• aka the scorpion eater!

Questions about Downtown Disney restaurants

I have a question regarding the options for dining at Downtown Disney for lunch and about price ranges.

Now I have googled all information regarding menus and everything else and I expect for the meal to run about 15+ per person for lunch. Being that we are doing this on my Birthday I want to do something special [but please do not suggest Rainforest Cafe... look in the rainforest cafe thread and you will see why]

My question is what restaurants would you suggest that would be good for lunch, not too bad on price, a nice meal, might have some adult drink options available [as in 21+ options], like maybe a place I could order one or two special beverages to go with the awesome meal as I will be celebrating the 22 that day, and what restaurants do you personally like to eat at [I know there are some regulars who have been to a few of the restaurants there].

Also I know to expect to pay through the nose for the "adult beverages" but about how expensive are the options for them at Downtown Disney with the meal [obviously most restaurants dont ever list price and you see the bill after having one and its omg]?

I am choosing the option of eating at Downtown Disney for lunch because check in time is about 3pm and we are staying at the Best Western Stovalls so its a short walk up Disneyland Drive to get our keys and check in then head back to the parks to enjoy the rest of the night.

any suggestions would be helpful... personally I like the idea of the Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen for lunch based on their lunch menu, but the House of Blues Restaurant also looks pretty good too, as well as Tortilla Joes.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: Questions about Downtown Disney restaurants

I've eaten at all of the three you mentioned and the food was best at Jazz Kitchen by far. It's a fun place to eat, the food is much better than the other two listed and the drinks were good too.

I can't remember the prices of the cocktails though, sorry.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Very few restuants are worth going to to in DTD, period.
    Tortilla Joe's food and service is HORRENDOUS (and they screwed over MiceChat as well) and House of Blues food is nothing stellar.

I would do Ralph Brennen's. They have really good food but I haven't had any of their drinks. Or the Uva bar, since you want to drink (I think you can get real meals out there). Not sure of the prices though.

My fave DTD restaurant in ESPN Zone. They have wonderful burgers.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Very few restuants are worth going to to in DTD, period.
    Tortilla Joe's food and service is HORRENDOUS (and they screwed over MiceChat as well) and House of Blues food is nothing stellar.

I would do Ralph Brennen's. They have really good food but I haven't had any of their drinks. Or the Uva bar, since you want to drink (I think you can get real meals out there). Not sure of the prices though.

My fave DTD restaurant in ESPN Zone. They have wonderful burgers.
    Burgers might be good for everyone in our group and ESPN zone did sound kinda fun... how are they pricewise... I read somewhere in the 12 to 15 range.

And the drinking isnt really a priority either, but being that its my Birthday I might want one special beverage to go with the meal. Nothing too wild either, but something fruity, not too strong, or just all around fun that screams "Celebrate" and of course something I can walk off before getting back into the park.

I know American style food is something everyone can agree on [unlike myself who tries so many new things my sister and friends are not too adventurous in eating and will usually settle with a burger or something americanized] so ESPN zone is looking to be our best bet but I really like the idea of Ralph Brennans and have heard they were pretty good [it was featured on the Travel Channel's Samantha Brown special where she goes to DCA, GCH, and DTD]

But all in all I have not had much luck with stuff in DTD either [especially rainforest] but the fact remains that its on the way to the hotel, it has full service restaurants, and it trumps over anything outside the parks... And Uva Bar's menu did look like something nice for lunch sized portions [plus I love mediterranean appetizers], pretty nice selection of sandwiches and appetizers, and the outdoor seating did look kinda great for people watching and everything... now to put this in an even broader topic since Micechat did not have the best experiences with DTD...

Does anyone have any recommendations on stuff at the Disney hotels because I do read about some good reviews on there... I read about Yamabuki and people seem to have mixed reviews and the price can go up there for sushi [more than I am willing to pay for sushi IMO... plus sushi is really good when you go to those gems of places which are hole in the walls locally owned and traditional], but maybe I can splurge a little being that its my Birthday and lunch was going to be our big meal anyways

Thank you so far for the suggestions
    Last edited by tamasurvivor; 01-13-2009 at 12:36 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I remember Tortilla Jo's was closed for a few days about 3 or 4 years ago. It seems that they had problems with some little Mickeys running around - and I'm not talking about THAT Mickey.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I remember Tortilla Jo's was closed for a few days about 3 or 4 years ago. It seems that they had problems with some little Mickeys running around - and I'm not talking about THAT Mickey.
    Oh... thats not so good

Are you sure it was mice, because you never know, it could be Mickey Mouses long forgotten stepbrother from 3 other Disney relatives... Ricky Rat! [I know that joke is so wrong but I just had to... LOL!!!]

Still... knowing that doesnt really make the food all too appetizing for the price anymore [and if thats the case I might not even think of Napoli or Uva Bar either because the same owners own all 3 from checking the restaurants websites]... its a shame too because arent full service restaurants supposed to be a lot cleaner than the McDumsters on every corner?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by tamasurvivor View Post
    Oh... thats not so good

Are you sure it was mice, because you never know, it could be Mickey Mouses long forgotten stepbrother from 3 other Disney relatives... Ricky Rat! [I know that joke is so wrong but I just had to... LOL!!!]

Still... knowing that doesnt really make the food all too appetizing for the price anymore [and if thats the case I might not even think of Napoli or Uva Bar either because the same owners own all 3 from checking the restaurants websites]... its a shame too because arent full service restaurants supposed to be a lot cleaner than the McDumsters on every corner?
    As far as DTD goes, I'd stick with the Jazz Kitchen.

The counties surrounding Orange -- LA, San Diego, Riverside, and San Bernardino (I think) all require their restaurants to post a letter grade A,B,C,D, or F in a prominent spot. Orange County was going to do this too, but just a month or so ago when this got put to a vote, the Board of Supervisors voted it down. I forget the reason, but my suspicion is that a company that owns a theme park on Harbor Blvd at the Santa Ana Fwy had something to do with it.

The only requirement in Orange County is a sign simply stating that the restaurant was inspected and you see some of these signs around the resort.

• Sock Puppet

Mickey is not the only mouse that you'll find at Disneyland...

Click here:

HCA - Food Protection Program - Food Facility Inspection Details

You can also link to the DTD eateries as well (if you DARE!!!).

Muhuhahaha!

Out of the places listed, we prefer the House of Blues.

ESPN Zone is reasonable price wise, but you might be in for a wait...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    As far as DTD goes, I'd stick with the Jazz Kitchen.

The counties surrounding Orange -- LA, San Diego, Riverside, and San Bernardino (I think) all require their restaurants to post a letter grade A,B,C,D, or F in a prominent spot. Orange County was going to do this too, but just a month or so ago when this got put to a vote, the Board of Supervisors voted it down. I forget the reason, but my suspicion is that a company that owns a theme park on Harbor Blvd at the Santa Ana Fwy had something to do with it.

The only requirement in Orange County is a sign simply stating that the restaurant was inspected and you see some of these signs around the resort.
    I am familiar with the letter grades because I grew up in LA county and I think when I was about 7 years old the letter grades first came out... They are really helpful and I never thought about it until now but everywhere we went in LA and San Bernardino county the letter grades were there... but OC never seemed to have them... still... it was good to hear that talks about getting them in Orange county was in the works.

Honestly I wish we had them here in Maricopa County or anywhere in Arizona because yeah, restaurants out here get inspected and any food service worker is required to take a county wide test for a food handlers card which must be renewed and taken every so many months but I was always shocked when CBS 5 runs their Dirty Dining... amazingly the most health code violations can be found in Scottsdale [the classy area of our valley] and the ghetto of Phoenix [which is no surprise either]... Now I understand Scottsdale is the more exclusive area of the valley and the restaurants in that city are very upscale and classy with some of the best chefs which leads to having to follow harder guidelines due to the ingredients used as compared to most other places but its amazing to see certain restuarants making the dirty dining list again and again... Letter grades are a good thing because maybe some people will actually think twice before going for Sushi at Kona Grill or a Steak at Z-Tejas... but I could name 2 restaurants around Scottsdale Fashion Square that are classy but have had more than 8 or 9 violations ad made the dirty dining list at one time or more [to be honest I was shocked]

enough derailing though...

Thank you for the link, good info but I might not want to delve any further... but yeah mice in the kitchens are not a good thing... and some things I found out about the restaurants I did not need to find out!

After speaking to my sister they are deciding more on ESPN Zone but I am still leaning towards Jazz Kitchen... Something about Jazz Kitchen just seems better IMO! Plus its the next closest thing to dining in New Orleans Square at Disneyland except its outside the park... lol! Plus its not too far from the monorail stop, and perfect distance to where we need to walk to check into the hotel up the street since we will be on the backside of DCA on Katella [I love that location for the lower traffic compared to Harbor, more available parking at the hotel, and the walk is fun]
    Last edited by tamasurvivor; 01-13-2009 at 09:43 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    Mickey is not the only mouse that you'll find at Disneyland...

Click here:

HCA - Food Protection Program - Food Facility Inspection Details

You can also link to the DTD eateries as well (if you DARE!!!).

Muhuhahaha!

I've not died yet after eating DL food for over 40 years.