Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: The SoCal. Steak House Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    Your right about BLACK ANGUS they are BAD!

So were south Orange County,HB area- there a good place?
    Your tread goes back to SEP. so what latest good place !
    I love a good steak!

For starters, the big chains of Morton's and Ruth's Chris are good. And based on the comments in this thread, MASTRO'S (or is it MAESTRO'S?) is highly rated but I haven't had it personally.

And for the money, Outback is solid. I know.. hard to believe right? Even the Consumer Reports magazine rates Outback very high, as does Zagat.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    For starters, the big chains of Morton's and Ruth's Chris are good. And based on the comments in this thread, MASTRO'S (or is it MAESTRO'S?) is highly rated but I haven't had it personally.

And for the money, Outback is solid. I know.. hard to believe right? Even the Consumer Reports magazine rates Outback very high, as does Zagat.
    Thanks-were is MASTRO'S ?
    just for the comment Iam not a fan to outback.....
    I know for the money and cow there got be better place's!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Minion

Now this is the kind of thread Im talking about!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Northwoods Inn, that steak is toooooooooo die for!!!! RARE please!!!!!Oh! and their blue cheese salad!!!!!! Yum!!! (Okay i am hungry now, esp after seeing all these photos of meat!!!!!!) For a cheap steak I like Chris n' pitts BBQ too (and their homemade blue cheese dressing and french dressing is delicioussssssssss too!!!!!!)

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
    Now this is the kind of thread Im talking about!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Northwoods Inn, that steak is toooooooooo die for!!!! RARE please!!!!!Oh! and their blue cheese salad!!!!!! Yum!!! (Okay i am hungry now, esp after seeing all these photos of meat!!!!!!) For a cheap steak I like Chris n' pitts BBQ too (and their homemade blue cheese dressing and french dressing is delicioussssssssss too!!!!!!)
    MY GIRL!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Queen of Sarcasm

Chris n Pitts is one of my favorite restaurants!

I have eaten at Steak n Stein and the food was great. As odd as it sounds, the thing that sticks out most in my mind were the baked potatoes. Maybe it is time to go back. The only time I went there was for Winter Formal when I was a junior in high school.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    Chris n Pitts is one of my favorite restaurants!

I have eaten at Steak n Stein and the food was great. As odd as it sounds, the thing that sticks out most in my mind were the baked potatoes. Maybe it is time to go back. The only time I went there was for Winter Formal when I was a junior in high school.
    Your right great place ....
    WOW were do they get thos baked potatoes?
    That a meal of it's self.....It scare me to think about that ,they so big!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

I don't visit this part of the boards much, but when I saw So Cal Steakhouses, I knew I had to read....

My favorite hasn't been listed so here it is...

Stubrik's Steakhouse and Bar in downtown Fullerton. It's about 10-15 minutes north of Disneyland. GREAT Steaks!

Stubriks Steakhouse & Bar

• Still wants to be a cat!

Looks like a place to try out!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by VL1000 View Post
    I don't visit this part of the boards much, but when I saw So Cal Steakhouses, I knew I had to read....

My favorite hasn't been listed so here it is...

Stubrik's Steakhouse and Bar in downtown Fullerton. It's about 10-15 minutes north of Disneyland. GREAT Steaks!

Stubriks Steakhouse & Bar

I went there once and the steak was alright... not particularly memorable, but I recall that I didn't order the kind of steak I normally get due to budget, so I'm open to giving it another try!

They close REALLY late too so if people want a late night steak, give it a try.

• Circle of Ancients

IMO, there is a SEVERE lack of non-chain steak houses in SoCal, well at least where we live.

For the most part I stick to "Gregg's Steak House".

The only steakhouse I can think of that is near us is Wood Ranch, which is TERRIBLE IMO. As for Outback, I've eaten there twice, and was dissapointed both times.

Heck, even the pre-cooked Tri-Tip you get at Costco is better than Wood Ranch.

As for as Black Angus is concerned, 15 years ago they were GREAT. But now, not so much.

As far as a nice non-corporate place, if your ever in Canyon Country try the "Back-Woods Inn", great place and from I remember, not too expensive.

http://backwoodsinn.ipower.com/page19.html

The other great place, while not really a "Steakhouse" is the bear-pit in Mission Oaks.

Bear Pit BBQ Restaurant — (818) 365-2509 – 10825 Sepulveda Boulevard Mission Hills, CA 91345

How about Tony Roma's next to DLR, I tried it on my last trip and got the best steak I've had in years.
    Matthew

• MiceChat Moderator

Tonight was steak night with the buddies and we chose DAMON'S in Glendale.

They most certainly have a "tiki" vibe that I'm sure many of you would enjoy

Yup, say Chi Chi all you want here. They're used to it.

They've been around since 1937

They have several lanterns with different looks

There's a salt water aquarium in the main dining area

Bloat

The menu is pretty straight forward. You order an entree and choose some sides. Here's the Famous House Salad.

Okay, i have no idea what this is. I believe it's one of the specials of the day, which is a petite filet, some scallops over rice, and twice baked potato

The overall consensus from those who ordered it was that the scallops weren't that good.

Strip and fries

This is my entree... the Blackened Ribeye cooked medium rare. It's served with fried onion strings on top, a sauce, and potato. I went with steak fries, but the twice baked potato is pretty rockin' too. My steak was cooked just right. Very good. $25

This is the tenderloin, which is a larger filet. Those who ordered this enjoyed it quite a bit.

Okay this is a terrible photo but this is the Killer Chocolate Cake ($9). It's really dark so it's hard to focus and take good pictures... but it's huge. You can't tell in this photo though. 5 of us shared it and it was plenty.

OVERALL: service was a bit slow, but they can't help it, the wait staff are very old and mostly overweight.... WHICH IS A GOOD SIGN. That means they eat the food and love it. My food was cooked perfectly and I went home full. There's a full bar with beers on tap so what's not to love?

I give this place between 3 1/2 to 4 stars.

Tonight was steak night with the buddies and we chose DAMON'S in Glendale.

OVERALL: service was a bit slow, but they can't help it, the wait staff are very old and mostly overweight.... WHICH IS A GOOD SIGN. That means they eat the food and love it.
    My food was cooked perfectly and I went home full. There's a full bar with beers on tap so what's not to love?

I give this place between 3 1/2 to 4 stars.
    hahahaha too funny! thank you for making allowances for the "old and overweight" crowd. lol
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Tonight was steak night with the buddies and we chose DAMON'S in Glendale...
    We went there last year with Dusty, Fishbulb, Doom Bgi, and CaptPhoebus after Tom Chaney's funeral. I remember the steak as being very good, but the rest is a blur. That was the day I learned the power of Bombay Sapphire martinis.

A great steakhouse in Los Angeles is Nick and Stef's in downtown LA.The ambiance is amazing with awesome city views and the service was very good. They toss the ceasar salad tableside and it is the best ceasar I've ever had. The sides were generous and the dry-aged steaks were amazing. PLUS, they don't charge a corkage fee, which is a definite bonus if your a wino!! Highly recommend!

ETA:
    (1) Can confim Jocko's in Nipomo has amazing steaks, but zero ambiance and WAAAAY too loud. We usually order over the phone and drive the 30 miles from our Morro Bay trailer to Nipomo. Then we reheat it at the trailer. It's that good.

(2) We like the sides at Ruth's Chris better than Flemings and about the same as Morton's.
    (3) Among over-priced steakhouses, Mortons takes the win for high prices. I don't mind paying for a great meal, but you lose me when you charge me $7 for an effing soda water while waiting for my table. Never again will my shadow fall across their door. Bastards.

(4) For the record: "Circa's Bar and Grill" is an AMAZING restaurant in Fresno. He gets his USDA-graded "Prime" beef steaks at Costco and grills them over a very hot charcoal fire of red oak and hickory. Served with seasoned red potatoes, creamed spinach and sauteed mushrooms, then topped off with a hearty Zinfandel, you will be more than contented at the end of your meal.
    Last edited by Circarama; 01-23-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Still wants to be a cat!

Another vote for Nick & Stef's....forgot about that place, till you mentioned it. Fabulous service, food and ambiance!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast