• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How to Eat Vegetarian at Disneyland and California Adventure

In a recent post over at the Disney Blogs, one writer points out some of the best vegetarian options at the park.
    For breakfast, they suggest heading over to Ariel's Grotto in Disney California Adventure, where they serve a tofu scramble made with sautéed seasonal veggies an an optional vegetarian sausage patty. The huevos rancheros at Carnation Café or the fluffy California omelet with diced plum tomatoes, fresh basil and baby spinach from Storytellers inside Disneyland are also a rec, given of course that said vegetarians are into eating eggs. (That's a grey area for some. And definitely a no-no for vegans.) There's no talk of beignets for brekkie at Cafe Oreans in the post, but boy-oh-boy, we can tell you that they do make a mean one. But just be careful for the impending sugar crash afterwards.

When it comes to small bites and snacks, an oh-so-Angeleno chile lime corn on the cob at Edelweiss Snacks in Disneyland park -- which is tossed in lime juice, chili powder, cayenne and cumin -- could tide a vego over. There's also a Portobello Philly dog at Award Wieners at Disney California Adventure park with grilled portobellos mushrooms and onion and bell peppers sautéed in hefeweizen and topped with pepper jack cheese.

Other suggestions include the veggie-tater bake at Flo’s V-8 Cafe at California Adventure, corn chowder in a bread bowl at the French Market Restaurant or a fried green tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear Restaurant in Disneyland.
    How to Eat Vegetarian at Disneyland and California Adventure: LAist

Re: How to Eat Vegetarian at Disneyland and California Adventure

I did not know about the Portabello Philly at Award Wieners. Thank you,thank you, oh thank you
    " Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed"
    G.K Chesterson

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Let us know if it's any good!

• is poppin' tags

Is it a secret option? I am soooo interested in the meatless version!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

They have a picture of it posted on the Disney Blog. It must be on the menu somewhere.
    " Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed"
    G.K Chesterson

• DLR Cast Member

Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue is a good option. All of the sides are vegetarian, and as a replacement for the meats they have vegetarian skewers with tofu, red potatoes, one or two kinds of squash, bell pepper, onions, mushrooms - all with barbecue seasonings. Very tasty! (Disclaimer- I work there, but I have frequently shared the veggie option with meatless friends, and it is tasty!).

• Fun times

My familiy is vegetarian and have spent a considerable amount of time in the parks over the last 3 years. In my opinon, DCA is a significantly better option for vegetarian food. Flo's has vegetarian options for both breakfast and the regular menu, including the mashed potato bake. Cozy Cones has a great option for breakfast, a baked cone filed with eggs, chilis, and cheese. Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta has a great selection of items, including salads.

In Disneyland, do not miss the vegetarian gumbo or the vegetarian chili, both of which come in bread bowls. The gumbo can be found at the Royal Street Veranda and the chili is sold at the Harbor Galley. If you want breakfast, all locations have vegetarian options, if you exclude the meats.

As for the Portabello Philly, I was not impressed. It should have been cooked more. If they vegetables had been at all carmelized it would have been significantly better.

Thanks for the tip about Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, we always skip it assuming there are no vegetarian options. We will have to give it a try on our next trip.

I'd be glad to answer any questions about vegetarian options.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by brem View Post
    My familiy is vegetarian and have spent a considerable amount of time in the parks over the last 3 years. In my opinon, DCA is a significantly better option for vegetarian food. Flo's has vegetarian options for both breakfast and the regular menu, including the mashed potato bake. Cozy Cones has a great option for breakfast, a baked cone filed with eggs, chilis, and cheese. Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta has a great selection of items, including salads.

In Disneyland, do not miss the vegetarian gumbo or the vegetarian chili, both of which come in bread bowls. The gumbo can be found at the Royal Street Veranda and the chili is sold at the Harbor Galley. If you want breakfast, all locations have vegetarian options, if you exclude the meats.

As for the Portabello Philly, I was not impressed. It should have been cooked more. If they vegetables had been at all carmelized it would have been significantly better.

Thanks for the tip about Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, we always skip it assuming there are no vegetarian options. We will have to give it a try on our next trip.

I'd be glad to answer any questions about vegetarian options.
    Mah genuwine pleasure

Could someone please give some info on vegan options? I am a vegetarian but I have a terrible dairy allergy--so no dairy in baked bread, even. That rules out some of the veggie burgers, etc, because I don't know what's in the buns. I hate to ask about every ingredient when I get to the counter or menu because it seems like such a hassle for everybody. Anybody have any good tips? I always go to the Blue Bayou every time because of the portobello entree, which is vegan. :-) Thanks!

First let me say I am not a vegan, so if someone tells you differently disregard this, but I have been told that the Sourdough at Boudin is vegan, so the bread bowls at both parks are O.K. The Veggie Gumbo at the Royal Street Veranda is my favorite.
    G.K Chesterson

I am a dedicated carnivore but love the Bengal BBQ veggie skewer..
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Regarding the Portobello "dog": I was asked at Award Wiener's if I knew that it didn't have mean. Duh! I'm vegetarian, that's why I ordered it! I guess some guests thought it had a hunk of meat. LOL

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyeF View Post
    Could someone please give some info on vegan options? I am a vegetarian but I have a terrible dairy allergy--so no dairy in baked bread, even. That rules out some of the veggie burgers, etc, because I don't know what's in the buns. I hate to ask about every ingredient when I get to the counter or menu because it seems like such a hassle for everybody. Anybody have any good tips? I always go to the Blue Bayou every time because of the portobello entree, which is vegan. :-) Thanks!
    If you stick with the sides and the vegetarian skewers at Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, they are Vegan - except for the cornbread, which does contain cheese (dunno, but there are gluten free rolls available as a substitute for the cornbread and they are probably ok - I haven't asked the chef) and at dinner the corn is poached in milk and butter - they can do corn without the milk and butter if you let them know. Always ask to speak to the chef. Always!