Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: The SoCal. Steak House Thread

There is a Morton's near the 7th Street/Metro Center subway stop. I see it on my walk to Staples Center for Kings games. Might have to check it out.

No, Wood Ranch is not a steakhouse. More of a family BBQ place. No way I can afford a real steakhouse trip with my family in tow.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Wood Ranch first of all isnt' even a steak house. And it's kind of a hit & miss. It's alright. Not what I consider a destination restaurant but good when you're in the mood. I've been to both the one at The Grove and also the one off the 101 on the way to Santa Barbara.. forget which city it was.
    That would be Camarillo.

And they're building a new one in Ventura, just outside the Pacific View Mall.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd chime in. My last real meal as a meat eater was at a local steakhouse down here in San Diego. Its called Donovan's. Everything was delicious. I highly recomend it if you are ever in the San Diego area.

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    Hey guys,

Just thought I'd chime in. My last real meal as a meat eater was at a local steakhouse down here in San Diego. Its called Donovan's. Everything was delicious. I highly recomend it if you are ever in the San Diego area.
    Thanks BB. I'm fairly new to the SD area and always looking for good restaurants. Is it actually in SD proper? Expensive?

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Ruth's is good but my preference would be Morton's. The Mortons salad is to die for with a homemade blue cheese dressing. The steaks are top notch and there are more side dishes than Ruth's.
    I agree with every word of this. If you liked Ruth's Chris, you will probably like Morton's even more, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a steak at Ruth's Chris.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

If you want to eat with the Anaheimers try Chris and Pitts on Euclid and Crescent. Nothing fancy, but cheap and good IMHO. BBQ sauce and blue cheese dressing are both homemade and ummmmm...Tasty!

• radiantly eccentric

has anyone tried the NorthWoods Inn in anaheim off the 5 fwy? I have only been to the San Gabriel location
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

My top 3 in no particular order:

Mastros - Beverly Hills

Musso & Frank - Hollywood

Pacific Dining Car - Los Angeles
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    My top 3 in no particular order:

Mastros - Beverly Hills

Musso & Frank - Hollywood

Pacific Dining Car - Los Angeles

Noted.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Disney Dream 10/23!!

Quote Originally Posted by MouselyGrateful View Post
    has anyone tried the NorthWoods Inn in anaheim off the 5 fwy? I have only been to the San Gabriel location

I've been to the one in La Mirada off the 5, is that the one you're talking about? It was okay, nothing super amazing. But their cheese bread is AWESOME.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

If anyone is ever up in the Nipomo area, you must go to Jocko's Steakhouse. Jocko's Steakhouse has to be my all time favorite steakhouse up in Northern California. They serve everything from steak to chicken to ribs to porkchops. When you go to Jocko's...prepare for food overload, you get a really big portion - especially the pork chops...they are HUGE. The Large Steak Sandwich is the best. It is grilled over oak wood (go after 4 for the oak pit), served with a potato, salad, crackers, and out of this world beans. Oh, and you get grilled bread too. Reservations are not necessary, but you would have to be insane not to get them. Even with reservations, prepare to wait up to an hour during the weekends to get seated.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Captain Rex for President

Quote Originally Posted by Arilvdc View Post
    I've been to the one in La Mirada off the 5, is that the one you're talking about? It was okay, nothing super amazing. But their cheese bread is AWESOME.
    Actually, if you want a good steak, Clearman's own an actual steakhouse in the Pico Rivera/Whittier area named Steak and Stein. It's more upscale than North Woods Inn and, perhaps because of that, has better food. The restaurant itself is dimly lit, perfect for a night out, and has a lovely waiting area. As for the food, the steak is absolutely perfect. Great texture and always cooked how you want it. The steak is typically served with a baked potato and their signature cheese sauce. Of course, like North Woods Inn they have a never ending basket of cheese bread. If you are in the area, you should defintely give it a try.
    I meant to do that... a little shortcut

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Hey wow, i think i actually ate there once! I was invited by some girl who was really crushing on me at the time. It was awkward because her parents were there too. But I remember liking the food.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Laughing Place Finder

I'm not sure if Prime Rib counts in discussion of steakhouses but I am in complete agreement with the earlier poster regarding the utter excellence of Lawry's Prime Rib in Beverly Hills.

Dining in such a large and luxurious dining room with such great food and incredible service is worth every penny. I think we usually end up paying about $40-$45 per plate.

The fresh Idaho baked potatoes are HUGE and amazingly delicious. Their fresh cream spinach and corn are amazing too. The prime rib carts are something you won't see many other places either. They wheel a stainless steel cart up to your table and carve off the cut exactly as you ordered it.

I've rarely had a salad as good as the ones they prepare right at your table. They put your glass salad bowl on top of a bowl of ice and spin the salad as they slowly pour in the Lawry's brand salad dressing. I believe it's pretty simlar to thousand island dressing. It's delicious and a real fun experience!

I also like the little touches like the way the servers take care of each guest and make everyone feel special. Even down to sweeping crumbs off the table between courses. It's a wonderful feeling.

And of course being able to casually mention that you drove over to Beverly Hills for a luxurious dinner is kind of nice too.

I know it isn't unique to LA either but there are only a few other ones out there.

Another place I love to get a good steak is at Benihana's. They sear-fry their New York strip steaks in sesame oil and it is unbelievably delicious! While you certainly can enjoy a Benihana's dinner in many other cities the one in Beverly Hills is quite special.

Enjoy. Good eating!
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

I'm a Ruth's Chris gal myself. But... will definetly try Morton's after reading the other comments.

For a decent steak dinner (can't believe no one else has mentioned it), I say go "Outback tonight" [chuckle]. I've never had a send-back type meal there and I get out for about $25 for an entree plus martini.

-- Cannot stand the Chizzler.
    -- Couldn't pay me to eat steak at Benihana's.
    -- Was unimpressed with the Northwoods Inn.
    -- Didn't care at all for the Wood Ranch BBQ place, although the garlic-ish rolls were light and fluffy.
    -- Steer Inn = scary (and over priced considering they market themselves as family / affordable).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast