• That Guy

Question What to do with a free Saturday??

Hi everyone!

So I am getting ready to take my nieces and nephew to CA, we're doing DLR for two days, but this Saturday we have the whole day free.

Any ideas on what to do with the day? The beach could take a few hours, but is there anything cool going on we should do?

The kids are 4, 9, 14 and love doing anything. I don't know if there are any fall things to do, etc.

Thanks!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: What to do with a free Saturday??

You could take them to Hollywood Kodak theater and the Disney soda fountain or El Capitan. Its all within walking distance of each other.

The El Capitan Theatre -- The Official Home Page

•   
    • Senior Minion

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Glad you are coming up Max! The beach isn't far from Disneyland, certainly not 2 hours. Seeing you are from Arizona, I'd go there. It would probably be a special treat for the kids. The Mountains aren't far either, Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear would be a fun outing a well.

Have a great time!

• That Guy

Thanks guys, these are great ideas!

We will make it an action packed day. I think the beach is a must sea! (get it, get it? sorry)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think the last time you came here you went to Little Corona Beach and loved it.

If you have kids with you this time, I highly recommend you take them to the Balboa Fun Zone, which is located near the Balboa Pier located in the area of Newport Beach known as the Balboa Peninsula. It's only a little over 20 minutes away from the DLR.

Keep in mind that the weather might be warm right now, but the water temps are cooler right now than in the summer, and a wet suit may even be required. The least the kids could do is get their feet wet. But the Fun Zone also has a ferris wheel, a carousel, an arcade, a car and passenger ferry, and the Newport Harbor Nautical Museum (which also has a touch tank for the kids). There is a Ruby's Diner (the first one in the chain) at the end of the Balboa Pier. You can also take a narrated cruise of Newport Harbor which showcases various movie star's homes and takes you out into the ocean to see sea lions and dolphins.

And then when you are done Fashion Island is closeby for dinner or shopping, or just looking around.

Whatever you decide to do, it sounds like your trip is going to be a blast!

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I think the last time you came here you went to Little Corona Beach and loved it.

If you have kids with you this time, I highly recommend you take them to the Balboa Fun Zone, which is located near the Balboa Pier located in the area of Newport Beach known as the Balboa Peninsula. It's only a little over 20 minutes away from the DLR.

Keep in mind that the weather might be warm right now, but the water temps are cooler right now than in the summer, and a wet suit may even be required. The least the kids could do is get their feet wet. But the Fun Zone also has a ferris wheel, a carousel, an arcade, a car and passenger ferry, and the Newport Harbor Nautical Museum (which also has a touch tank for the kids). There is a Ruby's Diner (the first one in the chain) at the end of the Balboa Pier. You can also take a narrated cruise of Newport Harbor which showcases various movie star's homes and takes you out into the ocean to see sea lions and dolphins.

And then when you are done Fashion Island is closeby for dinner or shopping, or just looking around.

Whatever you decide to do, it sounds like your trip is going to be a blast!

Thanks SO much!

You are 100% correct, I LOVED That beach!!!! You gave me the best tip, and I looked like a hero when I got to that beach, I owe you!

Do you reccomend skipping Little Corona, and doing the other beach? Is it anticlimatic to go from DLR, to these rides? I think in a way it would be nice due to the change of pace and scenery.

Is the Balboa fun zone attached to the beach, or would it be two seperate trips? Do beaches get crowded in the off season? I am thinking only weirdo Zonies like us drive to the beach just to look at it, since we are weenies about cold water...

Thanks!!!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Newport beach is always my favorite. Balboa fun zone is right across the street from the beach, easy walk.

• Oo-de-lally

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Newport beach is always my favorite. Balboa fun zone is right across the street from the beach, easy walk.
    I love that place.

You could also take them to the Santa Monica pier. They have an arcade, some rides, carnival style games where you can win prizes, food, etc.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Rock Star Minion

The aquarium in Long Beach.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

As coincidence would have it, DIP Jr and I went to the Fun Zone a couple weeks ago. Here is a picture of the Fun Zone. The beach is only a minute walk on the other side of the ferris wheel. The boat with the cars on it is the ferry that takes you there.

Here is a picture taken from the Balboa Pier, facing out onto the peninsula, with the rest of Newport Beach behind it. (My house is toward the top of that hill, by the way.)

While on the pier, the fishermen were throwing their bait and the guts from their catch (gross) into the water which attracted this little guy...

It is a lot of fun, and is not something that will take you all day. A good way to relax from running around the DLR all day long.

• Goofy

oh man I haven't been to balboa pier since my 6 grade beach field trip.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    As coincidence would have it, DIP Jr and I went to the Fun Zone a couple weeks ago. Here is a picture of the Fun Zone. The beach is only a minute walk on the other side of the ferris wheel. The boat with the cars on it is the ferry that takes you there.

Here is a picture taken from the Balboa Pier, facing out onto the peninsula, with the rest of Newport Beach behind it. (My house is toward the top of that hill, by the way.)

While on the pier, the fishermen were throwing their bait and the guts from their catch (gross) into the water which attracted this little guy...

It is a lot of fun, and is not something that will take you all day. A good way to relax from running around the DLR all day long.

yikes. I hope there weren't any sharks there while the seal is roaming there.

• Super Genius

Ventura, California; 96 miles (154Km) from Disneyland

I was in adventure club whos slogan was "what did YOU do last weekend?"
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.