Thumbs down Disappointed in Steakhouse 55

We ate at Steakhouse 55 on Saturday. We were seated at 5:45 and there were few other diners at that time. I followed my waiter’s suggestion and ordered the Bone-in Rib Eye with the Signature “Steakhouse 55” Rub for $36. I ordered it medium rare and it came medium well. When I showed my waiter, he asked me to cut into the middle of the steak. Really? OK – I cut right through the middle and it was no different. The light in the room was very low, so I had to use the flashlight app on my IPhone to prove this to the waiter – which should not have been necessary IMO.

The second steak was better, still not medium rare – more like a true medium. I don’t mind spending $$$ on a good steak, but I really expect it to be done right at a place that bills itself as a good steakhouse. The truth is - I get a better steak at Outback.

This was our first visit, and we will not be going back.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Disappointed in Steakhouse 55

Sorry you had such a disappointing experience. In my visits to Steakhouse 55, I've never been disappointed.

The waiter asking you to cut into your steak is not acceptable. They should have taken it back no questions asked.

I'd suggest trying them for Breakfast sometime though. Truly the best breakfast on site.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Sorry you had a bd experience too! There is no excuse for a steakhouse to mess up a medium rare steak and then to second guess it and then to not deliver it as promised. That's a chef that's not paying attention to his meat.

I've been 3 or 4 times and never had an issue with mine.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Elk Grove Chris

I would have asked for the manager after being questioned by the food server, bad form indeed.

I have eaten there about half a dozen times, only once did I order a steak, it was spot on though. Agree with Sir Clinksalot, the breakfast is not to missed. Never had bad service or a bad meal there, hope you go back and give them another shot.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I've eaten at Steakhouse 55 many times in the past and have always been quite pleased with it.

However, after the 2nd time they sent the steak out cooked incorrectly, I'd have asked for a manager. When you let them know they are making mistakes, you are actually doing them a favor.

Sorry the experience wasn't up to standard on your visit. At those prices, it should be as near perfect every time.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Well it sounds like my experience was unique – bummer for me! Unfortunately at those prices, it will be a while before I try it again. I have lots of other restaurants to try first! I think the next one will be Ralph Brennan’s. And I haven’t tried Napa Rose yet either.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
    Well it sounds like my experience was unique – bummer for me! Unfortunately at those prices, it will be a while before I try it again. I have lots of other restaurants to try first! I think the next one will be Ralph Brennan’s. And I haven’t tried Napa Rose yet either.

Hehe well... those other restaurants you listed are pretty pricey as well! Especially Napa Rose.

As far as Steak houses go, Steakhouse55 is actually quite comparable to many high-end steak places. It's not the best but it's comparable. For the best steak in the southland, I prefer (wolfgang puck's) CUT or MASTRO'S.

Napa Rose is always excellent, haven't had a bad meal there yet. The Jazz Kitchen has let me down more than once, I'm not a fan in the least.

Steakhouse 55 is okay for dinner, but for breakfast it is great! (really!?! the server asked you to cut into the middle?!?! and you didn't laugh?)

Going to Cut or Mastro's is great (Mastro's is better in my opinion). . . but not if you plan on spending time at Disneyland. Afterall they are in a different city/zip/area code.

For me the best steaks are at Peter Luger's in NY and St. Elmo's in Indy. . . Buffalo Chophouse is pretty good too, but I digress.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    For me the best steaks are at Peter Luger's in NY and St. Elmo's in Indy. . . Buffalo Chophouse is pretty good too, but I digress.
    I was not impressed with Peter Luger for being NY's best 25 years in a row. And cash only? For a steak dinner? What a joke for a place with such lousy service.

• Sock Puppet

Not a steak fan mysself, i was not impressed once with SH 55 and i havn't gone back. but i will agree Napa has not disappointed me yet.

Most of the time when a waiter/waitress asks you to cut into the steak they do it when they bring it over the first time to make sure its correct to your liking. He didnt do this, no biggie. He then asked you to cut in the middle because most people will cut at the edge, thats thinner and tends to cook quicker then the center. This is certainly common practice in most places that serve steak, but Ive noticed since being in CA a lot of places do not do this.

Being a former cook this was certainly common practice at most places ive been.
    And make sure to try the hot chocolate at the napa rose

• Banned User

This situation *may* have been the waiter 2nd guessing you, but it also could have just been him double-checking how the meat was cooked. People do have somewhat different opinions on what constitutes "rare", "medium" etc. and he would need to check before he could bring it back to the chef and tell him what to do with it.

That said, messing up twice is an honest if still unacceptable mistake. All my trips to SH55 have been great with great service, although I do think they have a reputation for overcooking things for some reason (aka order rare if you want medium-rare). I wouldn't discount the place completely over this.