• "I Break Things"

PoFolks on Beach to close after Sept 26th

I guess PoFolks made the announcement a couple days ago. I can't begin to express how sad this makes me. I've been going there since I was a small child. Countless memories of the trains, the pancakes, just good family memories. Tink and I've taken the kids there over the years... hoping to give them the same memories we hold so dear. My apologies for the short notice but if you want to eat there today is your last chance. About all I can say is "thanks for the memories". I hate it when life moves on like this.

-- Techskip
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Nerd

Re: PoFolks on Beach to close after Sept 26th

I've driven by it 1000's of times and never eaten there. Its probably partially my fault that it's closing.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    I've driven by it 1000's of times and never eaten there. Its probably partially my fault that it's closing.
    Same here.

Come to think of it, why bother going to Knotts to visit a ghost town when all you have to do is drive down Beach Blvd and experience the real thing?

So sad...

• "I Break Things"

I've had so much going on I just now downloaded the photos off the camera.

Most people didn't think PoFolks would make it after Movieland Wax Museum closed... but it did... lasted almost 5 years (would have been 5 on Halloween) with that empty museum shell behind it.

Now little more then a memory... I remember times when the whole porch was full of people. Lucille's BBQ now reminds me of PoFolks "back then". Good luck trying to get near the door on a holiday like Thanksgiving, Easter, or Christmas...

empty benches on both sides... I remember sitting on them a few times waiting to get in the door. They had a lot of food, just not a lot of room.

The menu wasn't much to look at... just good cheap food...

We usually went on a Sunday morning when it wasn't as busy. The crowds would usually come in around the time we were leaving. This helped... because with so many kids I always had to find "extra" golf tee games.

Every kid had a game (I always returned them to the other tables when we left).

Tink with her beloved hot chocolate.

The pancakes are roughly the size of a dinner plate. I think this whole plate was around $6... PoFolks was a place you never left hungry.

A final shot on those old benches.

believe me... I wish I could... we have a lot of memories there as a family. I took Melissa there a couple times when we dated... and I remember times with my own dad there as well.

I knew the economy was bad, and that the place wasn't as crowded as it used to be. But I don't think it would be fair to blame the economy. In recent years Knott's added more food locations on property, and off property food locations expanded. Denny's was right down the street off the freeway... so you might say they crumbled under over saturation. The main draw of PoFolks was always the Movieland Wax Museum... and to some degree Ripley's across the street. Beach is also an "interesting" road, and getting to them wasn't exactly easy. I will miss the place, in a lot of ways it did remind me of Lucille's... a "chain" that in many ways didn't seem like a chain.

I've heard varying comments about Lunch and Dinner menus. It definately was Southern inspired... not exactly the healthiest meals. We usually stopped for breakfast before a big road trip. Lots of food, cheap, and heavy... made it easy to make it to wherever we needed to go without stopping.
    Last edited by techskip; 10-03-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

wow i will really miss Po Folks i loved eating there every trip to Buena park. Another Gem closing on Beach blvd. things have not been the same since the wax museum lost its charm then closed

• "Always On The Move..."

Sorry to hear they are closing. I used to eat there quite a lot when I worked at Knott's. Great food and even better prices. It was a wonderful place.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• 1 man can make a difernce

That is too sad to hear. I loved that place. Best chicken fried steak EVER!
    Not anxious to die Sir, just anxious to matter.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jediz28

I am going to miss PoFolks. Used to love their biscuits and gravy and the trains that would go around the restaurant. It is a shame.

That's bad news. We never went there for breakfast, but usually went there for dinner. I had noticed the decline in customers and, to me, the decline in food quality recently.

Thanks for the memories Po' Folks.