Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The SoCal. Steak House Thread

Are you a frequent visitor of Steak Houses? If so then... I started this thread for you. Instead of making a thread on one lone steak house that some may venture to or most won't, I thought if we did one on ALL of them, anyone who is interested can check it out. If you go to one and would like to recommend or talk about it, just throw it in there.

Maybe we can learn a thing or two about the steak houses in our area, which to skip, which to definitely try.

Tonite a bunch of buddies and I went to RUTH'S CHRIS STEAK HOUSE (pasadena location). It was my first time ever and we all decided that we want to do a steak house a month.

I thought it was pretty excellent. For $50 I got the following from their classic designed menu where you choose your options:

-Seafood Gumbo (or salad)
    -Ribeye Steak
    -Side Dish (i went with mashed potatoes)
    -Dessert

Had I gone with the normal entree of Rib Eye Steak, it would have been $33 and it would have been the same cut.

The ribeye I ordered was medium rare and although mine came out closer to medium, it was still incredible. My friend also got medium rare and his was delivered.... medium rare. Lucky *******. If the taste and quality was considerably ruined, I would have taken it back but it was my first steak in over a month so I was more than satisfied.

The steak arrived SIZZLING on its plate and the plate was SCORCHING hot. You know how some restaurants tell you to watch out because the plate is hot? Those plates aren't hot. THIS plate was hot. Burn yourself in two seconds hot.

Tried some wines that weren't bad:

there was also a tiny dessert but I forgot to take a picture of it.

So after all that I was more than stuffed. The service was great, the food was delicious, but the knife was less than desirable. I definitely recommend Ruth's Chris.

Okay, if you guys been to a steakhouse and want to share your thoughts, the podium is yours. But please, let's keep it to 2009 as restaurants can and do change considerably sometimes.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• "I don't like the color"

Re: The SoCal. Steak House Thread

Ruth's is good but my preference would be Morton's. The Mortons salad is to die for with a homemade blue cheese dressing. The steaks are top notch and there are more side dishes than Ruth's. Also, the souffle's are pretty good although I usually get the creme brulee for dessert. Man, my mouth is watering now......
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Rock Star Minion

Ruth's is very good, but it's not a SoCal-only restaurant. You can eat at one in 34 states and two canadian provinces.
    Lawry's Prime Rib is a local favorite of mine.

For my local favorite, I go to Wood Ranch BBQ. There's one in The Grove, and close to DL there is one in Anaheim Hills. Not fancy, like Ruth's or Lawry's. Good meat, though. Its Tri-Tip, a SoCal-near-exclusive, is almost as good as my own.

Place to avoid: Bear Pit BBQ in Mission Hills. Some like it (we've discussed it here before), but I don't.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• S.M.R.T

OMGILOVESTEAKSOMUCH. My fave restaurant is Mastro's in Costa Mesa. Steaks are served on 400-degree metal plates, are juicy, flavorful and melt-in-your-mouth gooood. The sides are excellent (I rec the mac and cheese and lobster mashed potatoes if you're not low-carbing) and the butter cake for dessert is TDF.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Ruth's is very good, but it's not a SoCal-only restaurant. You can eat at one in 34 states and two canadian provinces.
    Lawry's Prime Rib is a local favorite of mine.

Hehe, no, it's not unique to socal... but I was more interested to see the steak houses options available to us anyway. That was my first stop this year. I'll check a lot more. Good to read the other options!

• Rock Star Minion

I've heard good things about Mastro's, too. And about its extremely high prices. We have one out here in T.O., but I have yet to go.

Dakota's also has a good selection. Fancier environment, too. Not sure where they're located outside of Simi and Westlake Village, though. Someone looking for steakhouses in DL area don't have to look further than Granville's or whatever it's called these days.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• "I don't like the color"

I've heard good things about Mastro's, too. And about its extremely high prices. We have one out here in T.O., but I have yet to go.

Dakota's also has a good selection. Fancier environment, too. Not sure where they're located outside of Simi and Westlake Village, though. Someone looking for steakhouses in DL area don't have to look further than Granville's or whatever it's called these days.
    Granville's or Steakhouse 55 as it's now called has very good steaks, the sides are great, as are the desserts. Prices are in range with Ruth's and Morton's. Plus they have Silverado wine there.. (as does Morton's).
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Granville's or Steakhouse 55 as it's now called has very good steaks, the sides are great, as are the desserts. Prices are in range with Ruth's and Morton's. Plus they have Silverado wine there.. (as does Morton's).

And you can use an AP discount!

Alright guys.. go get some steaks! I want to see new steak trip reports stat!

• Winter in Oceanside...

For my local favorite, I go to Wood Ranch BBQ.
    They just opened one of those in Corona, just before we move away. We tried it out and wasn't impressed. Maybe because it had just opened, and it wasn't "ready".

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    They just opened one of those in Corona, just before we move away. We tried it out and wasn't impressed. Maybe because it had just opened, and it wasn't "ready".

Wood Ranch first of all isnt' even a steak house. And it's kind of a hit & miss. It's alright. Not what I consider a destination restaurant but good when you're in the mood. I've been to both the one at The Grove and also the one off the 101 on the way to Santa Barbara.. forget which city it was.

• Sock Puppet

Coheteboy: your food looks good. I should give Ruth's a try. After all I always try steak at Red Lobster.

Time for a change

• Still wants to be a cat!

Red Lobster and Ruth Chriss's are two different worlds. My preference is Morton's but it's not for the budget minded. Hubby and I spent over $275.00 for dinner last year. It included wine, sides, dessert and appetizer.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Still wants to be a cat!

Forgot to mention....Steakhouse 55 has the same prices as Morton's, but is not even close in quality and service.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Red Lobster and Ruth Chriss's are two different worlds. My preference is Morton's but it's not for the budget minded. Hubby and I spent over $275.00 for dinner last year. It included wine, sides, dessert and appetizer.
    OMG! the food should definitely taste good with that price.

• MiceChat Moderator

I haven't been to Morton's for a real sit down meal in quite some time. I had a friend who was a bartender and he always hooked me up for those mini steak sandwiches, as much as I wanted. He doesn't work there anymore so maybe it's time I make a return trip this year.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast