Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Super Hero

Re: Blue Bayou: so bad for vegetarians

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    It's only about 50/50 vegetarian dishes/non-veggie, and I've never been there myself, but I have some veggie friends who swear by Rutabegorz in Fullerton, just off of Harbor.

Home
    Ooooh, I love Rutabegorz! Rice-A-Ruta's, mmmmmm. Now I need to go there on my next trip to SoCal.

And I've never been able to figure out iceberg wedge salads.
    I've never been able to figure out why anyone would want to eat iceberg lettuce when they're are so many other tastier salad greens.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Green View Post
    I'm not a vegetarian but am not a fan of their food. I go though, fot the environment! it's awesome!
    "not a fan of their food?"

How about Mac & Cheese? Corn on the cob? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Baked potato?

Vegetarian food isn't some special alien substance. It's food that doesn't happen to contain meat. Most people eat some vegetarian foods every day.

• Sock Puppet

"All members are reminded that MiceChat rules do not allow Political and Religious discussion/images on the main forums."

Quote Originally Posted by SimpTwister View Post
    "not a fan of their food?"

How about Mac & Cheese? Corn on the cob? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Baked potato?

Vegetarian food isn't some special alien substance. It's food that doesn't happen to contain meat. Most people eat some vegetarian foods every day.
    Oh, wait - I misunderstood Captain Green. I think he meant he's not a fan of BB. That makes more sense.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acegear View Post
    Not slamming anyone here but it seems to me that more research could have been done before even placing a reservation at the Blue Bayou. A simple Google, or similar, search would have shown exactly what you unfortunately found out first-hand. Personally I don't have a very sophisticated palette, so I always attempt to know my choices before hand, especially if I am going to fly several thousand miles for a vacation. However, I hope the rest of your visit was good!
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The entire resort is bad for anybody on a Vegetarian/Vegan or even a simple low-fat diet.
    My thoughts exactly.

However, my wife and I like the Cobb Salad at Plaza Inn and even at Storytellers......

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkmomma View Post
    Do you mean soy protein or something else? I know they do serve veggie burgers at several DL locations including Hungry Bear.
    Worst meal EVER. It takes longer to cook the veggie burger so they can dry it out and make it tough and inedible. i refuse to eat ANYTHING from the HB because of that. I just get a big thing of fruit from the cart if the group is eating at the HB.Filling and delicious!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Worst meal EVER. It takes longer to cook the veggie burger so they can dry it out and make it tough and inedible. i refuse to eat ANYTHING from the HB because of that. I just get a big thing of fruit from the cart if the group is eating at the HB.Filling and delicious!
    That's a great idea.....I haven't eaten at Hungry Bear in well over a decade......to me, even the CARNIVORE burgers have the consistency of shoe leather.........and a dried out, veggie version doesn't sound any more appetizing.

Seriously though, if one is seeking something healthy and nutritious, I must say that there are a few places around the DLR that offer some very tasty salads.....

• The one, the only...

One of the differences between Disneyland and WDW is the food. At WDW you can talk to the chef and have specially prepared food. It is very common at resorts, not just Disney places. The Blue Bayou should be that level of restaurant. Not a "re-heat" in the microwave restaurant, but a true high class restaurant. (You certainly are paying high enough prices for that level of service!) I would try requesting to speak to the chef and seeing what happens. You should be able to have a vegetarian version of any selection on the menu. In fact, the chef should be able to prepare a special meal for any dietary request, low-sodium, Kosher, or vegetarian.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    One of the differences between Disneyland and WDW is the food. At WDW you can talk to the chef and have specially prepared food. It is very common at resorts, not just Disney places. The Blue Bayou should be that level of restaurant. Not a "re-heat" in the microwave restaurant, but a true high class restaurant. (You certainly are paying high enough prices for that level of service!) I would try requesting to speak to the chef and seeing what happens. You should be able to have a vegetarian version of any selection on the menu. In fact, the chef should be able to prepare a special meal for any dietary request, low-sodium, Kosher, or vegetarian.
    WDW had the luxury of space when it was designed. None of the DL New Orleans restaurants has its own full kitchen, nor is there space for them.

You'd have to go down to the New Orleans Main Kitchen to speak with the Blue Bayou chef.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The entire resort is bad for anybody on a Vegetarian/Vegan or even a simple low-fat diet.
    I've found this
    Grilled Vegetable Sandwich - With red bell peppers, zucchini, lettuce, tomato, Provolone cheese, guacamole, and tomato pesto mayonnaise, served with marinated slaw. $7.99
    at Tomorrowland Terrace to be really good everytime I've had it.
    Also this
    Three Cheese Vegetable Medley - Cheddar, Monterey Jack, & Gruyere cheese, tomato, cucumber, red onion, lettuce and pesto mayonnaise, tucked into pretzel bread. With potato salad, green salad, or fresh fruit. $9.29
    at Carnation Cafe, is always good.

At DCA, at the Trattoria I've found
    Tuscan Salad* - Hearty salad of white beans, beets, black olives, red bell peppers, celery, salami, Roma tomatoes, mixed garden greens, mozzarella and our house-made croutons. Served with your choice of Italian, blue cheese, ranch or oil & vinegar $9.99 (which can be made vegetarian style)
    and
    Caprese Sandwich - Fresh Mozzarella, Roma tomatoes, red bell peppers, marinated artichokes, olives and capers drizzled with red wine vinaigrette on savory pretzel bread. $9.99
    Both to be good consistently.

Not a ton of options and none at Blue Bayou, but all of them have been really good.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Blue Bayou: so bad for vegetarians

It's only about 50/50 vegetarian dishes/non-veggie, and I've never been there myself, but I have some veggie friends who swear by Rutabegorz in Fullerton, just off of Harbor.
    Glad to hear that Rutabegorz is still there; I grew up in Fullerton (and Anaheim, born at St. Joseph's hospital in Orange) and remember when Ruta's was a coffee spot - with a kind of "sordid" reputation (being close to the Wilshire Theatre - a Known Hotbed of Hippy-types... this was the first place that I saw "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", made all the funkier by the 'contact high' I was getting from the smoke wafting down from the balcony!), and I remember when they expanded the coffe shop into a Vegetarian Restaurant and we used to walk over from Fullerton College to eat there - the Veggie Lasagna was great...

Egad, that was over 30 years ago!!
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• Workin to live,lovin life

I don't know what it is, but I'm not impressed with the Blue Bayou's food. I even went there about a year ago, and ate for free (you know how sometimes things taste better when they're free?) for a business trip, and it wasn't better. I haven't been since, and would rather go to other restaurants in Downtown Disney or the Gardenwalk. Same price or less, better food, and not too far of a walk.

Atmosphere is great at the Blue Bayou, one of a kind, but sometimes the service just isn't there either.

WOW!!! My dinner choices must keep me out of trouble. Out of perhaps twenty visits for dinner at the Blue Bayou about ten years ago I had the only less than perfect meal there, it was a pork roast, usually my favorite. When I mentioned to the waiter that it was not up to their usual standards, he took it right away, quickly brought a replacement, and did not charge me for the plate. My wife is diabetic and they have always gone out of their way to serve her a low carb meal of excellent quality. For the third year in a row we have Thanksgiving reservations at the Blue Bayou!
    Better luck to you on your next trip.
    Tex from Red Bluff

Maybe back in the day food at Disneyland had quality and meant something but not today. I'm surprised that folks would actually think there is good food at a theme park. We almost never eat at DL anymore. Everybody raves about this Monte Crisco. So I tried it since everybody loves it so much. Absolutely horrible. My wife and I call it the "Death Sandwich." I may have lost a few days of life from that one. Anybody who wants a special diet would be better off bringing it themselves.

• Super Genius

Quote Originally Posted by SimpTwister View Post
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
    I have a tough time keeping a straight face whenever I see "peanut butter and jelly" Here's why

YouTube - Dancing stormtrooper

Turn on your sound to understand the reference.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast