Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Napa Rose Opinions

This is not meant to be a flame thread... but...

Does anyone else think that Napa Rose is really overrated? I went there for the first time and while the food was good, I felt like it was a typical "hotel" fine dining establishment (yes, I realize it is indeed IN A HOTEL).

The ambiance left A LOT to be desired for me. Maybe I got seated at a bad table, but with the high ceilings and somewhat sterile decor, I couldn't help but feel like I was in a Las Vegas buffet dining room. For fine dining, I am used to a more dimly lit, intimate environment.

The service was fine, but not great. And the food was the same. Good but not great. I dunno, maybe I was expecting too much based on some things I've read. I would love to hear some other opinions.
    *A Republic... If you can keep it*

• Achieving epicness.

Re: Napa Rose Opinions

Is it upper-class for Disneyland? Yes.
    Is it upper-class for the real world? Not so much.

I do enjoy it for what it is though.

Desires should not be hindered, no matter how difficult life might appear to be.
    If you fail, don't cease; keep going, keep trying.
    Giving up is never an option.

• formerly very helpful

It didn't thrill me too much. I agree with WarningSLO. It was alright, but I actually prefer StoryTeller's much more. To me, it captures that "Disney quality" that I can't put my finger on, much better.
    Perhaps if I was a wine drinker it might mean more to me, but I'm not.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

For a Disneyland Resort restaurant, it's top notch, easily the best you'll find.

I find Napa Rose to be an excellent value for whats offered.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

The Napa Rose gets very high marks from me consistently. The service is the best in the resort. The staff are well seasoned in fine dining and know the restaurant hands down. And if there is ever anything wrong, it will be made right. You'd be hard pressed to find better wine (or better bartenders) anywhere. I've dined there regularly since it openend and always recommend it....even if only for drinks in their lovely lounge.

The food was excellent and so was the service, however, I thought the atmosphere resembled an expensive bar. I have seen more people who imbibed too many libations (I'm being polite with my word usage) at my one time at Napa Rose than I have ever seen in all my times at Steakhouse 55. It felt like I was dining with drunks with money instead of a nice restaurant.

• Here's my 2 cents

The Napa Rose is a great experience in food and service, but it's gonna cost you. If one just goes there just orders a main course and a drink, then you've wasted your money and time, its no different than going to any eatery. the experience lies in going all out and spending the time (and money) by doing it right which means cocktails, appetizers, wines, starters, main course, desserts, cognac, brandy or ports followed by a really good cup of coffee.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Elk Grove Chris

We were there last Wednesday, at 7. I guess it has a lot to do with what you are used to, to me NR is fairly upscale, very upscale for DL.

I did not associate the décor with a Vegas style buffet. Materials throughout were modern, very clean design. It actually takes some panache to have an open kitchen on full display. Having worked in several restaurants through college, some pretty upscale, most of what goes on in restaurant kitchens is not fit for public consumption.

We had perfect service. The waiter was prompt, gave us time to ponder the menu, checked on us when we needed something, but otherwise left us alone, no hovering. Perfect.

Extensive wine list for sure. As with all restaurants, booze is where they really gouge you pretty heavily. A 200-300% mark up is fairly common. We settled on a nice Pinot from New Zealand. It was a great bottle of wine, $50 at NR, probably $13 at BevMo. Was it worth $50 to me at dinner, absolutely.

We ordered the seven deadly sins appetizer. Essentially seven bites for $45. However, each of those bites was pretty darn good. Would I order that again, probably not, but glad to experience it nonetheless.

Entrees were full portions. My wife and daughter shared the Ono and they were stuffed. I had the rib eye, which was easily 16 ounces and was perfectly aged. My Mom had a bone-in NY, another great steak; NY’s are notoriously too lean, great marbling in the meat at NR. My son had the kid’s pasta with crème sauce, which was the only average thing about NR that evening (he killed it, I had one bite and it was ok). We all shared several desserts, they were all very good.

So I would say it was well worth the money, but at the OP stated, take in the full experience, not just a cocktail and some calamari.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
    The food was excellent and so was the service, however, I thought the atmosphere resembled an expensive bar. I have seen more people who imbibed too many libations (I'm being polite with my word usage) at my one time at Napa Rose than I have ever seen in all my times at Steakhouse 55. It felt like I was dining with drunks with money instead of a nice restaurant.
    That's actually an enticing review! lol ;-)
    Yes, it's true....people do like to cocktail at the Napa Rose. But I've practically never seen anyone get out of hand or unruly. As for the atmosphere, I've heard it described as like being on a cruise ship. Which if you're sitting in the lounge, it kind of does resemble that.

• Refugee from a island

I live within an hour of some of the finest restaurants in the world, I'd rate the Napa Rose in that class.

I've always experienced very good food and great service there, and yes, you are going to pay for that experience. For anyone who has done any wine tours in the Napa area, the decor at the Napa Rose is very reminiscent of a winery tasting room.

Having a drink out by the fire pit, enjoying a fine cigar, is a real treat, and I dare you to show up at any other fine eating establishment in jeans and a Hawiian shirt, and not feel completely out of place. Not the case at the Napa Rose.

Is the Napa Rose the end all and be all of the restaurant world (as I have heard claimed on other sites)? Not by a long shot, but, I think it holds it's own quite well.

• Sock Puppet

I give Napa rose two thumbs up

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    The Napa Rose gets very high marks from me consistently. The service is the best in the resort. The staff are well seasoned in fine dining and know the restaurant hands down. And if there is ever anything wrong, it will be made right. You'd be hard pressed to find better wine (or better bartenders) anywhere. I've dined there regularly since it openend and always recommend it....even if only for drinks in their lovely lounge.
    I completely concur, and we are foodies. I would say the only restaurant in the area with a comparable wine list is Mr. Stox. The sommeliers at NR are very experienced. If you like really great wine, the Wine Exchange in Orange on Tustin off of the 55 is one of the best wine stores in Southern California, both in selection and price. NR corkage is very reasonable (I can't recall how much exactly).

The only time we had minutely less than stellar service was when we went when the park was very crowded over Thanksgiving.

• Sock Puppet

Allears.net just updated the menu link for Napa Rose,I guess the menu changed.. but either way it all looks good!

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by WarningSLO View Post
    This is not meant to be a flame thread... but...

Does anyone else think that Napa Rose is really overrated? I went there for the first time and while the food was good, I felt like it was a typical "hotel" fine dining establishment (yes, I realize it is indeed IN A HOTEL).

The ambiance left A LOT to be desired for me. Maybe I got seated at a bad table, but with the high ceilings and somewhat sterile decor, I couldn't help but feel like I was in a Las Vegas buffet dining room. For fine dining, I am used to a more dimly lit, intimate environment.

The service was fine, but not great. And the food was the same. Good but not great. I dunno, maybe I was expecting too much based on some things I've read. I would love to hear some other opinions.
    Really? Are there other places in the OC you are getting Pheasant Bolognese with shaved Oregon Black Truffles and Pork "osso bucco"? I think Napa Rose is one of the better restaurants in Orange County and has a top five wine cellar, there are few equals in OC.

As to the high ceilings and decor, I guess it does depend on where you sit, I really like the big glass window and the open feel, but really love the Chef's Counter and the chance you have to talk with the chef. It is the greatest way to eat.

Bottom line, I don't find Napa Rose overpriced or overrated, I think it is deserving of the accolades it gets.

• -

I've only eaten there once. My wife and I went right after I took the Bar exam as kind of a way to unwind from all that studying. I remember, I walked out of the third and final day of the exam at around 5pm and had reservations for 6pm. We found the atmosphere pleasant and the wait staff very friendly and attentive. It was a great experience.

Now, as a fine dining establishment, we go every winter to Yosemite for a week and stay at the Ahwahnee. Their dining room is rated as one of the best in the world. I think Napa Rose is easily on par with that.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast