Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Banned User

Re: Farrell's opening soon

I am so envious of those who live down there. Looks like they tried to keep true to the Farrell's of my childhood. When I'm in the OC, I will definitely go there!

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    If you really can't wait, there's a Farrell's already open in Santa Clarita (near Magic Mountain) at the Mountasia Family Fun Center. It's actually been there for a number of years now.

Family Fun Center, Mountasia, Home!
    A year or two ago, my whole family went, with my grandparents, uncle, aunt, and cousin. I really liked it! I'm so glad to see one opening in OC!! I'm so sick of all this gross golden spoon frozen yogurt stuff that's everywhere. The only common ice cream place that seems to be left is Cold Stone, which is really overpriced, and not nearly as good as Farrell's.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    A year or two ago, my whole family went, with my grandparents, uncle, aunt, and cousin. I really liked it! I'm so glad to see one opening in OC!! I'm so sick of all this gross golden spoon frozen yogurt stuff that's everywhere. The only common ice cream place that seems to be left is Cold Stone, which is really overpriced, and not nearly as good as Farrell's.
    What about good old Baskin Robins?

And does anyone here remember Swenson's?
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 11-18-2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Spelling error

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

And does anyone here remember Swenson's?
    I remember Swenson's! We had them in Phoenix. They had great food and ice cream.

Has anyone been to this location since it opened? Also, how close it is to DL?

• Nerd

So now that its open. who has been there? There is one in San Diego that I drove to specifically to get the "Farrells" Experience. IT SUCKED!

• Neep meep beep

I was planning to go with a photography group ... but when they found out that the weekend wait times were 2-3 hours, they cancelled the group meeting... so I am still waiting!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    So now that its open. who has been there? There is one in San Diego that I drove to specifically to get the "Farrells" Experience. IT SUCKED!
    Do your research - you are blaming current ownership with a problem restaurant they had no control over.

The San Diego location (Mira Mesa) was a hanger-on orphan from the old franchise system that Marriott took over, owned by the Ortman family. And they soldiered on for 38 years by themselves, but closed up a few years back. (1968 + 38 = 2006?) The website reporting them as 'already closed' was tagged "Copyright 2007".

There are a lot of "Orphaned" chain restaurants out there, where the original franchise system operators went belly up (and the contract is now void) but the locations stay open and soldier on. Four 'N 20 Pies, Pioneer Chicken, and Chris & Pitts BBQ to name three just off the top of my head.

The remaining orphan restaurants form varying degrees of alliance among themselves to do some advertising and keep consistent menus, but since the anchoring corporation is gone they get varying amounts of cooperation.

And it gets real fun when a new owner wants to "restart" the franchise system, enforce the terms of the old franchise agreements, start collecting the licensing fees from existing units again, and open new locations in direct competition with the 'old' units, or try to force the old units to change their names and menus... I've heard of knock-down drag-out court battles.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Do your research - you are blaming current ownership with a problem restaurant they had no control over.

The San Diego location (Mira Mesa) was a hanger-on orphan from the old franchise system that Marriott took over, owned by the Ortman family. And they soldiered on for 38 years by themselves, but closed up a few years back. (1968 + 38 = 2006?) The website reporting them as 'already closed' was tagged "Copyright 2007".

There are a lot of "Orphaned" chain restaurants out there, where the original franchise system operators went belly up (and the contract is now void) but the locations stay open and soldier on. Four 'N 20 Pies, Pioneer Chicken, and Chris & Pitts BBQ to name three just off the top of my head.

The remaining orphan restaurants form varying degrees of alliance among themselves to do some advertising and keep consistent menus, but since the anchoring corporation is gone they get varying amounts of cooperation.

And it gets real fun when a new owner wants to "restart" the franchise system, enforce the terms of the old franchise agreements, start collecting the licensing fees from existing units again, and open new locations in direct competition with the 'old' units, or try to force the old units to change their names and menus... I've heard of knock-down drag-out court battles.

--<< Bruce >>--

really? do I have to work that hard to eat ice cream, I just want to go and have some fun. I get all that stuff you said, so what?...Is the NEW FARRELLS GOOD? cuz the orphaned one in San Diego blew. they should be closed.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    really? do I have to work that hard to eat ice cream, I just want to go and have some fun. I get all that stuff you said, so what?...Is the NEW FARRELLS GOOD? cuz the orphaned one in San Diego blew. they should be closed.
    Do I need to put subtitles on this? They ARE closed in Mira Mesa (San Diego). That franchisee has gone the way of the Dodo and the Passenger Pigeon.

They were doing a tepid effort to follow the program, it showed, the reviews showed it, they went away. Gone. Finito. They are singing in the Choir Eternal. That location is an Ex-Restaurant. Get it? Good!

The new one is supposed to be great so far, especially after they got Bob Farrell himself involved with the revival and training. But we can't get a first-hand report - the few people who post here haven't been able to get near the joint when they tried on a weekend. 2+ hour line out the door.

Now if you want to go give them a shot mid-week and write a review, go for it. We need a local family to do that.

I can't afford half a day to get down there in mid-week traffic. Been there, Done that, lots of times, staring at brake lights... the average is 2.5 to 3 hours. My "record" was 4 hours plus to get from Woodland Hills to Anaheim early afternoon on a Friday. There are days when they can't fit all the accidents into one 2-minute radio traffic report, they have to stagger them.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Senior Minion

I had never heard of this place, so I went in not knowing what to expect. The food isn't that good, but I'm told it is the ice cream that sells the place, and even that was mediocre (I shared a Pig Trough). Not to mention that it was VERY loud, one shouldn't expect to carry on a conversation at a place like this ... what with the whistle going ... drum being banged for the countless birthdays being celebrated ... Farrell's Zoo(which by the way is $50.00) being carried around on a stretcher ... you pretty much just eat your food and watch.

I can see how it would appeal to kids, and I guess that is who they are going for. But for me, going in there not knowing anything about the place, I didn't get the appeal ... nor why it was so popular to command a 2 hour (or more) line.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    I had never heard of this place, so I went in not knowing what to expect. The food isn't that good, but I'm told it is the ice cream that sells the place, and even that was mediocre (I shared a Pig Trough). Not to mention that it was VERY loud, one shouldn't expect to carry on a conversation at a place like this ... what with the whistle going ... drum being banged for the countless birthdays being celebrated ... Farrell's Zoo(which by the way is $50.00) being carried around on a stretcher ... you pretty much just eat your food and watch.

I can see how it would appeal to kids, and I guess that is who they are going for. But for me, going in there not knowing anything about the place, I didn't get the appeal ... nor why it was so popular to command a 2 hour (or more) line.
    Sounds like it was GREAT!! You've managed to describe every birthday I had from the time I was 8 until I turned 15. Yipee!

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Do I need to put subtitles on this? They ARE closed in Mira Mesa (San Diego). That franchisee has gone the way of the Dodo and the Passenger Pigeon.

They were doing a tepid effort to follow the program, it showed, the reviews showed it, they went away. Gone. Finito. They are singing in the Choir Eternal. That location is an Ex-Restaurant. Get it? Good!

The new one is supposed to be great so far, especially after they got Bob Farrell himself involved with the revival and training. But we can't get a first-hand report - the few people who post here haven't been able to get near the joint when they tried on a weekend. 2+ hour line out the door.

Now if you want to go give them a shot mid-week and write a review, go for it. We need a local family to do that.

I can't afford half a day to get down there in mid-week traffic. Been there, Done that, lots of times, staring at brake lights... the average is 2.5 to 3 hours. My "record" was 4 hours plus to get from Woodland Hills to Anaheim early afternoon on a Friday. There are days when they can't fit all the accidents into one 2-minute radio traffic report, they have to stagger them.

--<< Bruce >>--
    NO! subtitles are not needed...when I said "should" I meant to say it more like this..."SHOULD" be closed. as in, what took so long, bon voyage! Asta lavista baby!!! etc. (I'm sure you've got a million of em) Thanks for the clarification anyway. I'll get over there to check it out one of these days.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    Not to mention that it was VERY loud, one shouldn't expect to carry on a conversation at a place like this ... what with the whistle going ... drum being banged for the countless birthdays being celebrated ... Farrell's Zoo(which by the way is $50.00) being carried around on a stretcher ... you pretty much just eat your food and watch.

Welcome to the FARRELL'S experience!!!!!

• Applause Apple Sauce

Im still looking forward to trying one of those big sundaes with my friends. It looks like fun and the noise is part of the fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123