• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

How bad is I-5 on and average Sunday afternoon?

How bad is North bound I-5 (from San Diego) on and average Sunday afternoon? My next trip to DLR is 9/7 and I need to start figuring out what route were are going to take.

Thanks!
    Kenny
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

Re: How bad is I-5 on and average Sunday afternoon?

anyone there?

:crickets:

• Rock Star Minion

Sorry, I didn't see your thread.
    Hmm, could be bad. Maybe not.

How's that?

I suggest checking sigalert.com, Orange County view, right before you leave. And hope nothing changes in the next hour and a half.
    I don't think going 15 (or more?) miles out of your way taking The 15 to The 91 will be that much faster, unless there is a MAJOR NON-ROUTINE traffic jam that day.
    Smooth sailing after the agriculture check station.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If you know ahead of time that the 5 is backed up and you are before the El Toro Y, you can take the 405 north to the 55 north to the 5 north. If you find out that the 5 north is back up even past the 55/5 interchange, you can also take the 405 north, exit Harbor Blvd. and proceed north on Harbor for about 10 miles.

If you have money to spare, you can take the 73 toll road north to Laguna Canyon Rd, go north on Laguna Canyon Rd until it turns into Hwy 133, and then go on the 5 north. Or you can take the 73 toll road north to the 55 north to the 5 north. Or you can take the 73 north to the 405 north, and then take the Harbor Blvd. exit off of the 405.

There are various ways to get there. There is not likely to be traffic unless there is an accident or they are doing construction though.

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

great, thanks for the responses...

I'm coming from Tucson, AZ...The most common way is to go up thru Phoenix, and take the 10 west into the LA area.

My fiance and I like going thru the San Diego area and then shooting up the coast. Its a great drive in the 'stang and the 5 is pretty much a straight shot into Anaheim.

I figure the latter of the two options is the most fail safe...you still agree?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I live north of the Y so I don't know how traffic will be south of that. I do know that if there is an accident on the Camp Pendleton portion of I5 it could be quite a problem as there are no exits between the base and San Clemente. (Or if there are exits it doesn't do any good since you can't bypass any traffic in this area). Also, if the secondary border inspection station is open in this area, that could slow things down a bit too.

Other than that it should be pretty clear, provided there is no accidents or construction going on.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by blondiethesounds View Post
    great, thanks for the responses...

I'm coming from Tucson, AZ...The most common way is to go up thru Phoenix, and take the 10 west into the LA area.

My fiance and I like going thru the San Diego area and then shooting up the coast. Its a great drive in the 'stang and the 5 is pretty much a straight shot into Anaheim.

I figure the latter of the two options is the most fail safe...you still agree?
    I disagree.
    The former has more options once you get into the greater SoCal area (like, just past Palm Springs). Downside is that you have to be able to understand the rapid-talk of the traffic reporters on the radio. I recommend having someone near an internet-connected PC available to call for traffic updates from sigalert.com.

The latter gets you to the coast for a nice ride. It's a toss-up, IMO.

This Sunday, the Chargers are playing at home at 1PM at the intersection of The 8 and The 15. You are hereby forewarned. Traffic there will be bad from 10AM until about 1:30PM, then OK until about 4PM, and suck until about 7PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    This Sunday, the Chargers are playing at home at 1PM at the intersection of The 8 and The 15. You are hereby forewarned. Traffic there will be bad from 10AM until about 1:30PM, then OK until about 4PM, and suck until about 7PM.
    Ah....great call. I had thought about that, but totally forgot to check their schedule.

Looks like ill be avoiding the 8/15 interchange. Thanks for the heads up.