Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

The WORST Dinning experience at DTD

So some of you might remember Courtney from Orlando Fun Tickets. She and I worked together back in the day when I was OFTEric. We are known for having epic Orlando and Vegas adventures.

Well Courtney wanted to take me out for my Birthday, so we saw it fit to dine someplace we have both not experienced.

So we settled on T-Rex Restaurant at Downtown Disney. Mind you I read Kevin Yee's review of it, and it was part of the reason why I didn't take the first flight out of Salt Lake to Orlando and experience it. But now that I am living back down here I might as well give it a chance. So before I get into my nit picking let me just rate on a scale of 1 to 5 in a few areas.

Food- 2
    Service- 4
    Atmosphere- 0
    Theming- 4
    Value- 2

I can't even begin to explain how to me personally (a single male in his late 20's ... yes 29 is late 20's) this experience was like dragging my knuckles over a cheese grader.

So we walk in, get seated very quickly. There was a line, but we got taken aside and whisked to a table. So they sit us next to a triceratops, he instantly starts moaning like he is trying to pass a Kidney Stone. I ask if there is anywhere quieter, the person sitting us, smiles and politely says no, and kind of chuckles.

Our server, wonderful, the staff honestly wonderful. Everyone was terrific. How they keep a smile while working in that environment is amazing.

The meteor shower every 45 mins, along with the Triceratops roaring every 10 mins, was enough to make me want to throw my plate.

I had to have the waiter pretty much explain what everything is, because I do not like decoding menu names. If you aren't serving a Mastadon, or Brontosaurous, then your menu item shouldn't make it sound like you do.

The food came, I had grilled chicken breast, with vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes, and Courtney had the Mahi Mahi fish tacos.

Mine was seasoned, well, but the chicken breast was injected with broth, and in the end everything was a tad too salty for my personal liking, but it was edible.

Courtney expressed server disappointment in the quality of the Mahi Mahi in her fish taco.

We had some specialty mixed drinks, Cave Man Punch (basically orange fanta with rum) and a Raptor Rita (simple margarita).

Everyone came and sang to me for my birthday, which was nice and embarrassing, but keeping with the "chilis" quality experience it was par for the course.

In the end the bill totaled to $88.64 for 2 mixed drinks, an appetizer, 2 entrees, and a desert.

I think this is probably a GREAT restaurant if you have small boys, and girls who like dinosaurs. I saw kids freaking out over how cool the dinosaurs were, one even climbed the back of my chair trying to touch one.

However for a young or youngish single or couples, avoid this at all costs. The noise level doesn't allow for any conversation, the kids running around makes it feel a bit like a chucky cheese, and the food quality and price makes you feel like you paid double to eat at Chili's.

Would I dine there again? Even though the service really was great, I would never dine there again.

• Not a Crook

Re: The WORST Dinning experience at DTD

I think you nailed it on the head, this is a restaurant for kids to enjoy and their parents to endure. I walked into the gift shop portion with my fiance to check out the theming, but that was about as much as I wanted to stay in the place. However, I'm sure my much, much younger brothers (9 and 10), would find the place one of the highlights of their trip.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Minion

Well, I must be a kid and my 25 year old son too, because we both liked it and are looking forward to going again in December. Different strokes, for different folks, right?
    I want my cake back!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    Well, I must be a kid and my 25 year old son too, because we both liked it and are looking forward to going again in December. Different strokes, for different folks, right?
    Then by all means spend your money there. But if I am going to spend $44+ on a meal I might as well do Hoop Dee Doo which is 50.00 - 60.00 or half that if I go with a Cast Member friend. Or dine at Coral Reef, or Flying Fish, or California Grill, or Le Cellier, or a number of other fine places.

I went to this place last year with a big group of people. We got sat right in front of the bar so it wasn't as loud right there as it was in other places. I know I was disappointed with my service there. I had just gotten over a really bad case of food poisoning so I wasn't eating full meals yet, and seeing the prices, didn't want to order a full adult meal. I was 17 at the time and I asked our server if I could order off of the children's menu. Before I could even tell her why I wanted to order off the children's menu she promptly told me no. I ended up only ordering a side of fries.

I don't know about anyone else, but I work in a restaurant. Our children's menu does have an age limit to it, but if an adult wants to order off of this menu we still allow it, we just tell them that it is about $2 more to do so. I just wish our server would have let me explain myself before telling me no! And as KingEric has said, I would never eat there again mostly because of my service and the prices.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Wow...pure horror stories. The place was still under construction last time I went to WDW. But I cant imagine it being more horrid than RainForest Cafe.

Zestylemon, great idea to sit at the bar. But that sucks you couldnt order off the kid's menu even on account of an illness.

These restaraunts need to start taking a hint from major restaraunt chains like Applebee's who offer right portion, right price meals. And I hate how in a lot of restaurants, the dessert costs as much as the meal!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Wow. Sorry you had a bad experience!

I haven't eaten at T-Rex. Last time I was there in May it was booked up. But personally, I like Rainforest Cafe. My son likes it. I will probably go to T Rex one day as well, since I know my about to be 4 year old will love it. But usually when eating in a place like that I go for the experience (for a 3 or 4 year this is a really cool place) and I take it for what its worth. I don't expect fine dining. I expect my kids to have a good time. And as long as the food is OK, than I am happy.
    Chuck E Cheese- that food is absolutely horrible.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Chuck E Cheese- that food is absolutely horrible.
    I am sure your kids will love it.

The food isn't bad, like Chuck E Cheese, just the loud atmosphere, and kids running around.

The food is akin to Chilli's, Applebees, Fridays, just 2 to 3 times the price.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Then by all means spend your money there. But if I am going to spend $44+ on a meal I might as well do Hoop Dee Doo which is 50.00 - 60.00 or half that if I go with a Cast Member friend. Or dine at Coral Reef, or Flying Fish, or California Grill, or Le Cellier, or a number of other fine places.
    If I'm going to spend $44 on dinner, I'm going to go to a place like Bern's in Tampa.

Blog Entries

I don't think I'd like that place just there as an adult, but I have some of the greatest memories there because of my son. Also, I'm a bit of a dinosaur fanatic myself so that helps. It was definitely loud, and the food was definitely poor and overpriced (like all the Landry's restaurants in Disney) but my son still talks about eating with the dinosaurs. I'm glad that its there. I won't eat there just by myself, but I'll take my son again someday. I just wish the food was worth the price instead of being poor quality at high prices.

• and too all a good fright

Maybe I am jaded. I would expect any restaurant with a gigantic T-rex on the building to stress style over substance, serve crap food, and price gouge me for the privilege. Jekyll & Hyde Club in NYC...check. Rainforest Cafe in Atlantic City...check. Planet Hollywood just about anywhere...check.

If I were eating at one of the more adult restaurants at DTD, I might be miffed at the loud kids and the triceratops, but I expect this at a theme restaurant.

I don't necessarily disagree with your points, but find the WORST of the title a bit hyperbolic.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by flotsam_mike View Post

I don't necessarily disagree with your points, but find the WORST of the title a bit hyperbolic.
    that is fair. I was thinking about it after i posted it, and maybe I was being a little too Hyperbolic.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Uh, what else would you expect? Everything you said is what I've read in every other review.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Former DL & WDW CM

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience! I was there in June of 2009, and actually really enjoyed it. i definitely preferred the food options to Rainforest, and was really pleased with the tortellini I had.

It makes me sad to hear that they've slipped

• Herr Ducktor!

I'm confused. Why is this in a sub forum entitled "So. Cal Restaurant Reviews"? Maybe I'm mistaken, but this seems to be discussing WDW, not DLR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast