Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eat near to the Hotel Menage?

Hi guys,
    I have just booked 2 weeks in L.A with my 2 kids (10 and 15) and we are staying at the Menage.

The last time I visited Disney was about 18 years ago and to be honest I cant remember what was around the park area. We are planning day trips into L.A, San Diego etc so wont be around the hotel too much other than to sleep.

Can anyone tell me what there is within walking distance of the Menage to eat? I'm from the UK but I adore your pancakes and diners so I'm looking for cheap and cheerful rather than fancy restaurant.

thanks all
    Jane
    x

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: Eat near to the Hotel Menage?

Here is a link to a map that shows some of the area restaurants. Have a great trip.

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/D...ndLinkMap.html

For cheap and cheerful can't go wrong with denny's or Ihop.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

Cool Re: Eat near to the Hotel Menage?

There are a lot of places to eat by Hotel Menage. I stayed there recently, good hotel. Denny's ihop (great for pancakes!). Hotel Menage has a great (reasonable) breakfast menu (from $7 to $10)... I had their Orange French Toast and was good! Hope that helps! Have fun at the happiest place on earth!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Mimi's is right over the freeway as well, and they've got everything on their menu . Mmmm, Mimi's.
    A signature should go here.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Second Mimi's!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Guys, thank you! That map is fabulous. I think I'll print that out

I've heard good and bad reviews of the Menage, but to be honest I wanted somewhere without very small kids because mine are older, and the freeway noise is something I'm looking forward to lol Where I live in the UK its a fairly quiet street, and I love to be in the city and actually hear the city if that makes sense.

And Mimi's looks goooood!!!!!
    Thanks again
    x

Bear in mind that only Mimi's is within short walking distance from the hotel. Of course there are places across the street from DL on Harbor (Denny's, IHOP, Tony Roma's, McDonalds, Quiznos (a sandwich chain) and a few more as you walk down to Katella. Avoid Captain Kidds at the crosswalk. Around the corner on Katella is the GardenWalk (not on the map but near the La Quinta Inn on Katella) with a few places as well. There are more places further south on Harbor and you can get to them on the ART busses.

North of you is a Carrows, basically a Denny's/IHOP kind of place.

• :)

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    Bear in mind that only Mimi's is within short walking distance from the hotel. Of course there are places across the street from DL on Harbor (Denny's, IHOP, Tony Roma's, McDonalds, Quiznos (a sandwich chain) and a few more as you walk down to Katella. Avoid Captain Kidds at the crosswalk. Around the corner on Katella is the GardenWalk (not on the map but near the La Quinta Inn on Katella) with a few places as well. There are more places further south on Harbor and you can get to them on the ART busses.

North of you is a Carrows, basically a Denny's/IHOP kind of place.
    The garden walk is the newest (not on the map) but the resturaunts are more "High End" (compared to McDonalds or Mimi's)

California Pizza Kitchen
    Cheesecake Factory
    Bubba Gumps

• Thanks, Ollie

If you walked south on Ball, there's a Benihana's and an El Torito. Also at the GardenWalk(on Katella) there is a Roy's Hawaiian Fusion, PF Chang, and McCormick and Scmidt's.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Remember folks, she said "Cheap and Cheerful" - PF Chang, Benihana, Bubba Gump, McCormic and Schmick and Roy's Hawaiian Fusion are way out of that league...

Mimi's Cafe' is mid-price, not 'cheap', but worth it - they get a bit more adventurous with the menu. Coco's, Carrows, IHOP and Denny's are "lower mid-price" but a step down. All of the above are major chains.

For lunch or dinner, one that isn't on Bret's map above is Taco Bell, right across Harbor to the east. "Americanized" Mexican fast food chain - meaning it's safe to drink the water. (Some locations are doing breakfast items, but not all. And it's all based around burritos.) It's good, but meant more as 'body fuel', not an experience worth intercontinental airfare.

Trick is, if you want to travel a bit away from the Parks (hike, bike, a rented car, take a bus or have a local friend to drive) you can save a LOT - the Denny's across from the main gate is the same food as any other store in the chain - but their prices are about 20% higher than ones a mile or two away in any direction. (Part of that is the higher rent for the prime location, but that can't be all of it.) They are betting on the captive audience, same as Disneyland does once you are inside.

More later.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Remember folks, she said "Cheap and Cheerful" - PF Chang, Benihana, Bubba Gump, McCormic and Schmick and Roy's Hawaiian Fusion are way out of that league...
    True, but by UK standards most of the above are "inexpensive".

Well, if you want cheap and cheerful breakfast, you want to head to the Original Pancake House. A bit of a drive, yes (maybe 5-10 minutes?), and you might have to wait a bit at the weekend, but they have FANTASTIC food. (But absolutely horrible coffee... go figure!)

It's on Lincoln Ave. between East St. and State College Blvd, perhaps 3 miles from the formerly-a-Holiday-Inn Hotel Menage.

Another place for breakfast is Gustav Anders' Jagerhaus, on Ball Road at the 57 freeway, maybe two miles from the hotel. It's a German restaurant but delicious breakfast.

As for cheap and cheerful, well, not very far away at all is Little Saigon, where you can have dirt cheap Vietnamese food for a song. Picture a nice bowl of rice noodles with grilled catfish and herbs and a savoury sauce. Now picture it for 4 ($8) at Vien Dong on Brookhurst and 13th in Garden Grove. Or a 10-inch baguette sandwich with Vietnamese cold cuts, pickled vegetables, cilantro and peppers... for 88p ($1.75) at Banh Mi Cho Cu or Banh Mi Che Cali.

The nicest restaurant in Little Saigon (and the most "non-Vietnamese" friendly) is Xanh Bistro on Brookhurst Street. Menus are in English, it's linen serviettes and the food is great -- and the most expensive thing on the menu is 9 ($18).

If you've got kids you may like J.T. Schmid's for American food, on Katella directly across from the Arrowhead Pond (Honda Centre, whatever).

And if you follow the Cast Members, you'll end up at Marri's Italian, on Katella and Walnut, for good Italian-American food, the main dishes at which are mostly in the 6-10 range, or at Carolina's on Chapman and West in Garden Grove, for ditto but cheaper.

I don't imagine you have much in the way of good Mexican food in the rural UK, so you might want to try Los Mochis, a Mexican seafood restaurant on State College Boulevard near Santa Ana St. It's very good, not terribly spicy, they have a mariachi band some nights, and it's cheap -- an order of ceviche tostadas is 2.50 ($5).

If your kids are more into tacos, there's a taco setup every evening at El Farolito Jr. on East St. and the 91 freeway in Anaheim. I believe the tacos are 60p per ($1.20 per) but I could be wrong. Figure two or three tacos for an adult and four or five for an adolescent.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    True, but by UK standards most of the above are "inexpensive".
    Well, with the exchange rates the way the are...

The post right above should sort that out - I consider $6 per person for Fast Food or $12 per person for sit-down and table service dinner 'inexpensive', and $25 per person for dinner getting into the 'expensive' realm.

And if you go to Bubba Gump's and hit the shrimp hard, Napa Rose or Tony Roma's and get Prime Rib or a big steak (plus appetizers and dessert) you can easily break through the $50 per person barrier. Add a bottle of good wine...

But if you are used to paying $25 for simple peasant fare at home, it's a veritable banquet for almost nothing... All depends on your point of view.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Well, with the exchange rates the way the are...
    True, but even back when it was "only" $1.60 to a Pound I found UK prices to be as they say over there "very dear".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast