Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disneyland's #1 Fan

Talking Rain Forrest Cafe Thread

Rain Forrest Cafe Is An Awesome place
    Contact Me On Visions Fantastic (Another Disney Site)

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/foru.../gurugriff100/

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Re: Rain Forrest Cafe Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gurugriff100 View Post
    I have never seen a place that receives so much hype, when they serve below average food.
    I would give the ambience a 9
    I get better service at Applebee's so service gets a 5
    you get better food at denny's so food gets a 3

If you opened a cafe that only had the food and service of the Rain Forrest Cafe with out the show, you would be quickly out of business.
    Last edited by tahoebob54; 11-30-2008 at 08:17 AM.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Quote Originally Posted by Gurugriff100 View Post
    Well. Its good to know someone is impressed. Their food is mediocre at best, and Im slightly insulted by the amount of suggestive selling they do. Especially that annoying attempt to get you to join their frequent diner's program. Ugh.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I used to eat there a lot when DIP Jr was younger. Usually for breakfast. The food was ok. I just remember that at least for breakfast the portion sizes were not comparable to the price being paid. Other than that the food is ok I guess but I haven't eaten there in years.

It's been even longer since I've eaten at the one in South Coast Plaza, but I would be curious to find out if the food is any better there.

• no flash photography...

The food is average, the service sucks and I don't care for the atmosphere. I like the fish tank, but it's far to loud inside to enjoy a meal...not that the food is that enjoyable.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    I have never seen a place that receives so much hype, when they serve below average food.

If you opened a cafe that only had the food and service of the Rain Forrest Cafe with out the show, you would be quickly out of business.

This has been my experience as well. My kids love the thunder storm and animatronics so we conitinue to visit.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Disneyland's #1 Fan

I Never Had A Bad Experience There. It's Just That One Server Goes On Break And We Get Another One.
    Contact Me On Visions Fantastic (Another Disney Site)

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/foru.../gurugriff100/

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post

Yeah... what Bob said. Ditto.

• aka the scorpion eater!

well we used to enjoy it for the ambience at downtown Disney but as soon as my sister and her husband were snubbed on one of their trips by one of the servers... we never have made it a stop and refuse to eat there again!

Its kinda sad because for ambience I kinda liked it but the food and menu doesnt really know whats going on with it... you have some americanized type of items but then you have some other attempts at tropical inspired things but it just doenst mix well for the menu! If you want a menu that does right and a type menu that Rainforest Cafe really should have theres this restaurant we have here in Phoenix called "The Elephant Bar" which I tried for my first time about a week ago [I hear they also have locations in Cali]

Well theres a menu done right and Rainforest Cafe should really take a look at their competition on ways to improve.... theres a lot of asian/tropical/americanized items all one one menu, the portions were pretty good sized... not to mention they even had sweet potato fries as an option which is again something different and fits the tropical theme to the menu... The appetizers and items on their menu also fit the theme [lettuce wraps, rice dishes, certain BBQ dishes, shrimp dishes] and the prices were less than Rainforest Cafe.

• For You!

I like the RFC - I do have the frequent diner club - for $10 you get priority seating and a free appetizer every time. I have two little boys that love it - and it's great when it's dinner time and everybody in Disneyland is trying to get something to eat and there's an hour wait - we get to walk right in. So worth it.

And I love their wraps - We always split one because they are huge. And even though it's extremely overpriced, we do get a volcano almost every time.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• aka the scorpion eater!

Yes the Volcanoes are overpriced but nothing beats when they bring it out and yell... VOLCANO!!!!

Plus they are fun to eat with many people... that is one thing I always love.... sometimes we stop by the Rainforest Cafe at the Arizona Mills mall for the Volcano... its fun and amazing before doing some shopping!

• Minion

Eeewww!!!! No Way!!!

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

I have mixed feelings about the Rainforest Cafe. You have to remember though, that you're comparing it to the other restaurant offerings at Disney Downtown as well as Disneyland itself. So it's not exactly a high bar, and it really is difficult to have objective discussions about the quality of the food when the person dissing the food can't tell you exactly *why* they don't like it (and no, saying X is better doesn't cut it).

The atmosphere is loud and exciting, and for some people that's a plus and for others it's a real turnoff. You can walk into the place and get a feel for the atmosphere by the time you reach the fishtanks, and you can decide for yourself if its for you.

The food - I would say that food quality is consistent, in that each time I've been there and ordered the same items I've gotten the same thing, at least as consistently as any other restaurant I've been to. The food quantity is fairly large, and I find that as a 160 pound adult male I am full by sharing the entree with my wife.

The value for the price is highly variable depending on which items you get. The salads are much larger than even most dinner salads, and the main entrees are closer in size to what you might find a most popular chain family restaurants.

The frequent dining card is worth it if you plan on ever eating there again. The main reason is that you get a discount that pretty much offsets the price of the card the first time. The discount vs. appetizer ends up making it a particularly good value for both small and larger groups. I often eat there with my wife before heading into Disneyland for the evening - we get one entree (usually a salad) and the chicken quesadilla appetizer (which is free with the discount card), which is way more than enough food for the two of us. Also, because we have priority seating, we've waited at most 5 minutes to get seated, and most often we have no wait.

So, it's not the *best* dining experience I've had for $23 (tax tip drinks) for two people, but as far as a convenient place to eat before heading into Disneyland for the evening, it's probably the best overall value. When I'm feeling less hungry I eat a Wetzel hot dog, and when it's a special night we'll make a reservation at the Napa Rose.

• Proud US Navy Wife

I had the lovely experience at DTD Rainforest Cafe of my server butting into me talking to my little sister about personal issues (she was crying) and asking me where his tip was.. He gave me a story that they will not pay him as much if he doesn't get tips because of the taxes on our food.. But I am pretty sure we paid taxes on it already.. I think he was out of line.. He was slow on service, we had to flag other servers down for drink refills or napkins or boxes because he disappeared and the only time he really did come, when we ordered, he heard that my friend who was dining with us was a cast member and he told us a long story of how he used to be one, which could have been interesting if we weren't starving..! I ended up telling him that the hubby and my dad had the money and I would go talk to them about it and be back.. We bolted.. Am I correct in thinking that was uncalled for and rude?

Quote Originally Posted by Kittiekyo View Post
    I had the lovely experience at DTD Rainforest Cafe of my server butting into me talking to my little sister about personal issues (she was crying) and asking me where his tip was.. He gave me a story that they will not pay him as much if he doesn't get tips because of the taxes on our food.. But I am pretty sure we paid taxes on it already.. I think he was out of line.. He was slow on service, we had to flag other servers down for drink refills or napkins or boxes because he disappeared and the only time he really did come, when we ordered, he heard that my friend who was dining with us was a cast member and he told us a long story of how he used to be one, which could have been interesting if we weren't starving..! I ended up telling him that the hubby and my dad had the money and I would go talk to them about it and be back.. We bolted.. Am I correct in thinking that was uncalled for and rude?
    Ok. I work in the restaurant industry. Here's the skinny. While its not cool to not tip when you receive good service, tipping is entirely optional. It is not manadatory - especially for bad service. What is worse than bad service , is a server confronting you about a tip, bad or otherwise. Its the height of unprofessionalism. The thing to do is go to the manager and inform them, immediately. Where I work, you'd lose your job for that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast