• Former Epcot CM

Your advice is much desired

Gooooood morning/afternoon/evening wonderful knowledgeable people.

In July my family and I will be flying from London to Los Angeles for two weeks, spending our time in SoCal from our base in an Anaheim hotel. We've got five-day passes for the parks, and plan to spend four full days at the parks with the fifth date being an evening at the parks after spending the day elsewhere.

My family love to eat, and after ten years of vacationing in Florida we've become well accustomed to the marvellous dining-out opportunities the US provides. Now I'm looking for your advice on what are the must-eat restaurants in Anaheim and beyond.

In the parks
    I've read from several places the standard of eating at the DLR is way below that of WDW, which we've had countless amazing meals at. Now I'm sure there must be some good places to eat, right?
    Could you tell me your favourite...

• counter service/casual dining for lunch or early evening
    • sit down table service restaurant (and why!?)
    • snack/snack bar
    • place to get a cup of tea/coffee

Also,

• is the WOC package worth doing? If so, what restaurants are available and how soon do we need to book?
    • is the Fantasmic! dessert package worth doing? Again, how soon do we need to book?
    • what are the restaurants in Downtown Disney like?

Outside the parks
    Like I've said, a big part of my holiday/vacation is the evening meals. My family love everything, but what we look forward to in America is the Mexican restaurants and the steak places, two areas of cuisine we can't really get equal quality of in the UK. So...

• What's your favourite Mexican restaurant in Anaheim/SoCal?
    • What's your favourite place for steak/ribs?
    • What are the dining options in Anaheim like, generally?
    • Is there an area of SoCal known for great food?
    • What's the best beach for food/seafood? We've been recommended Venice and Huntington beaches several times, what are they like?

Finally, if you have any food recommendations to do with Anaheim/SoCal at all, please please tell me. After years in Florida we know pretty well what is available but this is a brand new area of the world and somewhere where pre-acquired knowledge will be very useful.

I appreciate I've asked an awful lot, so I'm not expecting anyone to answer every question. Absolutely anything you have to offer will be much appreciated. Thank you!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Re: Your advice is much desired

Hello Speedway,

First I hope you have a fantastic trip here in So. Cal! Now let me address some of your questions:

1). In Disneyland, for sit down dinning I would recommend Big Thunder BBQ (especially since you asked about ribs). It's a lot of fun, all you can eat and not too bad food. However for good ribs and bbq here in So Cal I would recommend Beach Pit BBQ here in Huntington Beach, great food and it's 2 blocks from the beach.

2). Continuing on Sit down dinners, Blue Bayou is always a favorite. Prices are a bit steep, but it is the only restaurant that is also part of an attraction. Food is usually pretty good, but the consistency of the quality changes sometime.

3). Since you asked about WOC dinning options, I have done all 3, Ariel's Grotto, Wine Country, and the Picnic. . . by far the best is Wine Country Trattoria. I was very skeptical at first (as I love Naples Pizzaria in Downtown Disney), but was very pleasantly surprised! Plus you get the best location for the WOC show. . . For me yes it was worth it every time we have done it.

4). I have done the Fantasmic! Dessert viewing a few times and also think it was worthwhile. The desserts were actually pretty good, they give you all you can drink Coffee, and sodas, and you get to sit for the firework show too! The best part is you don't need to wait 4 hours to get a good spot for the show (but try and check in as early as possible usually around 6pm).

5). Downtown Disney; I have eaten at every establishment there, some are gimmicky (like Rain Forest Cafe), and some are simply really good, like Naples, and Tortilla Joe's. Personally I would stay away from the "Jazz Kitchen" I think it is over priced for mediocre food. However it is popular. UVA Bar is a great place to get a drink, but it can be over priced but fun for people watching. House of Blues has been hit or miss, but by and large not too bad, there ARE better places though (Hey I have some $25 discount tickets for House of Blues, depending on circumstances maybe I can pass one off to you).

I haven't even gotten into places outside of Disney, nor the casual eating places (small tip the food at California Adventures is much better then Disneyland), but when the topic is food, I can go on and on. If you want send me a PM and I'll let you know my favorites! BTW yes Huntington Beach is a good location for seafood, Mexican, burgers, etc. . .

Have a great trip!

• Nerd

What's your favourite Mexican restaurant in Anaheim/SoCal? El Farolito Mexican Restaraunt is in my opinion, THE BEST Mexican food in Socal. and we have about 10,000 mexican rest. so that's saying a lot. The other favorite, but its farther away is in San Clemente CA, Called El Adobe - President Nixon used to eat here when he stayed in California.

What's your favourite place for steak/ribs? Steak/Ribs - Houstons in Irvine - The Hawaiian Rib Eye Steak is so good, The ribs are to die for - The prime rib sandwich is by far the BEST sandwich on earth.
    Other GREAT Steak - closer to the park is Ruth's Chris Steak house or Morton's (must have reservations or you won't get in)
    What are the dining options in Anaheim like, generally? Other dining options in Anaheim, got to Bucca de Peppo for italian food - fun atmosphere and very good, Beyond that - Anaheim isn't really known for its great dining.
    Is there an area of SoCal known for great food? Beverly Hills - Lawry's Prime Rib. - Famous and fabulous.
    What's the best beach for food/seafood? We've been recommended Venice and Huntington beaches several times, what are they like? Dukes in Huntington Beach or Kings Fish House in Huntington Beach - either or are Great. Dukes is at the pier on the beach so the atmosphere is more - "Surf City California " type, but that's what some people are looking for.

Finally, if you have any food recommendations to do with Anaheim/SoCal at all, please please tell me. After years in Florida we know pretty well what is available but this is a brand new area of the world and somewhere where pre-acquired knowledge will be very useful.
    I highly recommend a little tiny place in Los Alamitos called SHENANDOAH. Extremely charming little garden restaurant that serves authentic American cuisine like THE BEST pork chops you'll ever eat, great mashed potatoes and gravy, fritters, biscuits, Bar-B-Que beef and other classic American foods. Also, Think about Loucilles Smokehouse in Orange...and Slater 50/50 for the best Hamburger - and last but not least - The Hat in Brea for an outstanding Pastrami Sandwich and chili fries that you will crave for the rest of your life.
    I've given you all of my favorites - for anyone who would be coming to America and wants to enjoy American hospitality!!!

Its a lot to Digest (oh funny) but I hope this helps.
    Have a great time!!!!!!!!
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

I can vouch for Houston's in Irvine - the ribs are fantastic, the seafood is pretty good, the prime rib "French Dip" is my favorite (and agreed, the best sandwich ever!) - but I've never really thought much of how they do a steak. The ribs at that place in Huntington Beach are really good too though......

In Anaheim - what about the "White House" - almost universal good reviews, great italian food.....easy cab ride from the DLR

Anaheim White House Restaurant - New Italian Bistro Style - Located Near The Anaheim Convention Center

For steaks, what about Steakhouse 55 at the DL Hotel?

Steakhouse 55 | Dining & Restaurants | Disneyland Resort

I like Morton's, but I've heard the Morton's across the street from the DLR isn't as good as others........

Not a fan of Downtown Disney - any of the places - I consider the food mediocre and overpriced. The price for a single pizza at Napoli is simply extortionate! I'd rather eat at California Pizza Kitchen over at Gardenwalk.

Ah..... Gardenwalk...... 2 blocks from DLR - full of chains, but pretty good chains....

Restaurants at The Shops at Anaheim GardenWalk | Dining in Orange County

CPK, drink specials at Fire & Ice, Johnny Rocket's, McCormick & Schmicks (pretty good), P.F. Chang and Roy's (the Roy's down here in La Jolla has fantastic seafood - but is pricey!)..........

I forgot one last place.......

For exceptionally fine dining in Anaheim (actually the city of Orange - an easy cab ride from the DLR), I can reccomend a place called "The Hobbit"........ It's probably one of Orange County's best fine dining restaurants (one of the highest rated Zagat listings in Southern California). I've been there twice and it rivals some of the best meals I've had in London, Paris or the Loire Valley! It has one of the best wine cellars in Southern California and is a regular host of Napa Valley Vintners for tasting menus - unfortunately, they have a dress code, reservations are a MUST - but the food is unforgettable! Yes, it's pricey, sort of like a Guy Savoy, Gordon Ramsay or Joel Robuchon, but the food is incredible!

http://www.hobbitrestaurant.com/page.aspx?pgid=1

Bon Appetit!
    Last edited by sdjeff4sc; 04-23-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: I forgot another place to eat

• Hukuna Matata!

Im Taking Some notes from CM husband great advise,
    I would like to add a few of my own experiences
    On huntington Beach I love to eat at Rubys at the end of the pier, great Shrimp tacos! If you are travelling as far as LA there is a great Mexican food Resturant called Manuels de azteca, it was profiled on the Tv show Man vs Food and it is really great. Inside the parks I think that you will find that The Chimichangas are a great on the go snack, Im sure you have heard about the Blue Bayou, great great atmosphere with a great Monti Cristo! Avoid the World of color meal, The food is not recommended. Just a few thoughts and if I think of any more I will PM you.

• Minion

Dissenting voice of flame? Perhaps. I'm not a fan of the chain restaurants, even the high-end ones. Are you going to get a bad steak at Morton's? No. But you're also going to get the same steak as you would at the Morton's in Chicago or Atlanta. Same with Ruth's Chris. Like many locals, I find the Anaheim White House to be overrated. The White House frequently offers a buy one entree, get one entree free deal. My inside epicurean believes that a good restaurant doesn't need coupons to get people in the door. That said, I've always found Buca di Beppos to be mediocre at best, with an ambiance just as contrived as Applebee's. So, I'd recommend the Anaheim White House over Buca di Beppos any day.

For fish I'd go to the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. For ribs, we always go to Blake's Place in what looks like a corporate complex but is family-owned serving fabulous ribs and BBQ. Other casual restaurants we go to a lot are Stubrick's in Fullerton and the Lazy Dog Cafe, which is right off of Katella near the Honda Center. For fine dining, I highly recommend Mr. Stox.

I agree with ShelbyH regarding chain restaurants. As for steak places of the chains mentioned I would say Ruth Chris and Houston's are the best. I often go to the Houston's in Century City and it is always the same, very consistent (but if you are up that way go to Pink Taco or Bouchon in Beverly Hills instead). Lawry's isn't bad either, the one on San Vicente is the original so if you're doing a chain might as well go to the one that started it all. For Huntington Beach, Beverly Hills, and Mid-Wilshire I can give you some good tips (not just the food but cost as well). As for anywhere in Anaheim not so much.

I would say that any Italian place mentioned here. . . is well, American Italian, coming from GB I would avoid them all unless you are looking for New York Style Pizza. From my experience it just doesn't compare (I lived in Europe for 6 years).

• Minion

I agree, JohnK, that we have no really authentic Italian places here that I can recommend.

I also forgot about our favorite Mexican place--Gabbi's Kitchen at the circle in Orange. They make their own tortillas and churros and all of their food is fresh, plus the cuisine represents many parts of Mexico, not just the Taco Bell part of Mexico.

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Dissenting voice of flame? Perhaps. I'm not a fan of the chain restaurants, even the high-end ones.
    I'd have to agree when traveling. No chain restaurants is something I stick to, even if it's Roy's or Ruth's Chris.

At the DLR:
    I'm a fan of the Boudine's counter service food, with the breadbowls... I can't remember what it's exactly called. But I actually prefer Downtown Disney Restaurants like the Jazz Kitchen for Dinner. And La Brea Bakery near the entrance in Downtown Disney is my fave for breakfast/ coffee.

My favorite snacks would be a churro, popcorn, frozen banana, or the Dole Whip. There's just something different about the churros at DLR.

Outside of the park:
    As for Mexican food, I'd suggest trying a hole in the wall one over any sit down restaurant. Alerto's in Fullerton (not too far from DLR) and Pepe's.

For BBQ, I like Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ. Lots of Southern Hospitality.

Huntington Beach's Main Street is a very interesting, young, hip area filled with tattoos, MMA, alcohol, and lots of sun, surf, and beach. However, if you're into a more family oriented restaurant, there's one of the restaurants at Huntington Beach's Pier: Duke's which is a good Hawaiian style restaurant.

Venice is a much more open place (as in less crowded feeling) than Huntington, and there is plenty to do there. Play in the sand and ocean, walk or run on the boardwalk, skate or bike on the boardwalk, shopping through the small shops, watch street performers, etc.

I'd avoid Newport Beach and Laguna Beach as you pretty much need to sell a body organ to afford any restaurants there... ok that's an exaggeration, but it's pricey. However, they're both very clean areas, especially Laguna, which is very artsy.

If you can make it down to San Clemente (about an hour or less South of Anaheim) there's a great pizza place called Pizza Port with delicious beer and pizzas. I would suggest the Pizza Carlsbad with pesto, mesquite BBQ chicken, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and feta cheese... this is my favorite pizza in the whole world right now and I don't even like artichoke!

Even further South, if you can make it to San Diego, I'd suggest a few places: Divine Pastabilities in Point Loma (Pasta in a Torpedo), Las Olas Mexican Food in Cardiff (right on the beach where you can watch the sunset over the ocean while in the restaurant), and one more would be... Corvette Diner in Point Loma. 50's and 60's style diner with plenty of charm and delicious food.

Hope that helps a bit!

• Former Epcot CM

You guys have been incredibly helpful. I've been Googling every restaurant mentioned and salivating over the menus and photos. I just spent half an hour reading reviews of Big Thunder BBQ at DL dreaming of the chicken... mmm....

No seriously, you've given me so much help. Thank you everyone for taking the time!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

You're welcome! You will DEFINITELY have to come back and let us know which ones you chose and what you thought of them.

I am so missing our time in Europe. We were lucky enough to live in Germany for 7 months in 2004 for my husband's work and crammed in as much travel as we could. I love the UK and in December 2010 we all went to Europe, stopping to visit a good friend of mine in Oxford for four days (not enough!) and spending a few days in London. I can't wait to go back.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    You're welcome! You will DEFINITELY have to come back and let us know which ones you chose and what you thought of them.

I am so missing our time in Europe. We were lucky enough to live in Germany for 7 months in 2004 for my husband's work and crammed in as much travel as we could. I love the UK and in December 2010 we all went to Europe, stopping to visit a good friend of mine in Oxford for four days (not enough!) and spending a few days in London. I can't wait to go back.
    Oh really? Where in Germany were you? I visited Berlin for my birthday last November and it was incredible, possibly my favourite city that I've visited. Oxford is absolutely beautiful. Perhaps not so much in December but in the summer it's glorious. And of course, London. Which right now will be crammed full of you guys waiting for the wedding... why do Americans love our royals a zillion times more than we do? You can have 'em!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Oh really? Where in Germany were you? I visited Berlin for my birthday last November and it was incredible, possibly my favourite city that I've visited. Oxford is absolutely beautiful. Perhaps not so much in December but in the summer it's glorious. And of course, London. Which right now will be crammed full of you guys waiting for the wedding... why do Americans love our royals a zillion times more than we do? You can have 'em!
    We lived in Hamburg and traveled from there. The December trip we visited Hamburg, then Munich and stayed with a friend in Bavaria. I have no idea why Americans love the royal family so much. I guess when your country is only officially 235 years old, it's fascinating to see authentic (albeit obsolete) historical pageantry. Other than that--I can't tell you. It's on at 3am my time. I'll be sleeping

I concur with ShelbyH about Blake's Place! Awesome BBQ!! We always get it to go because the restaurant is small and ususally crowded. Stubricks in Fullerton is awesome and so is The Lazy Dog Cafe!! Lazy Dog has a huge menu. My boyfriend from Illinois had the Lazy Dog Burger there and swears it's the best burger he's ever had anywhere.

My favorite place to get steak without having to take out a second mortgage is Black Angus. It's a chain restaurant so they should have several locations in southern california. Get the New York strip steak - it's the best! They also have amazingly good broccoli and garlic mashed potatos mmmm!

For Italian I like Il Fornaio in Irvine. My grandma is italian and she cooks some seriously good Italian so I'm very picky about it! Il Fornaio makes an amazing margarita pizza and the butternut squash ravioli with brown sage butter is rediculous! Bucca Di Beppo is about as italian as Olive Garden. Prego Restaurante in Irvine is also fantastic!

When it comes to food in SoCal, the rule is that the closer to the coast you get, the better the food gets. I live very close to Disneyland and my family ususally travels to Newport Beach when we want good food. Pretty much every restaurant I've ever eaten at in Newport Beach is top notch and worlds better than what you can find in Anaheim. Newport is just south of Huntington. I reccomend Panini on Pacific Coast Highway -the have italian/mediteranian/middle-eastern fusion. The place is always packed with locals. Try the lasagna, it has a deep rich meaty flavor and a hint of curry! Also, my sister works at Tommy Bahama right across the street from Panini and that's some serious good eats too. It has a really nice patio and a lot of unique tropical style dishes. We beg my sister to bring us home food all the time!

For mexican, my favorite is Don Jose' in Anaheim Hills. Maybe it's because I've been going there since I was old enough to suck down refried beans, but I just LOVE it. There are a LOT of really good mexican restaurants though and it's one of the things you don't have to go to the coast for. Even the chains are really good. El Torito Grill is one of my other favorites ( I have lots) and there is one in Anahiem not far from Disneyland. They make their own tortillas and put honey butter, chipotle salsa and regular salsa on the table to eat with your hot fresh tortillas. HIGHLY reccomended. Please note that El Torito Grill has a totally different menu from El Torito, which is still good but doesn't have the fresh torillias. I think you should go to El Torito Grill. If you're looking for good quick mexican, hit up Chipotle. Made to order burritos. I like the barbacoa. spicy and delicious.

For DLR -

Favorite place to eat dinner is French Market, second fav is pizza port, third is Rancho Del Zocalo. I haven't eaten at a table service restaurant in the parks in a really long time but either cafe orleans or bleu bayeu would be my choice if I was going to eat at one. Best place for coffee /tea ect. is The Blue Ribbon Bakery on main street. They have more fancy coffee drinks and they probably have tea? They also have fantastic cookies and desserts to dunk in your coffee, or, as i do, in my hot chocolate.

I like the food at Disneyland way better than DCA. Everyone has their own opinion and I haven't eaten at wine country trattoria yet (expensive sit down restaurant) but Ariel's Grotto was extreeeemly dissapointing. If I eat at DCA I ususally eat at Taste Pilots Grill. DCA has closed at least three restaurants - the deli place in Hollywood was my favorite, the soap opera restaurant and Pizza Om Ow Ow were ok too. The food at the warf area is pretty good but the atmosphere is kind of blah. Even though I didn't like Ariel's Grotto, I'd say the WOC dinner deal is still worth it, just do the Wine Country Trattoria or the picnic meals instead. WOC is soooo much better if you can see it from dead center and as close to the water as you possibly can be. It's almost a different show from the sides or from the back so you FOR SURE want to get into the reserved section and go early so you get down by the water. I've never done the dessert deal for Fantasmic but I will one of these days, it seems like a good deal too. mmm dessert! The cheesecake at french market with the raspberries is super good! Anyway - fantasmic is good from anywhere you can see it but the sit-down sections are the best!

Let me know if you need any more info... I'm an AP and I've lived in OC for 22 years. (lived in Florida for 6 years)
    Last edited by Gwenchanter; 06-03-2011 at 11:34 PM.