Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Main Street Maniac

Thumbs down Blue Bayou: so bad for vegetarians

I just wanted to share with you a bad experience I had last time I ate
    at Disneyland's Blue Bayou.

When:
    It all happened during a wonderful 10-day vacation my partner and I had last May.

Background:
    We regularly visit Disneyland Paris and, since we love
    to try different foods, everytime our budget allows for
    it, we eat at a table-service restaurant like Walt's or Blue
    Lagoon. We are both vegetarian but we never felt like we had no
    choice at the table-service restaurants of Disneyland Paris: there's always at least one (sometimes two) dishes to choose for each course and they all proved to be tasty and worth the money spent.

Facts:
    Before visiting Disneyland I asked some friends of mine (and some internet forums) about a special place at Disneyland to have my birthday dinner at Disneyland and many suggested the Blue Bayou, comparing it to the Blue Lagoon. Unfortunately, besides the theming, things couldn't be more different and, I'm sorry to say bad for the Blue Bayou. Here's what happened:

Bad:
    * there was NO choice at all for vegetarians! Among 14 dishes there was just 1 suitable for vegetarians (Portobello Mushroom and Couscous Maque Choux). In Paris all table service restaurant offer vegetarian choices;
    * The food was less than adequate. It was cold, half uncooked, and
    worst of all, sadly tasteless.
    * That said, the price was outrageous: we're quite used to spend
    some money when chosing restaurants like this, but the comparison with "real" restaurants was simply unacceptable.

Good:
    * The waiters: everybody there was really nice with us.
    * The ambiance: of course it was fantastic. Unfortunately, the dim lights didn't help our food taste better

I know that this complaints doesn't apply to a wide audience: if I wasn't vegetarian, I'd had much more options to choose from. That said, I think it's unacceptable for a restaurant known to be the best of the park to force some of its guests to face a 1 item menu or leave and pay a huge amount of money for it.

Suggestions:
    If you're vegetarian and are looking for a nice place to eat (as Walt's or
    Blue Lagoon are), don't go to Blue Bayou. Try instead Café Orleans: the
    food is much cheaper, much less pretentious, there are more than 2 dishes to choose and they're much more tasty!

BTW, when I'll have some more time, I'll post a full trip report with lots of pictures, of the Blue Bayou too!
    Visit my blog at

2008: Disneyland (15 years after the 1st visit!)
    2007: World of Disney New York City
    2006 Disneyland Resort Paris
    1992: Euro Disney Resort
    2005: Tokyo Disney Resort
    1998-2005: Disneyland Paris
    1997: Walt Disney World
    1993: Disneyland

• The line's too long...

Re: Blue Bayou: so bad for vegetarians

I eat fish but not meat, and I would also agree that Orleans has better food than Bayou. The mahi mahi at Bayou has no taste. The salmon is good. But overall, Orleans has better food and a better price. Pomme Frites!

Not slamming anyone here but it seems to me that more research could have been done before even placing a reservation at the Blue Bayou. A simple Google, or similar, search would have shown exactly what you unfortunately found out first-hand. Personally I don't have a very sophisticated palette, so I always attempt to know my choices before hand, especially if I am going to fly several thousand miles for a vacation. However, I hope the rest of your visit was good!

• Circle of Ancients

The entire resort is bad for anybody on a Vegetarian/Vegan or even a simple low-fat diet.

• In my own neverland

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have always loved going to the Blue Bayou; its a tradition for my family to eat there the first day of every trip. I have to say that I preferred the old menu. I am not a vegetarian, but I have several friends who are and I know that it can sometimes be tough to find tasty food.

I have also eaten at Walt's (long ago- like 10 years) and it was one of the best meals I had while in Paris. Hopefully I will get the chance to visit again someday and I think I will try Blue Lagoon now because of your praise!

• Banned User

I was told when we go to WDW that if we let them know at the time we make the reservation that we are vegitarian/vegan then they will acomidate. Did you do this? Did you tell them ahead of time so they could prepare you a dish? most of these places do not have vegan /vegitarian things on the menue, you have to request a duish be made for you when you make a reservation, then remind them the day you will be there ( confirm the reservation) sounds like you assumed there was foods for you, thats really not the case in many instances.

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The entire resort is bad for anybody on a Vegetarian/Vegan or even a simple low-fat diet.
    i dont agree. ill eat fish, but not meat, and i feel i have a great selection to choose from.

Die Vampire, Die!!!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I was told when we go to WDW that if we let them know at the time we make the reservation that we are vegitarian/vegan then they will acomidate. Did you do this? Did you tell them ahead of time so they could prepare you a dish? most of these places do not have vegan /vegitarian things on the menue, you have to request a duish be made for you when you make a reservation, then remind them the day you will be there ( confirm the reservation) sounds like you assumed there was foods for you, thats really not the case in many instances.
    I was just about to suggest that! Disney is really amazing with assisting guests with dietary needs if you just mention it to them. When I went to Disney World I didn't know anything about any of the menus. Whenever I mentioned that I was extremely allergic to nuts the chef would come out and talk with me in person! We went to Boma one night and they even prepared me the most amazing sorbet!!!

• Main Street Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    I was just about to suggest that! Disney is really amazing with assisting guests with dietary needs if you just mention it to them. When I went to Disney World I didn't know anything about any of the menus. Whenever I mentioned that I was extremely allergic to nuts the chef would come out and talk with me in person! We went to Boma one night and they even prepared me the most amazing sorbet!!!
    That is a terrific suggestion, thanks! I didn't even think it was possible!

I agree with sir clinksalot's comment about the resort not offering enough vegetarian/vegan/healtier options: we spent three days at Disneyland and we had the same thought. That came so much as a suprprise to us also because during our stay in Santa Monica and in the Los Angeles area (where we spent one unforgettable week) we were pleasantly surprised by the variety of vegan/vegetarian options and wrongly assumed it was going to be the same at Disneyland.

I guess it all derives from the fact that people on a vegan/vegetarian diet are not as widespread as they are in Europe. I recently read on a newspaper that 10% of Italians are vegetarian compared to a 4% in the U.S.
    Visit my blog at

2008: Disneyland (15 years after the 1st visit!)
    2007: World of Disney New York City
    2006 Disneyland Resort Paris
    1992: Euro Disney Resort
    2005: Tokyo Disney Resort
    1998-2005: Disneyland Paris
    1997: Walt Disney World
    1993: Disneyland

• Proud "Dis-nerd"

Any suggestions for vegetarian restaurants in the DLR area? We already know there's not much to eat at the parks, but are happy to venture outside if we have some good recommendations.

To be fair, they are trying to serve healthier food at the parks, there's a lot more available then there used to be. They still have a long way to go...

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blendywee

• Wishin' On A Star!!!!

Since the menu and price change at the Blue Bayou a few years ago, our group has found very few things we feel are worth the price. So we just go for dessert! Even our veggie friends say "Let us eat cake!"

I know, I know ......... eggs, dairy, flour, sugar, etc. If you're that strict you probably have to BYOF! (Bring Your Own Food)
    DisneyBroad54

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

I love the dessert idea! Lunch has even gotten outrageous. The $5.00 split charge no longer covers two soups/salads and the double side orders. The cost is just for them to put it on two plates. I don't mind paying a split charge but this was ridiculous. We had a great time and meal at the Cafe Orleans. BB doesn't offer the 3 cheese Monte Cristo either.
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

• MC, this is LD

Wink Re: Blue Bayou: so bad for vegetarians

Quote Originally Posted by lovedisney33 View Post
    i don't agree. ill eat fish, but not meat, and i feel i have a great selection to choose from.
    Hey we are exactly opposite! Interesting... I don't like fish, but I like meat, and it seems all that sounds tasty is the Monte Crisco, IMO best food ever... and Fillet' mignon, which I'm probably not eating till I pay for my own food...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by massimo View Post
    That came so much as a suprprise to us also because. during our stay in Santa Monica and in the Los Angeles area (where we spent one unforgettable week) we were. pleasantly surprised by the variety of vegan/vegetarian options and wrongly assumed it was going to be the same at Disneyland.

I guess it all derives from the fact that people on a vegan/vegetarian diet are not as widespread as they are in Europe. I recently read on a newspaper that 10% of Italians are vegetarian compared to a 4% in the U.S.
    This is because Southern California has two types of tourists -- those who visit the coastal areas and those who visit Disneyland. Each area caters to a specific demographic. Those who visit Newport Beach or Santa Monica tend to be a little more sophisticated and prefer a fresher, fine dining experience. On the other hand many Disneyland guests are in hog heaven with a turkey leg and a churro.

The Blue Bayou, even though it has a great setting, mainly serves overpriced deep-fried fair food. Not impressive at all. It does have other dishes, but the Monte Cristo, its signature dish is an item that would be the hit at the Orange County Fair.

Fine dining sounds like an important part of the DLP experience. At the original Disneyland, one should never expect a good food experience, no matter where the venue.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by wbarley View Post
    Any suggestions for vegetarian restaurants in the DLR area? We already know there's not much to eat at the parks, but are happy to venture outside if we have some good recommendations.

To be fair, they are trying to serve healthier food at the parks, there's a lot more available then there used to be. They still have a long way to go...
    There is a vegan restaurant that cooks it food at a low temp in order to not destroy its nutrients.

It is called 118 Degrees, and it is in Costa Mesa at 2981 Bristol St.in the Camp shopping center. It is about 20 minutes from Disneyland and has received rave reviews.

I have not eaten there but my almost 80 year old meat-and-potato parents took my sister in law there for her birthday and they loved it.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast