• Defying gravity

Red Face Vegan in Disneyland

I've been to DL many times, but this will be my first time as a vegan. I've been reading up about some DLR vegan food items online, but I was wondering if anyone has had first-hand experience visiting as a vegan or visiting with a vegan. I'm looking for offerings in DL, DCA, DtD or walking distance on Harbor Boulevard.

• gyre & gimble in the wabe

Re: Vegan in Disneyland

It depends on if you don't eat any vegan food that's prepared in the same place as animal products. If you don't, the you're going to have to bring your own food into the park. Or eat fruit and salads all day. If your the kind of vegan that overlooks eating things that are cooked next to meat products then you can eat the meatless Gumbo at the Royal Street Veranda in NOS. It's in that Deli type place in the Warf at DCA too, plain pasta w/just marinara from the Pizza Port in TM, the pommes frites w/no cheese is good, the Creole Ratatouille is good too. They are both at Café Orléans I believe. The Blue Bayou has a Portobello Mushrooms and Couscous Maque Choux that I remember being good. I think that's pretty much it. Anybody else have any suggestions?
    Last edited by SpaceDog76; 07-02-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    Feed the Birds. It's not just a song, it's a way of life.

• We Want The Redhead

I've not been brave enough to try them, but at last check the Village Haus (believe it or not) was offering veggie burgers.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan. (Haven't decided to go all the way yet, at least until I know what I'm getting myself into) But I usually stick to fruit carts, I think they're pretty good.

The places I found that have a somewhat limited amount of meatless options are Ariel's Grotto and Blue Bayou.

But I have heard of people with special dietary needs being able to let the restaurant know ahead of time, so that they may prepare a special meal for them. I've never done this myself, but it's worth a try.

You should use your own search engine, and look for vegan restaurants nearby. I'm not a local, so I wouldn't know about too many places, but who knows, maybe there is a fabulous vegan restaurant in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    I've not been brave enough to try them, but at last check the Village Haus (believe it or not) was offering veggie burgers.
    My boyfriend tried this and wasn't impressed. It's nothing compared to boca, but who know's maybe you'll really like it. Worth a try.

There isn't much. I usually eat at the Pizza Port if I am at the Park at a meal time. Their Terra Nova pasta is good, just ask for it to be made for you without the cheese. They have a couple of salads there that would work as well.

That same pasta is served at the Plaza Inn (smaller portion/more money) but if you are with a group you probably want to go to a variety of places.

At DCA, at Boudins, they have a vegetarian chili, that to my knowledge is vegan.

The fruit stands throughout both Parks are a real Godsend.

I wouldn't trust that the veggie burgers at the Village Haus are vegan, most veggie burgers are not.

If you are willing to stray away from Anaheim there are a couple of GREAT vegan restaurants in Orange County. Native Foods and Veggie Grill come to mind.

Good luck, pack nuts!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

My veggie burger at hungry bear was dry and hard and took longer to cook! I would not recommend eating anything from village haus. I'm a carnivore so I have no suggestions beyond that

OH I think they still have veggies on a stick at Bengal BBQ. Tasty!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I would love to know your secret for the Bengal BBQ!!

I have never had good luck with the veggie skewers. Sometimes they are way undercooked and sometimes they are filled with water. And at $3.50 a skewer (I would need four to make a meal) they are kind of expensive for me. I gave up on them a few years ago, which was kind of a shame because it was another choice. Now I just get a fruit box over by Jungle Cruise if my group wants to eat at Bengal.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Well I have only had them like twice, but they were good when I had them! I usually get the chicken w/ the sweeter sauce (don't remember the name) and banana milk. Now that is yummy!! It is really expensive... with no place to sit. I haven't eaten there in a long time, now that I really think about it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

According to the CM guide, the places that serve "vegetarian" food are: Bengal Barbecue, Tiki Juice Bar, Tropical Imports, Critter Country Fruit Cart, Harbour Galley, Hungry Bear Restaurant, Fantasyland Fruit Cart, Troubadour Tavern, Village Haus, Rancho del Zocalo, River Belle Terrace, Carnation Cafe, Plaza Inn, Daisy's Diner, Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, French Market, Royal Street Veranda, Tomorrowland Terrace, and Redd Rockett's Pizza Port.

Again, not all of these places are vegan, and they may or may not have been cooked on the same grills or locations as meat or animal products.

Hope it helps!

• Mecha-Shiva! Mecha-Shiva!

There's an In-n-Out down Harbor. Delicious vegan fries! Nom nom nom!

• See Ya Real Soon!

Vegetarian Chilli at pacific wharf (ask for no cheese)

Vegetarian Taco Salad (ask no cheese/sour cream)

Pasta Marinara (ask for no parm cheese)

Take a look a menus online and see what you can have made to suit your needs. Even eating Vegetarian at the parks can be difficult. But Vegan is even more limited.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I've been to DL many times, but this will be my first time as a vegan. I've been reading up about some DLR vegan food items online, but I was wondering if anyone has had first-hand experience visiting as a vegan or visiting with a vegan. I'm looking for offerings in DL, DCA, DtD or walking distance on Harbor Boulevard.
    I usually eat pasta at Pizza Port with a salad at DL. Ive eaten the Portabella Mushroom dish at Blue Bayou and wasnt impressed but it had nice ambiance. I think the burrito at Rancho can be made vegan. At DTD Jamba Juice(protien berry workout w/soy) or the vegetairian burrito w/black beans at Tortilla Joes. At DCA they have tofu/rice bowls at the new chinese place.

Within walking distance theres a 24hr subway at katella/harbor and also a chinese buffet place in the same strip mall that had a couple of vegan items when I ate there years ago but the food wasn't that good so I never went back. When we eat Chinese now we go to the place on Harbor/Chapman, they don't have a ton of vegan options but the food is good.