety of hotels.

You probably know that in the Universal Resort are a sheraton and hilton. There are some small motels across the freeway. I don't have experience staying at those and am not sure of their names either.

An option is to arrive by train. The Metro Redline is a subway that stops nearly across the street from the trams up to the USH gates. It goes south under the city of LA and from there you can transfer. That may open up some options for you.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Something on the Red Line route is a good suggestion- I take the Red Line to Universal when I go. North Hollywood is one stop away from Universal, as is Hollywood and Highland station.

Enjoy your visit! I hope you find a great hotel.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Thank you for the replies. Reading up on it , it seems that Knotts Berry Farm would be a better 2nd to Disneyland than Universal.

I've stayed at the Sheraton Universal Hotel. Lovely, comfy rooms with fantastic views. Minutes away from Universal City Walk (by foot). The staff was really friendly, nice grounds, a great stay. I was there for business, but they seemed equally amenable to families.

Of course it's all down to personal taste (none will hold a candle to Disney), but a few years ago a friend and I were in Southern CA and decided on a spontaneous trip to DL, only to arrive and find out it was at maximum capacity. So instead we gave Knott's a try. Granted, I was comparing it to a long-held childhood image of the place, but I was really let down. It just seemed a bit sad and grimy. Sure, they have thrill rides, but there was none of that "magic" or atmosphere that makes DL so special. I'd actually opt for an extra day in DL/DCA over Knott's, but if you want a 2nd destination, I'd personally probably recommend Universal (or even a day at the beach). That said, I've no doubt there are plenty who feel otherwise...the only way to know is to give one or both a try. Enjoy your trip!