Grand China Restaurant
3770 Ming Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93309
(661)831-6300
Open Tuesday through Sunday. Closed Mondays.
Hours vary. Always closed midday from 2:30-4:30.

Grand China is the best Chinese Restaurant in Bakersfield. The place is small, with very dated decor, but serves up some wonderful Chinese.

My favorite is the Chicken in Orange Sauce, which unlike other Chinese restaurants isn't large chunks of chicken, but small pieces, twice-fried, and covered in the most delicious orange sauce I've ever tasted. Other favorites include the kung pao chicken, moo goo gai pan, and the pork lo mein.

The best time to visit is during lunch. Grand China offers incredibly affordable lunch specials - ranging from $5.50-6.95, and you get a cup of the most delicious homemade hot and sour soup, a small Chinese chicken salad to start. Your main meal is served with a serving of steamed or fried rice, a fried cheese wonton, an eggroll, all on a plate and your entree is served family style.

The servings are big, and I always go home with leftovers.

In the evening, the restaurant offers an "early bird" dinner special until 5:30 or 6, similar to the lunch special, but with fewer entree options, and instead of the wonton and salad you get fried shrimp. The fried shrimp are unique here - as instead of being fried in panko batter or the typical big, puffy batter, the shrimp are unrolled flat and have eggroll wrappers wrapped around them and are fried. It sounds weird, but its delicious.

Regular dinner hour options include family-style meals, or individual dinners ranging from $8-11 per person.

If there's one thing you must try at this restaurant though, is the home made hot and sour soup I mentioned earlier. It's absolutely wonderful and I often get cravings just for the soup. It's slightly spicy, filled with wood-ear mushrooms and standard button mushrooms, pieces of pork meat, and tofu. Luckily, the soup is served with all combination specials, so you'll likely get it anyway.

So if you're around Bakersfield or Kern County for any reason, stop by Grand China. You'll love it.