Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Blue Bayou: so bad for vegetarians

I could swear I posted on here before...maybe I'm wrong. Well I meant to. I wanted to say there are several decent veggie meals at the parks to choose from including: cheese pizza, fruit plates, veggie sandwiches (thinking White Water here), PBJ for kids, mac and cheese, and of course the mexican food restaurant which has enchiladas, rice and beans. Yum! Anyway, this pertains to vegetarian foods, I'm not an expert on strictly vegan food, sorry. And low fat, well sorry I don't count calories much these days and I'm not saying these are low-fat foods with the exception of fruit which is delicious.

BTW, the pictures inside Blue Bayou for dessert are great, and what a good suggestion--dessert only, that's the best part anyway right?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    There is a vegan restaurant that cooks it food at a low temp in order to not destroy its nutrients.

It is called 118 Degrees, and it is in Costa Mesa at 2981 Bristol St.in the Camp shopping center. It is about 20 minutes from Disneyland and has received rave reviews.

I have not eaten there but my almost 80 year old meat-and-potato parents took my sister in law there for her birthday and they loved it.
    Would this be at all similar to the "raw" food movement I have heard tossed around a lot lately? I don't know much about it personally.

My veg suggestion is Vegi Wokery in Cerritos. All vegetarian menu and they use tofu and such. They are not open Sundays and close daily for lunch as it's a family run place. It might even be vegan, I'm not 100% sure.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkmomma View Post
    Would this be at all similar to the "raw" food movement I have heard tossed around a lot lately? I don't know much about it personally.
    I guess this would be considered a raw food restaurant. At least that's what they call themselves on the review I read online, which by the way, was excellent.

• Proud "Dis-nerd"

Thanks, I always look forward to going to So Cal for the variety of restaurants. Glad to put that one on the list.

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blendywee

Quote Originally Posted by lovedisney33 View Post
    i dont agree. ill eat fish, but not meat, and i feel i have a great selection to choose from.
    Isn't fish a meat? If you eat fish, you eat meat.

I myself don't eat red meat and luckily nowadays it is much easier to find chicken on the menus. However, I must say that I think the BB is highly overrated. Great atmosphere, but the overall dining experience always leaves me feeling a tad frustrated. First, you must get your reservation in early, then you are repaid with that reservation by showing up and having to wait in that little room with 25 other people for a good 30-45 minutes. Finally you get your table, chances are it won't be lagoon side, and then can order from a pricey and very limited menu. The food is good, but hardly worth the price. If I got such a dish at a Coco's or Norm's, I would be content, but when the food is dressed up to be fine dinning I have to laugh.

And for all those curious why one who dislikes the BB, returns; firstly it took me a couple trips and some maturity to make sure it wasn't one bad experience or me being a fussy teenager who wanted a burger. Secondly, my family is a sucker for the prestige and feels it is a staple of a Disney visit to dine at the BB.

Best dining experience at Disneyland? So far, my girlfriend at the time and I went to Pizza Port. I got a slice, she got some pasta. The portions are huge, tasty, and reasonably priced. They were so huge that we were comfortable splitting them in half so we both got a normal slice of pizza and a side of pasta for around 10 bucks.

• no flash photography...

BB is overrated. they want to be upscale, but the only thing upscale about is is the price pint. the food is not very good at all. The only time I get decent service there is when I go right when it opens. As soon as it gets slightly busy the service is horrible.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Isn't fish a meat? If you eat fish, you eat meat.
    Don't know if this will be off topic or not..

From what I've heard, people who don't eat red meat, pork, livestock or poultry but eat fish are considered pescetarian.
    There are so many categories of vegan/vegetarianism now.

• Proud "Dis-nerd"

Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    Don't know if this will be off topic or not..

From what I've heard, people who don't eat red meat, pork, livestock or poultry but eat fish are considered pescetarian.
    There are so many categories of vegan/vegetarianism now.
    That's us, pescetarian. People sometimes confuse it with Presbyterian.

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blendywee

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wbarley View Post
    That's us, pescetarian. People sometimes confuse it with Presbyterian.
    Haha. I heard that in a movie one time.

It's true: Blue Bayou has fallen from grace. It once was my favorite restaurant, but now I've moved to Cafe Orleans...or Ralph Brenan's Jazz Kitchen. The food used to be exquisite...now, they would have to pay me to eat there. What a shame what they've done to a posh resource.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

Catholics have a thing called Lent and not eating meat on Fridays is a big part of it.
    Well the thing is, most serve fish on these Fridays! So I guess the church considers fish separate from the meat category.

• Disney Cast Member

So Im taking my mom for her first time in 13 years to DLR, I go yearly, but that last time she ate at the BB was in 1995...also the last time she was there, I have a reservation for the BB on the 16th for dinner and Im going to have them sing happy birthday to her (which she doesnt know about) because this is hers and my b-day trip. I figured taking her to the BB would be something special for her, she seems excited about going. I always get the CousCous Maque Choux. Its worth it I would say, yea?

I'm vegetarian, and I'm disgusted with the place, too. I used to be able to order the interesting Mardi Gras Salad, but now all the restaurant serves is a wedge of iceberg lettuce. And, the location, as well as most others in Disneyland, has never offered any vegetarian protein. Disney should be ashamed of itself for providing such poor customer service.

I'm really sorry but if you even remotely researched ahead of time, you would have known this. And as to the only 1 vege dish, its perfectly fine since restaraunts usually only plan 10% of their menu for vegetarians, which 1.4 rounds down to 1, so it was 10%. I keep seeing this review pop up at the top and wanted to take a look and it seems like nonsense. You put up a decent review, but come on, does anyone here really recommend any Disney food as delicious? NO because at best, Club 33 food is like 3 star and most Disney restaraunts are only good for ambience and also if you want to avoid the burger shacks and turkey legs.

• Workin to live,lovin life

I seriously wish that the Disneyland Resort would offer healthier choices too. I mean, I guess it's not cheap to make healthy foods, but at least be a leader in helping America not be fat. I'm not saying that I eat the healthiest out of anyone (I don't have the discipline of vegans/ vegetarians), but at least offer tasty food that's not gonna clog everyone's arteries before they're 30.

But on a side note, I always choose the Vineyard Room in California Adventure over Blue Bayou any day. Best service, great food, and it's cheaper than going to an a Vineyard with equivalent food quality in Temecula. Plus you've got parades rolling by below the restaurant.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast