Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

15 Awards Given Disneyland Resort Restaurants At SoCal Food and Wine Critics Banquet

Disneyland Resort Newsroom: Disneyland Resort Restaurants Win 15 Awards At Southern California Restaurant Writers Banquet

On March 12th, DLR had plenty of reasons to celebrate. Just prior to the launch of Disney's California Food & Wine Festival, the resorts world class restaurants and chefs were recognized at the Southern California Restaurant Writers Awards Banquet at the Richard Nixon Library. 15 awards were bestowed, under 6 differnt categories as follows -

Special Award Category
    • Sous Chef of the Year: Alex Flores/Francisco Origel (Napa Rose, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel)

Golden Bacchus Wine Award
    • Napa Rose (Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel)
    • Steakhouse 55 (Disneyland Hotel)

Golden Sceptre (Five Star):
    • Napa Rose (Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel)
    • Steakhouse 55 (Disneyland Hotel)

Gold (Four Star)
    • Ariel’s Grotto (Paradise Pier, Disney’s California Adventure park)
    • Blue Bayou (New Orleans Square, Disneyland)
    • Café Orleans (New Orleans Square, Disneyland)
    • Hook’s Pointe & Wine Cellar (Disneyland Hotel)
    • Storyteller’s Café (Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel)
    • Yamabuki (Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel)

Sterling (Three Star)
    • Goofy’s Kitchen (Disneyland Hotel)
    • Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Downtown Disney)
    • Tortilla Jo’s (Downtown Disney)

Silver (Two Star)
    • PCH Grill (Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel)

It is great pride that I am able to boast I have personally enjoyed the delictible delights at the majority of the dining establishments that made the list. Bravisimo Disneyland Resort! Oh ..and Bon Appetite, ya all!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: 15 Awards Given Disneyland Resort Restaurants At SoCal Food and Wine Critics Banq

Most of the people and establishments are deserving of these awards.

The Napa Rose is one of the nicer fine dining establishments in all of SoCal in my opinion.

I think the Bayou and Cafe are a little overrated at four stars.

And I'm shocked and hurt that the Village Haus, Tomorrowland Terrace and Hungry Bear were left off that list.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: 15 Awards Given Disneyland Resort Restaurants At SoCal Food and Wine Critics Banq

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Most of the people and establishments are deserving of these awards.

The Napa Rose is one of the nicer fine dining establishments in all of SoCal in my opinion.

I think the Bayou and Cafe are a little overrated at four stars.

And I'm shocked and hurt that the Village Haus, Tomorrowland Terrace and Hungry Bear were left off that list.

-- Barry
    I'm thrilled, Barry! ..that both the Napa Rose and the Storytellers Cafe at the Grand Californian scored top awards. Haven't had the pleasure of experiencing the Rose as of yet. Award winning chef Alex Flores/Francisco Origel (what a long name lol!) is a new reason for me to give it a try. Now, I'm not complaining about the four stars that Storytellers received ..but i would rate it with five stars any day of the week. The food and sevice are impecable. This fun experience really rouds out a vacation trip.

I'd agree with you that Cafe Orleans is overrated at four stars. It's great ..but two or three stars would be my rating. Due to the super ambiance and service, the Blue Bayou deserves four stars ..I'd say five if they would expand the menu choices and lower the prices.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I am glad Steakhouse55 made the list, it is under appreciated and often gets overshadowed by the press Napa Rose gets, yet I think it has superior service and atmosphere in comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    I am glad Steakhouse55 made the list, it is under appreciated and often gets overshadowed by the press Napa Rose gets, yet I think it has superior service and atmosphere in comparison.
    Steakhouse55 and Napa Rose are both unfamiliar territory to me, mousechild. I've been wanting to dine there for ages anyway. Wonder if the prices are more reasonable than Rose. Upon your recommendation here, I'll try out Steakhouse first. I've been wanting to dine there for ages anyway.

• Banned User

Is anyone surprised to see Ariel's Grotto on the list? I am.

I guess their new menu really made a dent.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Hope you don't mind. I moved this thread to the Restaurant section so it can be a resource to people trying to decide where to go for dinner.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    Is anyone surprised to see Ariel's Grotto on the list? I am.

I guess their new menu really made a dent.
    Hooray for Ariel's Grotto! I love that restaurant. Such a happy, festive atmosphere. The food is delightful, too. I offered Ariel some of my flounder last time. She laughed at my attempt to turn her "cannibal".

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Hope you don't mind. I moved this thread to the Restaurant section so it can be a resource to people trying to decide where to go for dinner.
    Don't mind at all, Rusty. I prefer the thread there. If I would have known better, I would have placed it in the So. Cal. Restaurant Reviews forum to begin with. Thanx again.

New Forum: So. Cal. Restaurant Reviews

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Steakhouse55 and Napa Rose are both unfamiliar territory to me, mousechild. I've been wanting to dine there for ages anyway. Wonder if the prices are more reasonable than Rose. Upon your recommendation here, I'll try out Steakhouse first. I've been wanting to dine there for ages anyway.

Breakfast at Steakhouse 55 is a less expensive way to enjoy the ambiance and fine service. Its Breakfast menu prices are basically the same as the other on property establishments. Dinner is about $40 per plate sans alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• You looking at me?

Wink Re: 15 Awards Given Disneyland Resort Restaurants At SoCal Food and Wine Critics Banq

I have been fortunate enough to have dined at all of the restaurants in the awards survey. Without question, Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55 (previously Granville's) are very deserving. At Napa Rose, the Vintner's Table (which changes regularly) is a must experience, while at Steakhouse 55 the Bananas Foster pancakes are amazing.

I was a little surprised that Ariels Grotto did so well, but I guess that didn't take The Cove into consideration -- which is a good thing. The atmosphere over looking the water at The Cove is great and the food is okay (above par for Disney in-park fare) but the service and wait staff are the worst on property.

While I agree that the Blue Bayou is a little over-rated (food wise, not for atmosphere), I was surprised that Ralph Brennan's didn't do better. Ralph's is one of our favorite places to eat and usually our first stop whenever we are in town. Of course I went to college in Baton Rouge (Geaux Tigers!) so I may be a little biased.

But I wasn't surprised in the least about The Hungry Bear. Sure it's fun and the view overlooking the River makes it a great location, but the food reminds me what I'd find at a hospital cafeteria or a mobile chuck wagon.

So that's my 2 cents.

Bon Appetit!
    "Nemo! Get to Nemo!"

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    Breakfast at Steakhouse 55 is a less expensive way to enjoy the ambiance and fine service. Its Breakfast menu prices are basically the same as the other on property establishments. Dinner is about $40 per plate sans alcohol.
    Certainly love steak and eggs. However, $40 per plate for dinner sounds reasonable enough. Appreciate the helpful the info.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    "Reasonable" is a matter of opinion, If you go to the Napa Rose or Granville's ( I mean steakhouse 55) and you're somewhat fixated on the prices you may be setting yourself up for disapointment. There both great places, I've eaten there more than a few times, mostly good occasionally not-so-good (usually because of service). If you do the whole deal, appetizer, wine, dinner, dessert, port you'll be looking at near $300 for two. Maybe 20% less at Steakouse 55. Napa Rose doesnt accept Annual passes for discount but SH55 does.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    "Reasonable" is a matter of opinion, If you go to the Napa Rose or Granville's ( I mean steakhouse 55) and you're somewhat fixated on the prices you may be setting yourself up for disapointment. There both great places, I've eaten there more than a few times, mostly good occasionally not-so-good (usually because of service). If you do the whole deal, appetizer, wine, dinner, dessert, port you'll be looking at near $300 for two. Maybe 20% less at Steakouse 55. Napa Rose doesnt accept Annual passes for discount but SH55 does.
    I'll weigh all of this great information into account when I decide to experience them. Do indeed plan to try both establishments. Think I'm catching a waft of their delicious aromas all the way here in NorCal.

We have eaten at the following:

Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Downtown Disney
    Usually one of the first Dinners we have at the resort this one should have scored better on the list.
    Steakhouse 55 Disneyland Hotel
    One of the best steaks I have had Highly recomended.
    Napa Rose Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel
    Chef's counter can't be beat. Amazing!
    Yamabuki Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel
    Very good
    Blue Bayou New Orleans Square, Disneyland
    Great atmosphere!Good food My DGD had a great time!
    Ariel’s Grotto Paradise Pier, Disney’s California Adventure park
    Storyteller’s Café Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel
    Tortilla Jo’s Downtown Disney
    Café Orleans New Orleans Square, Disneyland

• Rock Star Minion

Any reason why The Vineyard Room in DCA isn't on there at all? Closed? Am I making this restaurant up, or something?

I wanted to go to Napa Rose a few weeks ago, but I couldn't wait until dinner. went to Storytellers instead.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast