Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In defense of Captain Kidd's Restaurant

Captain Kidd's seems to be always belittled and derided on Disney boards, doesn't it?

Well, we've had nothing but great experiences there (for breakfast only). In fact, they are a big reason we choose the Best Western Park Place Inn whenever we go to Disneyland--the BWPPI gives free vouchers for free pancake breakfasts there, which, with 4 kids, is a huge savings.

We head there every morning, pay only for coffee for us parents (we bring in juice boxes for the kids), sometimes a side of bacon too, and are welcomed with quick friendly service (quick being the operative word because we are always eager to get to the front gate 1/2 hour before opening) and a HUGE serving of pancakes. With whipped cream and strawberries which my kids LOVE. For the younger kids, they can get Mickey Mouse shaped ones too.

They also have fun trivia placemats for the kids to fill out while they wait for their pancakes.

We are stuffed and out in a flash, ready to hit Disneyland with no need for any food breaks until way past lunchtime. Pancakes fill my kids up like no cereal/toast/Continental breakfast can.

Once I threw away something important there accidently (Ridemax schedule? Toontown vouchers?) and the staff kindly rummaged though the garbage until it was found.

Anyway, Captain Kidd's is an important part of our Disneyland morning strategizing, and I just felt compelled to give them some praise!

• DL Nerd

Re: In defense of Captain Kidd's Restaurant

I ate there last week and I didn't know ANYTHING about it before I went in The service was OK...

The food was tolerable, but not great.. I was absolutely starving though. My only REAL complaint is the Red lights on the buffet... "I'll get some Potatoes.... then later "Where did this meat loaf come from" (j/k)

I didn't use the restroom though so I can't comment on that part of it.

overall ... not bad... not great either.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Rather Be At Disneyland

I ate there once for dinner with a few friends. The service was terrible! We were seated and had our drink orders taken. Then our server showed up with our drinks, and another server. He told he was going on break and that this girl would help us with anything we need. Ok, that's fine. So we ordered, 2 of us got the buffet while the other 2 ordered from the menu. We never saw that waitress again, she never showed up again to refill our drinks or see how we were doing untilit was time to drop off the check. The food was mediocre at best and the buffet was not well stocked. I had to pretty much fill up on mashed potatoes because there wasn't much to choose from. Just taught us to never eat there again.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Captain Kidd's seems to be always belittled and derided on Disney boards, doesn't it?
    It does? I haven't noticed it here on MC, maybe other boards?

Anyway, most often we stay at the Best Western that is attached to CK's when we are down there at the resort. It is economica and gives a nice hotel room that serves the purpose we use it for, to sleep in.

CK's is a good enough place to have a quick and addequet meal before starting our day at the parks/resort, so no complaints from me. Is the food the greatest ever? No. It is good enough to eat though!

I stayed at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel with a couple of friends, and we had no car. We didn't know where to eat, and we were starving, so we went to Captain Kidd's without any prior knowledge of the place. We were seated, and the waitress took our drink order. She came back with our drinks literally like 10 minutes later with a less than friendly look on her face. Well, we ordered just 2 appetizers, the mozzarella sticks and super nachos, and she came out with them half an hour later, and like DisneyRoyalty said, we never saw her again until she had to drop off the check. Since most had a good experience, my guess is that it's only this particular waitress... Though she had no reason to be glum. It was a Friday afternoon, and the restaurant was nowhere near busy.

• MC State Comptroller

Love, love love the above sig pic!!!! How true. Poor red shirt!

Anywho, i've only been there once and we ended up not going cause of the prices. It seemed a little Disney price for taco bell quality and there was a IHOP next door and happy face pancakes so we went there. But i have heard bad things.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Anytime you eat at a buffet you are just asking for bad food, service and experience.

Sizzler, Shakey's bunch a lunch, Chinese buffets will fill your belly. Hopefully it won't suddenly empty within the next couple of hours.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I admit we have only ever eaten there in morning beofre going into the resort. Perhaps the night crew are chowder heads?

We have never had any problems like the ones mentioned above during the breakfast period.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's easy to put on a breakfast buffet. Not too many items, should be fresh since it should only be out there no more than 5 hours.

But alas, some can even screw up a breakfast buffet.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    It's easy to put on a breakfast buffet. Not too many items, should be fresh since it should only be out there no more than 5 hours.

I agree, I just haven't seen CK's do it...yet.

We occasionally hit good ol' IHOP when it isn't too crowded.

• DCA lover

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post

mmmm......breakfast buffet....

Yeah, we went to Captain Kidd's once. It was enough. The buffet had a decent amount of items, but umm, they weren't all that. The food was very mediocre and some of it bad, and just thinking about the red lamps and the old food turns me off. OH yes I remember, the ribs were ALL FAT, yeah really gross. There was one item, orange chicken maybe, that was ok, the rest I would steer clear. I don't have any of the other complaints people are talking about, and I enjoyed the trivia, but the FOOD,

• Man O Lantern

When we stayed at Park Place Inn, we opted to go upstairs for the complementary continental breakfast and it was really good. Juice, bagels, english muffins, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fresh fruit, yogurt. Very filling. We grabbed granola bars and fruit for a snack later.

Another visit we made the mistake of going there for dinner. We were tired from traveling earlier in the day, Disneyland closed early for a special event, and we used poor judgment. Should have gone to DtD. IHOP had a huge line (that was where we were headed in the first place).

We ordered the buffet and it was disgusting. Flies everywhere, waitresses that never filled our drink order, something happened to one of the meat dishes, so it never made it out. We actually didn't have to pay--so I've never villified them too much. We left and ate at one of the places on the way to HoJo.

• no flash photography...

I've walked by it many times, but there is something about it that makes me not want to actually go in and eat there.

• Banned User

been there 3 times, every time sucked. the first dinner was ok, we were starving and the kids were fussy. it sucked to me, but they got filled. the service is bad, the food is sub par.

• Shablagoo!

I would never go there for a meal. However, I usually stay at the Park Place Inn and Mini-Suites next door and get the free food coupons. Sometimes I will stop in a grab a quick donut before heading over to wait for the gates to open at DL. If it was not for the free coupons I would never even enter there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast