Question Dining at Disneyland Resort

I am going to visit in the next month or so for two days and have 2 questions:

1. Where are the best placed to eat in Disneyland. I've been to Blue Bayou but got really bad seating which made it kind of worthless experience (seated us right next to entrance, NO ambiance but inflated price ). Also, which ones need reservations?

2. Has anyone tried all the WOC dining options with reserved viewing, and what are their pluses and minuses?

Thanks!

Re: Dining at Disneyland Resort

If you liked the food at the Blue Bayou and didn't really like the prices, you could try Café Orleans which is also in NOS. The food is very similar to the Blue Bayou but you could easily eat for $15-25 a person instead of $40-60 a person at Blue Bayou. The Pomme Frites at Cafe Orleans are Amazing!

As for WoC Dining I recently tried the Wine Country Trattoria and it really was not that great. The food was very fancy and wouldn't have great appeal for families with older kids and teens looking to order off the kids menu. The food was okay but very expensive ($200) for a group of four. We were fine paying the price to get the tickets to see World of Color but that system was very flawed as well. Even though the tickets say that early or late arrivals WILL NOT be accommodated but this is not true. We showed up about 20 mins early and the CM at the front of the area posted on the ticket told us to wait at a spot... another CM asks us if we were preferred dining and to follow him... the few people around us all had preferred as well and then the CM stuck us in line with the red group so that by the time we made it to Paradise Park the CMs ask us what we are doing in this line and to go right up to the preferred section as most have already been "seated". We were among the last to enter the section and no good spots were left so we left the area and stood in the yellow section and had great spots! I was very annoyed that we spent $200 on dinner and did not even get to utilize the preferred viewing!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Not to change the subject; but Disney needs to cut back on the number of tables they have crammed out there on the BB patio......it didn't use to be that crowded.

Look back on pictures taken in the 70's and 80's (and even as late as 1994) and you will see that the patio was much less jammed with tables and chairs, much more romantic, etc.

end derail-
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I'm kind of wondering the same thing has I will be visiting in October.I have never eaten at the RiverBelle,Golden Horseshoe,Big Thunder BBQ,or Cafe Orleans and were thinking about trying all of these places.I will be going for 4-5 days so I can have lunch and dinners at various in park eateries/restaraunts.Which are recommended?Which are overrated?

• I'm not really here

Blue Bayou can be a lot of fun if you get Water Side seating. If not, it can be meh. The prices are pretty high.

Cafe O'rleans (just across the way from the Blue Bayou entrance) is really great. They have the Monte Cristo for $4 cheaper as well as a full bowl of Gumbo rather than just a cup. We have shown up as a walk-in and been seated right away and also had to wait 35 minutes. Depends on how busy it is at the time you try and go.

Rancho del Zocalo is also one of our favorites. This is a walk-in. We love to go right at sunset and sit outdoors in the breeze and watch the sky change colors while we eat. Bird sounds, classical Spanish guitar sounds and the beautiful views of Frontierland. The food is pretty good too.

Pizza Port is a fun one as well. Pasta and salads. Our favorite is the Countdown Chicken Fusilli. Walk-in here as well. Plenty of seating. Not as great a theme, but good amount of food for the price and it's all good.

Golden Horseshoe. Time this so that you get there about 30 - 40 minutes before a scheduled show for Billy Hill and the Hillbillies or The Laughing Stock Company and you'll have plenty of time to order your food and grab a front row table. Eat at a leisurely pace and you'll be just finishing midway through an excellent show. Not a large menu, but the food is good. Fish and Chips, Chicken fingers... great ice cream and funnel cake. Many don't know this but if you go outside of the Golden Horseshoe and take a hard left down the side of the building you'll come to the Stage Door Cafe. It often has much smaller lines than the interior area and they share a kitchen and menu. You can order here and get your food quicker and take it inside to where another of your party is saving your table. If you care to, the box on the right side of the stage as you face it (stage left) was used by Walt and you are allowed to sit there if it is empty. It's a fun experience.

River Belle Terrace is a great breakfast spot for us. We love to show up soon after the park opens and grab a table out on the terrace overlooking the Rivers of America. Pancakes, etc are the fare here and it's pretty good. Though I miss the stoneware and real silverware. Fruit and milk round out the meal here. Great views and a lot of fun to watch people stroll by and the ships sailing while you eat.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Hooterville, USA

For the money, I suggest Plaza Inn.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Yes Rancho Del Zacolo is a nice place to eat particularly during sunset time.I agree.Pretty good food also.I think the Plaza Inn is pretty good too.

• Here's my 2 cents

Riverbelle Terrace for Breakfast (the "steamboat" is really filling) is really nice, French Market for lunch is really good (the jambalaya and citrus chicken are quite filling) and you'll get live jazz too. For dinner hop on the Monorail and head out to Downtown Disney and eat at the Jazz Kitchen, Catal or House of Blues, if you have a few extra pennies then Check out Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel or the Napa Rose at the Grand Californian for dinner as well. It's worth the few extra bucks to get a real, quality meal
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• DLR Cast Member

At Blue Bayou, just request whatever seating you would like when you check in to be seated. If there is an additional wait, the host will tell you and you can decide whether to wait or not. Most commonly, people request "waterside" tables, which is the row of tables right on the rail that separates the patio from the Bayou itself. Usually "2nd row or better" is faster, and may end up being waterside anyway.

Also, people often request "not next to the kitchen", or "not near the restrooms", and whatever the request you will be quoted an additional wait time if any is required. Just ask for what you want.

• I'm not really here

If you can, make your Blue Bayou reservation 60 days in advance right when Disney Dining opens for the day. Make it for the earliest possible lunch spot (11:30 - 11:45) and you will be almost guaranteed a waterside table. Plus the lunch prices are a bit cheaper.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Now I have a question?What are the best places to go in Downtown Disney,DCA and DL for Breakfast?No character breakfast as I will be a solo traveler in October.Just more like a place to get a quick breakfast before the parks open or the ropes drop.

Thanks for the responses.

The new Disneyland site has some really good maps where you can view info about the places. I've been to Storytellers Cafe for dinner before and its pretty good. It actually looks a few bucks cheaper for lunch than those in the parks. Dinner there is not too bad either, but if I'm already in Disneyland I'll probably try Carnation Cafe, or Rancho Del Zocalo.

"What are the best places to go in Downtown Disney,DCA and DL for Breakfast"

I like La Brea Bakery, but I am going to try River Bell Terrace as well this time.

If you want a drink after being in the parks, don't go to that place in the center of Down Town Disney, go to House of Blues. They have late night happy hour 7 days a week, its like $3 for a beer instead of $8.