• King Of WDW

Question Recent Stay At The Grand Californian

My family and I stayed at the Grand Californian for the first time two weeks ago. We are DVC members and our home resort is Bay Lake Tower in WDW. Overall we had a really great stay and thought the resort was fantastic. (I know, hear comes the but.) But, they couldn't get our room ready until after 6pm on our arrival day (6:20 to be exact) and that was a REAL hassle. I know that check in time is 4pm but this wasn't even close. When I inquired about the state of our room a little before four I was told that what that really meant was anytime AFTER four. WTH! The rub is that our family wanted to go swimming after a hot morning and afternoon in Disneyland Park and we had stored our luggage for later with the bellhop service (the bellhops were very helpful I might add) so we had to get the luggage in the lobby to get our swimwear out and change in the very wet and hot poolside bathroom...which I slipped and fell in while changing. The fall might be adding to my anger about the check in time issue but I just don't see why out room couldn't be ready by four. This was our first day on site and I got us off on a bit of a bad foot. We ended up having a fine time but this was just a inconvenience that I feel could have be avoided by the resort staff. Am I wrong? Thoughts?

• Selfie Expert

Re: Recent Stay At The Grand Californian

I would be rather miffed about that late of a check-in, too. I've only stayed at the Grand twice, but both times we checked in by 9am... We get the standard/basic room, though, so if you had any kind of upgraded room I'm sure there are less available. I'm sorry you didn't have the best experience! I would write them a note to let them know how they could have improved your stay.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• King Of WDW

Thanks I might send them an email. BTW, it was for the smaller deluxe suite. I should have mentioned that before. Again, we had a great time, I was just hoping that this was not the norm for them. We will most likely be there again as we have family in LA and we usually visit them every summer. I can't wait to see what Disney does over at the Disneyland Hotel when they build their new DVC wing.

• former CM

Thumbs up Re: Recent Stay At The Grand Californian

My post relates on slightly to the title of the thread, and not your check-in concerns, in fact as locals we've never stayed there, but we've easily spent over 40 (awake) hours there in the lobby listening to excellent Christmas carolers, piano players, and storytellers, reading and feeling right at home in a comfy chair in that beautiful lobby while my then toddler took her daily nap, having reasonably priced meals away from crowds in the attractive Whitewater Snacks (which has excellent CMs, btw), eating delicious food at the buffet, and having one of the most special restaurant meals of our lives at the chef's table in Napa Rose, thanks to the nicest and most attentive restaurant staff I've ever encountered.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by mmousewdw View Post
    Thanks I might send them an email. BTW, it was for the smaller deluxe suite. I should have mentioned that before. Again, we had a great time, I was just hoping that this was not the norm for them. We will most likely be there again as we have family in LA and we usually visit them every summer. I can't wait to see what Disney does over at the Disneyland Hotel when they build their new DVC wing.
    I've liked just about all of the GCH CMs I've encountered, but Disney hotels do not seem to strive to rise to the Four Seasons' level, where some of their best staffs would have used their screw up to more than make up it. (Though it's probably less likely they would have screwed up like that in the first place.) Has any American Disney resort EVER earned a 5-star or diamond rating?

Do contact Disney. The squeaky wheel gets the fruit basket/cookie service & flowers.

Place is overpriced for how i have been treated here. I always suggest a grand suite at the Hilton for the same price. Exceptional service
    Love meeting new fellow Disney fanatics! Facebook Me: Michael Van Anthony Jr

We had a similar experience at DLH. We splurged on one night on the concierge level at the end of our trip last summer, and were very disappointed to wait well past check-in time after arriving at the hotel at 10:30am. I got the impression that our room would be ready after a short bit, so we waited and waited in the concierge lounge, and finally a housekeeper overheard my DD on the phone complaining to her BF and took care of us right away, when the concierge staff did nothing but shrug.