Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Rain Forrest Cafe Thread

I think considering how long you have to wait, it's not worth it!!! I had the pot roast last time and it was so salty that I barely touch it.... I like the atmosphere but this is not my favorite restaurant at DTD.
    Disneyland Deluxe Passholder

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

We used to frequent the one at Downtown Disney. Other nice locations are South Coast Plaza and in San Francisco.

Downtown Disney was definitely the place we used to eat at often - but the prices have escalated an awful lot.....and the service hasn't followed suit, in my opinion. I don't know........maybe the novelty of it has worn off......but I still like it - but I like to venture out to other places at Downtown Disney.

• Sock Puppet

We're members of their diner's club. It's handy just to be able to bypass the (usual) hour long line.

Is it the best restaurant in town? No. And it doesn't need to be.

We take it for what it's worth. A restaurant at a theme park.

The kids have fun there and we enjoy a decent meal in a timely manner.

Out of the six or so overnight trips to the Park per year, we enjoy Rainforest about two times per year. We also enjoy the House of Blues, ESPN Zone and the Jazz Kitchen.

We're not talking high-class eateries here. Just places to grab a decent meal during the trip.

Nothing more...Nothing less.

(BTW- since the kids enjoy it, we've also been to their locations in SF and Vegas. You know...TOURISTY locations)

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Quote Originally Posted by tamasurvivor View Post
    Its kinda sad because for ambience I kinda liked it but the food and menu doesnt really know whats going on with it... you have some americanized type of items but then you have some other attempts at tropical inspired things but it just doenst mix well for the menu! If you want a menu that does right and a type menu that Rainforest Cafe really should have theres this restaurant we have here in Phoenix called "The Elephant Bar" which I tried for my first time about a week ago [I hear they also have locations in Cali]
    I love The Elephant Bar! My DD (she's 7) and I went to The Rainforest Cafe last week and it was $30 for us to eat there and the food was terrible! I had the popcorn shrimp kids meal and it was just like the popcorn shrimp you buy in the frozen section at your grocery store. The kids pizza was average and the queso appetizer we ordered was not the best. The service is so so and the prices are way to expensive for what you actually get. My family would rather go to "The Elephant Bar" any day!
    Foolish Mortal

• Sock Puppet

^^^^^

There's an Elephant Bar in DTD???

We frequent an E-B too, as well as plenty of others, but since we're talking about eateries in DTD, comparisions to locations outside of it are a moot point.

For this discussion anyway...

Bon Apetite!

• Haunted Mansion Lover

The OP did not say anything about the location being DTD, just that the Rainforest Cafe is a great place to eat. I disagree no matter where it's located.
    Foolish Mortal

• Sock Puppet

Well, since this is the Southern CA Restaurant Review Forum...

Duh!

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Okay so I guess you have a point but I still think that all of the locations are probably not that great!
    Foolish Mortal

Excellent ADULT beverages, and after a few of those the food tastes OK!

• aka the scorpion eater!

just to clarify... I only mentioned The Elephant Bar because they offer similarities to Rainforest Cafe in some items on the menu and the overall tropic theme and are really the closest comparison as to a restaurant that can teach Rainforest cafe how to do things right!

Personally Rainforest cafe wouldnt be too bad if it was not for the bad service and food... I love the theme and the whole idea of how they deck out the restaurant with animals, plants, and greenery because it is amazing and fun but if they were to try and improve on the food and service they should take a lesson from The Elephant Bar.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Personally Rainforest cafe wouldnt be too bad if it was not for the bad service and food... I love the theme and the whole idea of how they deck out the restaurant with animals, plants, and greenery because it is amazing and fun but if they were to try and improve on the food and service they should take a lesson from The Elephant Bar.
    That is exactly how I feel!
    Foolish Mortal

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I have never had a good experience at the Rainforest Cafe. The food is crap, the service stinks, and the waiting time sucks hours off of your life. We've had 3 family celebrations absolutely ruined by what an awful time we had there, and I'd be hard pressed to ever set foot in that place again.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I have never had a good experience at the Rainforest Cafe. The food is crap, the service stinks, and the waiting time sucks hours off of your life. We've had 3 family celebrations absolutely ruined by what an awful time we had there, and I'd be hard pressed to ever set foot in that place again.
    Ah yes. Remember what happened last January when we all tried to eat there after we called in ahead and told them how big our group was and everything? I dont think Ive eaten there since.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Lowering Expectations

Yes the Volcanoes are overpriced but nothing beats when they bring it out and yell... VOLCANO!!!!
    Last time we dined at Rainforest, a volcano cake was brought past us and I wondered aloud how come the volcano is topped with a little silver streamer instead of an actual crackling sparkler like it shows on the dessert menu on our table. Our waiter told me that the Downtown Disney location is one of only a few Rainforest Cafes that doesn't use the sparklers, and the reason is because Disney does not allow any type of pyro on their property besides the ones in the park that they have control of. So that makes sense I guess.

He also said it's better for the waiters because they have been known to get burnt fingers and hands from trying to get the sparklers in the cake, so that's one less thing they have to worry about.

I'm not a tough food critic but I like their food.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

I think most Southern California cities ban sparklers, or would put so much regulation on their use as to make it prohibitive. I think Los Angeles County is more strict that Orange County or San Bernadino (where there's a Rainforest Cafe in the Ontario Mills mall), but you still don't see nearly as many cities with fireworks stands before the 4th of July as you used to, no matter which county you're in, as they're being outlawed in more and more places. Even sparklers. I'm trying to remember whether I had the Volcano at South Coast Plaza or Ontario Mills, but they also had the tinsel tassel. On the plus side, you can take it home, but on the minus side, what can you do with it?

I haven't had any major problems with the service at any of them, but the food is fairly mediocre. Some of the dishes are somewhat good, some are pretty bad, and most are in between, and nearly all are priced too high. You're definitely paying for the decor. Still, I've eaten at far worse places, and at least the atmosphere is fun, so I'd rate it a solid "basically so-so." We tend to go there by default when we're at DTD or OM and we can't agree on anyplace better to go to, so we settle for Rainforest.

(And as far as bad service goes, AVOID Gaucho's Village on Brand Blvd. in Glendale. Had the rudest, stupidest, most bigoted waiter I've ever seen ANYWHERE when I tried it a few days ago, and to make it worse, I think he might have actually been the manager. Awful awful awful. But I digress.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast