Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Blue Bayou VS. Ariel's Grotto

hi everyone
    I'm planning on making a dinner reservation for my parents for the 15th of Feb. i just wanted to know which place is better, cost doesnt matter, quality is what I'm aiming for I've already made a reservation for Blue Bayou but that can easily be cancelled...so which is better? Blue bayou or Ariel's Grotto? thanks so much<3

• I'm not really here

Re: Blue Bayou VS. Ariel's Grotto

I would say Blue Bayou. I love both restaurants and the food is great at both. But the atmosphere at BB is infinitely better. Though the decor at Ariel's is pretty good still. Keep the BB res and ask for water side seating if you haven't already.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I would say Blue Bayou. I love both restaurants and the food is great at both. But the atmosphere at BB is infinitely better. Though the decor at Ariel's is pretty good still. Keep the BB res and ask for water side seating if you haven't already.

thanks so much for ur opinion!
    thats what i was thinking, the atmosphere is probably way better...should i call back and ask about the water side dining?

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Request it now, and again when you check in at the restaurant. Sometimes they say you'll have to wait for 45 minutes. Thank them politely and say that you will wait for a water-side table. The wait is usually never that long, more like 10-15 minutes, sometimes less. It's worth it.

• I'm not really here

^^What SnorkletsMom said. Definitely call them back and request the water side seating and remember to request it again when you check in. I'd also check in 10 minutes before you reservation time.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Blue Bayou with the boats going by on the river edge - great experience! It is so peaceful with the soft river noises and the muted lighting. Sometimes difficult to read the menu in the flickering candlelight, but worth the effort!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

thanks so much!i'll call right now
    my dads trying to surprise my momma by taking her to dinner...my only concern is i think he'll forget to ask about the water side thing...men..sheeesh!

• Disneymom

I think it depends on what type of experience you want . we've done both and loved them both. BB is beautiful and peaceful. So sureal with the water and boats going by. The food is different too. Ariel's is the princess experience. We got to see all the princesses and loved every minute of it. Just have fun at whatever you choose.

• Sock Puppet

Blog Entries

They are two completely different experiences. Both have good food. But Ariels Grotto is a Character dining, and thats mainly what is great about it.
    Blue Bayou is an overall incredible, beautiful experience. It's my favorite. Like everyone else, def request for water side seating now and when you get there. The atmosphere is just sensational! The little touches make it special, like the dessert, creme brulee was they had as a treasure chest and a ship and stuff. And the food is great, but nothing beats just the atmosphere, it's something everyone should experience! Have a wonderful time, please post your thoughts on whichever one you end up going to! Butmy vote is a BIG HUGE yes for Blue Bayou haha

• Disgruntled Former CM

I agree; the Blue Bayou is the choice over the two given.

I like the Blue Bayou, both for food choices and ambiance; Ariel's Grotto used to be operated by Wolfgang Puck (and I believe that a great deal of money was spent on the murals, custom tile work, and unique lighting fixtures) and when that enterprise failed, it became 'Character dining' as already explained.

Other very excellent choices are The Napa Rose and Storyteller's Cafe in the Grand Californian Hotel (adjacent to Disney's California Adventure). The Napa Rose is pricey, but the meals are excellent; Storyteller's Cafe is still upscale, very relaxing, more reasonable (price wise), more Family (children) friendly, and I have never had a bad meal there.

Still, a cup of gumbo and a famous Monte-Cristo sandwich eaten water-side, with the Pirates boats gliding by... nothing beats the Blue Bayou as a "Disney Experience"

Enjoy!
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• MargyDisneylandLover

Blue Bayou will be a great option for just a couple....the kids wont be flocking around the princesses nice romantic atmosphere i think we are going to do both in sept but we will see what happens i have eatten at both places before and i loved ariels grottos chicken pot pie but it looks like that has been taken off the menu so we will see if i still love it after this trip lol anyways again ask for waterside dining at each opportunity....make it that much more special
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Achieving epicness.

Hmm, hard choice. I've had good/bad experience at both. and when I say "bad" I mean the food wasn't up to par in my opinion. Blue Bayou gets hyped quite a bit, but when we most recently went about two weeks ago, I thought it was mediocre and then when I saw the bill, overpriced.

I think it all depends on what they like... great experiences and atmospheres can be created anywhere. Here's a decent site with some menus and information, both are kinda out of date, the second one is more complete, but you get the idea...

Disneyland Resort Menus

Disneyland Menus &bull; DL & DCA Area Restaurants

I personally like Steakhouse 55 and Storytellers Cafe.

Desires should not be hindered, no matter how difficult life might appear to be.
    If you fail, don't cease; keep going, keep trying.
    Giving up is never an option.

I agree. Blue Bayou, hands down. It and Ariel's are two totally different experiences. The BB will be, I think, a much better choice for a couple going out for a special dinner.

IMO the Blue Bayou is the best dining experience at Disney. Probably because Pirates is my favorite ride and NOS is my favorite area, but also because of the atmosphere, food, service, and reasonable price for the whole experience.

We keep the food cost down while we're at the parks, then splurge on a few things we really enjoy, and the Blue Bayou is at the top of the list.
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• MargyDisneylandLover

just for my info does ariels grotto still do the cotton candy as an after dinner mint??
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Wilderness Explorer

Didn't see anyone else post this, but unfortunately you can't request water-side seating over the phone. I've tried.
    You have to ask when you check-in during your reservation time.
    And they'll probably have you wait 10-30 minutes depending on how busy it is or how recently people have been seated at the water.

My girlfriend and I already have our reservations for Feb 13th (I've heard Disneyland is a complete mad house on Feb. 14th)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast