Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What are some good off-property places to eat within walking distance of the DLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Howdy Vasooki,

Please ignore the folks who never seem to have been taught any manners when they were younger. Their rudeness does not represent the bulk of the MiceChatters.

You are correct that there are several restaurants (fast food or otherwise) within walking distance of Disneyland.

McDonnalds is an option, as are Mimi's, and a couple other places on Harbor Blvd.

However, I'd recommend taking the slightly longer walk to the Anaheim Garden Walk (or take one of the resort area buses). The Garden Walk is filled with low cost restaurants.

Here's a list of the restaurants available: Restaurants at The Shops at Anaheim GardenWalk | Dining in Orange County

Hope this helps!

Dusty
    Another thumbs-up for Anaheim GardenWalk; I think the San Sai there is a good option for a quick meal. Of the mall's restaurants along Katella, I've been to (and enjoyed) both Bubba Gump's and PF Chang's.

I haven't been to that Quiznos, but would think that might be another good option for something fairly quick.

There's a Carls Jr. (not my thing, but others like it) not too far away on Harbor Blvd. If I recall correctly, the Del Taco on Katella might be more of a walk than it's worth. There are also several choices near Harbor & Chapman (Joe's Crab Shack, Red Robin, etc.); I walk it, but not sure I'd recommend it for everyone (it's a hefty distance if you're short on time/not comfortable walking around at night).

The IHOP across from the Park is higher priced than most of their other locations (at least it was that way a few years ago).

In my opinion, Mimi's - as as chain - isn't as good as it once was, but it's still one of my top picks in the area.

The choices in that area are definitely better than they were several years ago; I don't even bother eating in the Parks anymore.

• Nor Cal AP'er

Re: What are some good off-property places to eat within walking distance of the DLR?

There are some 'Subway's (one that is open 24 hours on Brookhurst Ave and Ball Rd perfect for after closure)with a drive through as well in the area. I always get a burrito at Tortilla Joe's,fills me up for the whole day!All you walk it off at the same time!

Thanks for this post I will use it when i go in October!
    Last edited by Experiment 626; 08-03-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• Vasooki-land Owner

Quote Originally Posted by surffnutt3000 View Post
    Another thumbs-up for Anaheim GardenWalk; I think the San Sai there is a good option for a quick meal. Of the mall's restaurants along Katella, I've been to (and enjoyed) both Bubba Gump's and PF Chang's.

I haven't been to that Quiznos, but would think that might be another good option for something fairly quick.

There's a Carls Jr. (not my thing, but others like it) not too far away on Harbor Blvd. If I recall correctly, the Del Taco on Katella might be more of a walk than it's worth. There are also several choices near Harbor & Chapman (Joe's Crab Shack, Red Robin, etc.); I walk it, but not sure I'd recommend it for everyone (it's a hefty distance if you're short on time/not comfortable walking around at night).

The IHOP across from the Park is higher priced than most of their other locations (at least it was that way a few years ago).

In my opinion, Mimi's - as as chain - isn't as good as it once was, but it's still one of my top picks in the area.

The choices in that area are definitely better than they were several years ago; I don't even bother eating in the Parks anymore.
    Thanks for the heads up about Del Taco. Because, knowing me, we would have walked to it, without knowing it was that far. :P

IHOP sounds good. And even if it is higher priced, I'm sure it's better than in-park.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

• A Weather Eye Open

There's a Coco's and Tiffy's right across the street, at Katella and Dinseyland Drive by the Anabella. Tiffy's has handmade Ice Cream for sale there!

I agree with the Gardenwalk idea, though. Most of the food places are on the north end by Disney Way, up on the top story. It's sort of like a food court up there, with windows and outdoor tables, along with a Johnny Rocket's diner place and the Fire + Ice grill that will be opening next month. Unlike the franchises (such as iHop, Denny's etc) in the area, and the restaurants in DTD, you won't be paying higher prices because of the proximity to Disneyland, yet it's stilll pretty darn close!

I also advise that you look for cheap ways to eat in the park. Don't eat the burgers, they're not really worth it! Leave if you want a good burger. But other than that, the cheaper food in the parks are still delish! And it's so convienient to eat at the park and just take a little time to enjoy yourself.
    I usually eat 1 meal in the park each day that I'm there, and if I feel like indulging meself, I'll get a snack later like a frozen lemonade, a pretzel, or a funnel cake. If I was staying all day, I could do 2 meals in the park (either breakfast and lunch, or lunch and dinner). I wouldn't recommend doing all three though! Eat a big breakfast first, or go out after you're done for the night for a big late dinner.

Often there is enough food for me to split with whoever I'm with, as well (or to split 2 meals between 3 people). I recommend:
    -chicken or fish'n'chips at Golden Horseshoe (lots of food for splitting, great fries)
    -soup in a bread bowl (gumbo, clam chowder, or broccoli cheese, all delish) at the galley stand at Fowler's Harbor (eat the bowl!), or in DCA wharf area
    -breakfast at Tomorrowland Terrace
    -pasta or pizza at Pizza Port
    -$6 corn dogs from the truck near the hub (they're the best corn dogs I've had, honestly. Also found at the Farmer's Market at DCA)

I eat all of the above for under 10, and if I'm splitting with someone, sometimes under $5 each! I always get the free ice water from restaurants instead of paying for soda, or I bring in my own drink and save it for my meal.

On the slightly more expensive end (say $15), the sandwhiches at Riverbelle Terrace are great, and come with some sides for variety. Try the pulled pork BBQ; it tastes just like my relatives make it in Alabama. Total heaven! I havn't tried the Mexican place in DCA yet, but their prices look pretty decent. Their tamale plate was 9.99, I think.

Also, a big ole smoothie from Jamba Juice in DTD is always filling and good for you, and very portable!

I just think that visitors shouldn't write off the park food right away. Sure, it is overpriced, but that doesn't mean it will be cheaper to eat outside the park the whole time. And it doesn't mean you can't kind of shop around, like poke your head in to check out the prices on each restaurant, that kind of thing. I'm a broke college student, very budget concious, and I find it cheaper to split meals inside the park than to leave to eat. It also saves valuable time inside the park, where I want to maximize the rides and shows I get to see! Definitely eat some meals outside the park a few times since you'll be there for 3 days, but keep an eye out inside too!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Can't get much closer than the IHOP on Harbor - it's literally right there if you walk out of the resort's east side (AKA away from the Downtown Disney). Cross Harbor, and you're there. I kinda like it, but it may not be your thing. If you're interested, though, this is the spot I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    IHOP!

When my family comes to visit, usually they get a cheaper hotel just over on Harbor Blvd, and I usually join them in their multi day trip and stay at the hotel too.
    It's always great to both get breakfast in the morning at IHOP, then make the short trek over to Disneyland, ready for the day. And it's equally as great, after a long tiring day at Disneyland, to go for some late night pancakes or waffles at IHOP before hitting the hotel!
    I was going to note that the IHOP just a block or so farther south on Harbor is a couple bucks cheaper than the one across from the main gate!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Quote Originally Posted by Vasooki View Post
    My two friends just convinced me to tag along with a 3 day trip to DLR, and I don't want to have to pay for food at DL prices 3 days in a row. I know there is a McDonalds close, but is there something else, such as a El Pollo Loco, or Del Taco?

^I say this because none of us can drive, and we are going alone. xD
    Thanks for the good question, I read stuff like this because people like you ask good questions and "cool" people respond with good info! Good Job!
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

I'm a little sad that the closest In and Out is about an hour's walk away from the Park. Everyone tells me it's a must try burger place. They aren't even on my way anywhere... maybe I need to take a deviated course on my way to Knott's .. or Walmart...

Thanks for your question Vasooki, and thanks to those who answered. I'm starting to think about these kinds of things.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I'm a little sad that the closest In and Out is about an hour's walk away from the Park. Everyone tells me it's a must try burger place. They aren't even on my way anywhere... maybe I need to take a deviated course on my way to Knott's .. or Walmart...

Thanks for your question Vasooki, and thanks to those who answered. I'm starting to think about these kinds of things.
    If you're flying in to LAX, and if you are planning to get a private town car (I think that was you, right?), you can take a small detour to the In-N-Out right next to the airport. North on Sepulveda, at Lincoln. Or, on the way back, before you leave.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If you're flying in to LAX, and if you are planning to get a private town car (I think that was you, right?), you can take a small detour to the In-N-Out right next to the airport. North on Sepulveda, at Lincoln. Or, on the way back, before you leave.
    Mnnneeeyah, nah.

Not the sort of thing I'd like to do with a town car. I have standards to maintain you know.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12