Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Where's a guy to get a drink in this town?

Are there any 'nice' cocktail bars in the Anaheim Resort Area. I don't mean pretentious places like "Heat Ultra Lounge" where the bouncer would probably refuse me entry because I'm "not on the list". (Correct me if my assumptions are wrong here, that's the impression I get from their website.)

I'm not into sports bars, I like a cocktail lounge style bar, who holds a good selection of top shelf liquor, and whose bar tenders know how to make a decent cocktail.

To give you an idea this is my "local" Welcome To Fumo Blu everyone knows my name there. And no it's not Norm! Although I do have my own stool... damn.

Any suggestions? Remember I won't have a car so nothing on Santa Monica Blvd
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Re: Where's a guy to get a drink in this town?

The bar in the Napa Rose restaurant, in the Grand Californian Hotel. It is a little expensive, but they have a "good selection of top shelf liquor" and a large wine selection. You can also order food, and sit inside or outside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLifer View Post
    The bar in the Napa Rose restaurant, in the Grand Californian Hotel. It is a little expensive, but they have a "good selection of top shelf liquor" and a large wine selection. You can also order food, and sit inside or outside.
    That's a definite "will try". Thank you.
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

You are welcome. There are several places in Downtown Disney. I have heard that Uva Bar is nice, but nothing special about the drinks. I have been to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. It has a good atmosphere and often has live entertainment.

There are a couple of places in the Disneyland Hotel. If you like to people watch, there is a bar in the lobby area between Goofy's Kitchen and Steakhouse 55.

The seventeen hour time difference does not make for timely responses, but, on a non-stop flight, it does get you into LAX three hours EARLIER than you leave Australia. Are you flying the Qantas A380?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Have you checked out Bar Louie at Anaheim Garden Walk, it is nice, and next door to the Heat Ultra Lounge, but a much different fell.

Roy's at AGW has a very upscale bar.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLifer View Post
    The seventeen hour time difference does not make for timely responses, but, on a non-stop flight, it does get you into LAX three hours EARLIER than you leave Australia. Are you flying the Qantas A380?
    You betcha! I wangled my way onto both over and back flights. Pity I will be wedged into economy, I'd like to check out their first class. Maybe I'll upgrade *cough*.

The down side is that it takes "2 days" to get back to Australia. Thanks for the other ideas, added to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Have you checked out Bar Louie at Anaheim Garden Walk, it is nice, and next door to the Heat Ultra Lounge, but a much different feel.
    Roy's at AGW has a very upscale bar.
    Hey David, thanks for the suggestions. Bar Louie looked too cookie cutter, judging from their website. But might be okay. It looks more like a diner than a bar (again from their website).

Roy's looks like a nice restaurant, will definitely check them out as I'm staying "next door" to AGW. Again looks like a cookie cutter franchise or chain, but maybe a well done one?

Maybe I've found a niche market that you guys don't have over there?

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    You betcha! I wangled my way onto both over and back flights. Pity I will be wedged into economy, I'd like to check out their first class. Maybe I'll upgrade *cough*.

The down side is that it takes "2 days" to get back to Australia. Thanks for the other ideas, added to my list.

Hey David, thanks for the suggestions. Bar Louie looked too cookie cutter, judging from their website. But might be okay. It looks more like a diner than a bar (again from their website).
    I actually find the bar itself to be one of the better ones around. Just in terms of drinks (and I'm a beer man so this is what gets me back there) there is a huge selection of draft beer - not yardhouse huge but I couldn't make my way from the left tap to the right in one night. The head bartender (wish I could remember his name) is a really cool guy who seems to know what he is doing and pours a generous drink every time we've been there. While there are sports always on, I wouldn't consider it really a sports bar - if it doesn't bother you too much it would be worth giving a shot.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Do you have time to go to Downtown Fullerton?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Do you have time to go to Downtown Fullerton?
    I think I visited De La Sol? on my way somewhere ages ago. Not sure if I'll be able to pull myself away from DL to go up to Fullarton.

Why do you ask?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I think I visited De La Sol? on my way somewhere ages ago. Not sure if I'll be able to pull myself away from DL to go up to Fullarton.

Why do you ask?

Basically because the surrounding Disneyland area doesn't have the best cocktail bars. Downtown Fullerton has plenty, and all in walking distance of each other so you'd only need to park once (or cab).

Ok but yah i just read that you won't have a car so haha i guess that's out of the question.

Good thing they opened up Gardenwalk nearby so that opens up a lot of possibilities. McCormick & Schmidt's (sp) has a great happy hour after 10pm.

And someone else mentioned Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel... nice bar there too.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Roy's is delicious. It's a Hawaiian fusion chain that's got some great food and good martinis.

Good luck finding a fun, unique watering hole. Have you searched yelp.com?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    Roy's is delicious. It's a Hawaiian fusion chain that's got some great food and good martinis.

Good luck finding a fun, unique watering hole. Have you searched yelp.com?
    OMG is Yelp still alive? *looks*

Thank you.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Yelp is alive and kicking! Have fun.

• A Weather Eye Open

Most of the places in Anaheim are chains; I don't think you'd find a unique or local type place in the immediate area. Only the restaurants/bars that are actually in the Disney parks and hotels are one of a kind.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Most of the places in Anaheim are chains; I don't think you'd find a unique or local type place in the immediate area. Only the restaurants/bars that are actually in the Disney parks and hotels are one of a kind.
    Not really, over at the Anaheim GardenWalk, the Heat Ultra Lounge is an independent.

Bar Louie is a small chain, and the Anaheim location is the only one on the West Coast.

Pop the Cork is an Independent Wine Bar.

Downtown Disney has its chain restaurants and bars, such as the ESPN Zone, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, House of Blues, La Brea Bakery and the Rainforest Cafe.

And the other restuarants are all run by the Patina Group...

Patina Restaurant Group | index

And as for the Disney owned Restaurants and Bars in the Hotels, they are run by a very large chain, Disney. The drink menus are standardized per company policy, heck, the same basic drink menu as on the Disney Cruise Ships and at many WDW locations.

If you want a true local place, Carolina's Italian Restaurant is at the corner of Chapman and West. A true independent place.

Carolinas Italian Restaurant Garden Grove
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast