• Not at Disneyland :(

Vegetarian options at DLR

Hello Everyone!
    I will be heading to the park with my best friend in a few weeks who is a vegetarian. Though Iíve been to Disneyland more times that I can count, I have never been with a vegetarian before. I know that most of the restaurants offer vegetarian options but I know nothing about the quality of them since I have never tried for myself.
    Can you guys recommend any good choices? I am looking for both sit down restaurants and places for a quick bite/snack. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. We will be going to both parks.
    Thanks in advance for the advice!

Re: Vegetarian options at DLR

Everywhere that they have hamburgers, they will also have garden burgers. They don't have any soy patties, though. Also, in New Orleans Square, you'll find vegetarian gumbo that is very good.

If I'm not in the mood for a garden burger or the gumbo, I will have them make a grilled cheese at the counter service places. They really just give you a bun with cheese in it (grilled) and charge you for a burger. Unfortunately there aren't too many vegetarian options at Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassSlipper View Post
    Unfortunately there aren't too many vegetarian options at Disneyland.
    I am a vegetarian and eat well at Disneyland. However, one does need to be a bit choosy on where to eat. Virtually every restaurant has something that is vegetarian - even the Bengal BBQ (Outback Vegetable Skewer). The real question is - is it something that you want to eat. In my opinion, Disneyland's best vege options are Cafe Orleans, Rancho del Zocalo and Redd Rockett's Pizza Port.
    DCA has substantially fewer options, but still items can be found.

Don't worry too much about finding things for your friend to eat - you won't have a problem.

conncr
    Former Submarine Voyage CM 1994-1995

Breakfast is the probably the easiest for a vegetarian anywhere. The River Belle Terrace has several good options, but any place that serves breakfast should be fine.

Personally I like to eat a lighter lunch, like the vegeburger and fries then a larger dinner like pasta or pizza or mexican. However a later larger meal works well too. In the past, I have chosen the taco salad options at the Rancho del Zocalo or the salads and pizza at Pizza Port. But Cafe Orleans has a vege Monte Cristo sandwich and the Ratatouille is really good too.

California Adventure is in a bit of holding pattern on restaurants right now. About the only place to get fast vegetarian food was pizza. There are some OK mexican options, but it has been much more limiting overall.

At either park, simply ask at the restaurant what vege options they have, and they will be happy to help. The full service restaurants may even be able to make something vegetarian special for your friend if you ask.

conncr
    Former Submarine Voyage CM 1994-1995

The past two years I've been I've found enough options to get by.

Like Conncr said, veggie burgers are available where hamburgers are available. Pizza places will have cheese pizza. So as long as your friend is vegetarian, you should be good. Vegan would be much more difficult.

Thanks for making this thread - it has some good tips for my upcoming trip! I want to try that gumbo!
    Follow me on Twitter: Steveo1485

The countdown is on! Back in the parks in early June!

• Not at Disneyland :(

Thanks for all the advice guys. It seems like there are a few good options to try, I'll let you know how it goes!

• always, the freaky cat

Last time I went to California Adventure, I was surprised to discover a delicious portabello mushroom sandwich at Award Wieners, next to the 3-D Muppet attraction.

The veggie skewers at Bengal BBQ are outstanding!

I just wanted to add that La Brea in Downtown Disney also has some good vegetarian options. I really like their grilled cheese sandwich.

• Defying gravity

I'm vegan, so my options are more limited, but....

DLR:
    - Vegetable ratatouille at Cafe Orleans (order without the crabcakes)
    - Vegetarian gumbo from Royal Street Veranda
    - Pasta with marinara sauce at Redd Rockett's
    - Several different salads at Redd Rockett's

DCA:
    - Veggie chili at Pacific Wharf
    - Veggie tacos at Cocina Cucamonga

Nothing too exciting, but you won't starve!

• Banned User

Just FYI, I had posted these two videos a while back. They're not at Disneyland, but they are in OC and not that far from the Park. Might be worth considering.

Here's a list of the top 10 vegan-friendly restaurants in Anaheim - Vegan Friendly Restaurants - Anaheim - Orange County | Urbanspoon

They include the Bengal Barbecue, the Hungry Bear, and the Plaza Inn.

Here's another list - Orange County, California | VegGuide.Org

It includes such popular eateries as Native Foods Cafe - Native Foods Vegan Restaurants: Organic, Healthy, Delicious Food!, The Wheel of Life - The Wheel of Life Restaurant, and the Bodhi Tree - Bodhi Tree Vegetarian Cafe - Huntington Beach

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeganPrincess View Post
    DCA:
    - Veggie chili at Pacific Wharf
    - Veggie tacos at Cocina Cucamonga

Nothing too exciting, but you won't starve!
    You can also get tofu as your protein at the Chinese place, too.
    A signature should go here.

I'm a pescatarian, in that I eat fish every once in a while, but basically only eat vegetarian dishes at the Disneyland resort, and both DL and DCA have options. DCA has the whole food court bay themed area with vegetarian options at each place.

• Established 2005

I just noticed the new Hungry Bear menu, and they have a new Fried Green Tomato sandwich, which comes with sweet potato fries. Sounds great. . .and an interesting Vegetarian option!

Edit: Tried this new option yesterday evening. . .it's delicious! A great option for vegetarians. As a side note, you can apparently swap either the sweet potato fries or the zesty slaw side for onion rings for no charge. Just ask!

Last edited by ErikInTheCity; 06-18-2011 at 07:52 PM.