Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Where's the Cheese?

Smile Gumbo! Blue Bayou or the Jazz Kitchen?

I had Gumbo for the first time ever about a month ago at the Blue Bayou - and I really really liked it! I've had a huge gumbo craving ever since. Blue bayou of course gets pricey so I'm looking for options. Has anyone tried the gumbo at Jazz Kitchen in DTD? Not good? Great? And even better, anyone know other great gumbo places in SoCal?

• I'm not really here

Re: Gumbo! Blue Bayou or the Jazz Kitchen?

I haven't tried the Jazz Kitchen and I'm not in SoCal, but if you like the Blue Bayou gumbo, go to Cafe Orleans and get the full bowl of gumbo. Same as Blue Bayou and a big bowl of it instead of a cup.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Where's the Cheese?

I've been going to DL for decades and never tried it, let alone knew I could get it at Cafe Orleans, and a full bowl! I'm so there next trip (Monday).

BIG thanks mycroft!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I second the Cafe Orleans! I really liked it there.

• Banned User

NEVER GO TO JAZZ KITCHEN

the ambiance may be nice, but my food experience last thanksgiving was horrible.

all the food had WAY too much salt. ii dont know what happened, but i ordered onion soup. i couldnt even taste the onions

• Silly Bird?

EVERY time I have lunch in the park I get a bowl of the veggie gumbo from the Royal St. Veranda, located next door to Le Bat En Rouge.

Outside of the park, if you're in the LA area, there is a vendor at the Fairfax Farmer's Market that sells several types of Gumbo AND they have chickory coffee. Check them out at THE GUMBO POT
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

• Drunken Disneyland Master

If you goto the Jazz Kitchen you should get the oyster shooters with added vodka. It's so choice.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I love the gumbo at Jazz Kitchen. It's delicious.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Where's the Cheese?

Thanks again, everyone! Gumbo Spot looks good and is something I can do too. Royal St. looks like a good option too - seems they have clam chowder bowls there, and that's what my wife loves!

I might stay away from the shooters with vodka, I keep picturing the name "big drunk dave" and I see someone face down in a gumbo bowl j/k

• Here's my 2 cents

I seem to remember that you can gumbo at The House of Blues too (?).

Dont know whats up the the Jazz Kitchen lately, terrible service the last time we were there, and the food is incosistent too, too bad, it was one of my favs when it opened up.

Cafe Orleans is the way to go everytime, and not just because I do not like the Blue Bayou at all.

French Market is cool too, mainly because I like the live music with my lunch or dinner and it's a pretty good amount of food too
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Minion

I also recommend the Royal Street Veranda. It's very good and extremely reasonable. You can also get your food and eat quickly so you have more time to enjoy the park.

What we like to do is get a bowl of the Clam Chowder from there, we do get gumbo sometimes though, and take our food to the patio of the River Belle Terrace. It's so nice to sit there, enjoying your food, and watching the people around the ROA and the boats go around the ROA.

• Where's the Cheese?

Went Friday night and ate at the Cafe Orleans. Had the Gumbo - great stuff. Also tried out the Monte Cristo based on the good comments here - also great. Definitely one of my favorite places to eat now!

• DLR Cast Member

As mentioned by another poster, Cafe Orleans serves the same gumbo as Blue Bayou, and at CO you can order a cup or a bowl separately, not just select a cup as an appetizer with a main meal as you do at Blue Bayou.

Royal Street Veranda has a steak gumbo and a vegetarian gumbo, served in a sourdough bread bowl. Both are tasty, but not the same as the chicken gumbo served at BB and CO.

Your gumbo expert is here lol!

Royal St. Veranda -- good steak gumbo, but little steak... and little gumbo, esp for the $9 price (most of it is the breadbowl)

Cafe Orleans/Blue Bayou -- same gumbo at both, and good

Jazz Kitchen -- a more authentic gumbo, but a darker roux. This gives it a more burnt taste, which isnt up my alley

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Boiling Crab

If you want some good gumbo and catfish, try the Boiling Crab.

http://theboilingcrab.com/

They have a good seafood gumbo that you can get with our without rice. The main attraction is the peel and eat shrimp and crab, but I personally don't care for the mess. To me, the best items are the deep fried catfish and shrimp baskets, which come with cajun fries. $8 for about 5 pieces of nicely cooked fish with a very light batter that leaves a lot more fish than batter!

Get the catfish basket and gumbo and you'll be all set. By the way, the locations get crowded, although the one on 33 Main in Alhambra has been the least crowded of the bunch. I haven't been to any of the Garden Grove locations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast