Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Po' Folks

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Re: Po' Folks

Po'Folks is a great restaurant. I think their fried chicken is on par with or better than Knott's.

Also, a good southern-themed restaurant is Johnny Reb's. There's one in Bellflower and in Orange. Great food at great prices.

Both restaurants are on my list of favorites.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• Is it summer yet???

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    Po'Folks is a great restaurant. I think their fried chicken is on par with or better than Knott's.

Also, a good southern-themed restaurant is Johnny Reb's. There's one in Bellflower and in Orange. Great food at great prices.

Both restaurants are on my list of favorites.
    There's also a Johnny Reb's in Victorville (go figure). It's in an out of the way and not so great part of town. I've never been there. Actually, I'm surprised that it stays in business and/or hasn't moved closer to the I15 (restaurant row area).
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

• Minion

Blog Entries

OMG I love Po' Folks... I used to live in Georgia and we went there atleast once a week. I wish I had known sooner there was one out here... I have been craving a peach muffin for about a month now... OMG I totally have to go there soon... I don't care if its out of the way for me... Oh how I miss the sweet taste of a yummy peach muffin...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Huh?

Wow. I had no idea there were any still open! There was one in Columbus, but it closed down in the mid-80s. I can't even really remember what the food was like, really, but we ate there all the time until they closed...
    -Tim

• Minion

Blog Entries

I remember in the mid 90s when all the Po' Folks in the south east had to change their name to 'Foks because they thought the name was offensive...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Former Churro Jockey

I ate there once like 15 years ago and got sick, so I've never been back. If you're inside Knott's then Johnny Rocket's is the best if it's not too crowded, otherwise TGI Friday's or Claim Jumper are even better!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Here is my little experience at that restaurant.

We were waiting outside the restaurant when about 6 cop cars stopped right in front of the restaurant. The man they were chasing came out of the car with a gun pointed at a child he was holding. The cops told us all to duck down. I ducked under a bench. It was one of the craziest moments of my life. But the food is wonderful.
    Jeff Wayne

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Had dinner last night at Po' Folks, had the Famous Combo, and the ribs were AWESOME, the chicken and Chicken Fried Steak were also great!!!

But the ribs, something you would expect to spend 3 times the amount on, and it was just "part" of the combo..... Can't go wrong at this place!!!!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

For years I have passed this place up..maybe it's time to give it a try.
    I love the smell of burnt coffee in the morning. ..

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I love Po Folks because it's the only place I know of (in my orbit) that sells black eyed peas... and they're delicious! We used to have one in San Diego, but it's long gone now. Is there one near Disneyland, or just Knotts?

Yes locals eat there. We live close enough to walk. Breakfasts are the best.

• "I Break Things"

While in college I worked at Disney and had an AP to Knotts... couple friends worked at Knotts and had Disney AP's. When we skipped class we usually had breakfast at Po Folks. Now, years later, I enjoy taking my kids to Po Folks... and the "kids meal" even has HUGE portions! When you order, order small, because they come at you with a lot of food.

For anyone in the Oceanside/SD area that likes Mexican food I would also have to recommend Colima's... they have one by the pier in Oceanside and one outside the gates of Miramar Air Base. Same story, virtual hole-in-the-wall that you would drive right past but great food and really cheap prices.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

WOW!!! That brings back memories. More then ten years ago Po'Folks changed its name to Folks before the 1996 Olympics (out here where the chain was based). I think the Po'Folks you are talking about is one of the restaurants that did not change the name and split off from the chain that is now Folks Southern Kitchen. Southern comfort food at its finest and best! My favorite restaurant. I used to go there every birthday when I was a kid. Every place has their own goofy Birthday song and they sang to me a Birthday song to the tune of "Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah." Their Mississippi Mudd Pie was heaven on pie crust! Mmmmm. My mouth is watering just thinking about it all! LOL

Got a question...a dumb one...but a question nonetheless...Since this is Southern Comfort food...do they go all the way and offer Sweet Tea?
    Last edited by BDBopper; 03-09-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Minion

Blog Entries

yes they offer sweet tea... most people don't order it though...

• "I Break Things"

My little ones always have a hard time eating there because they are always patiently waiting for the model train to make it's rounds. They're 5,4, and 2.5 and there is always a tremendous cheer when they see it. The food portions are HUGE, even for the kid's meals... they try to finish but never quite make it.

I also love the peg game they leave on the table.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast