• Laughing Place Finder

Birthday cake options inside the resort hotels

We're celebrating my daughter's 8th birthday while we're at the Grand Californian Hotel in early Sept and I was curious as to what kind of options I might have for ordering a birthday cake at the resort.

We'll be dining at Goofy's Kitchen the night of her actual birthday. In the past we've ordered the princess birthday cup they offer with the tiny cake on top but this has always been pretty disappointing. We'd much rather go with a fairly straight-forward Princess or Mickey/Minnie themed birthday cake for a small family.

There will only be three of us so we don't need a big or ridiculous cake. I just don't want to get down there and have something this important fall through the cracks.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Darth Mickey; 07-26-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Laughing Place Finder

Re: Birthday cake options inside the resort hotels

I did find some old information from 2005 regarding birthday parties at the Disneyland Resort.

If anybody can check this info and let me know if this info is out of date that would be a big help.

I'll call Disney dining in a few hours and see what they have to say. Hopefully they have some good cake options.

From: Birthdays at Disneyland (More Mouse) by Lisa Perkis

"If you are interested in having a whole birthday cake at any of the on-property hotel restaurants, Disney Dining takes orders at the same time you book your priority seating, up to 60 days in advance and no later than 72 hours in advance. A 10–inch round cake, which serves up to 14 guests, sets you back $23.50. A quarter sheet is $38 and serves up to 21 guests. The baking kitchen personalizes the cake with specific colors and put the birthday person's name on it. The kitchen even delivers the cake to the hotel restaurant of your choice in time for the birthday person to blow out the candles."
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Laughing Place Finder

Well I just answered my own question on this I think.

I called Disneyland dining and told them about our existing Goofy's kitchen reservation. They said that guests can pre-order a 6 inch round cake for $15 but I opted for the bigger 10 inch cake which still goes for $23.50 so the information above appears to be correct.

For this cake I had a choice of vanilla spongecake, chocolate spongecake or cheesecake. They also have a choice of many different flavored custard, mousse or fruit fillings. The icing/frosting choices were vanilla, chocolate and buttercream.

They also offered a few different edible chocolate Disney figures at $4.00 each. I opted instead for an edible image of Mickey's face for an additional $10.00. They also had no problem adding a personalized "Happy Birthday" greeting in frosting on the cake for our daughter.

The best part is that they will have the cake waiting for us at Goofy's Kitchen and we don't have to pay anything until we get to the restaurant. This will make our daughter's birthday extra special.

I hope this helps anybody else planning a special event.

• Sock Puppet

Yeah, we've had the Disney cakes at Goofy's Kitchen a few times now and once at the Blue Bayou. VERY special!

We've also had them leave a "surprise" B-Day cake in our DLH room once for my wifes B-Day. She couldn't believe that I pulled it off! (it was VERY easy to do thanks to the fine CM's)

Enjoy your special meal!

• Laughing Place Finder

I just wanted to add a post-trip follow-up on this subject.

Our cake came out wonderfully. It was even better than I had hoped. Great decorations, colorful, very moist, chocolatey and delicious!

Here are a few pictures of what the 10 inch round cake looks like:

I ordered the 10" round cake because I wanted a really impressive looking cake for my daughter's birthday. My wife, daughter and I were only able to eat about 1/3 of this wonderful cake so sadly we did end up having to toss the rest of it. Still it was a wonderful cake and I'm glad that I ordered it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

So cute!!! Glad that it worked ou for you!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• A Pirate's life for me!

Nice!

When we enjoy a special cake at the Resort, we usually can't finish them either and we don't want to take it back to the room so we end up sharing it with the guests that sit near us.

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    Nice!

When we enjoy a special cake at the Resort, we usually can't finish them either and we don't want to take it back to the room so we end up sharing it with the guests that sit near us.

We thought of sharing too but every party in our section was celebrating a birthday and they had their own cakes too. What a problem to have. LOL

Next time we'll probably go for the 6" round cake or else we'll just need to invite more people.

We've had the cake delivered to the room at the Grand Californian as a after dinner treat and its been delicious. They send up a cake knife, plates, forks, napkins, candles and matches. The buttercream is to die for. One of the highlights of the birthday party.