• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Just how insidious and widespread are "resort fees"?

I'm starting to notice a lot of hotels will quote you a rate, sans tax (which is normal practice in the US it seems) but then also mention in the fine print a nightly "resort fee" which they'll tack onto your bill upon leaving.

This fee can be anything from $2 to $30 a night.

Some places have an actual spa attached and this resort fee is an optional price which makes sense. For example you can pay for a night at a Disney Hotel, but your theme park tickets are a separate property and a separate price.

But it seems that some of these operators have say, a pool, and therefore add another compulsory $2.50 a night to your bill outside the quoted room rate. Another example I found was that they supply towels and a tea & coffee making facilities so it's another $2 a night thank you very much.

This seems a very underhanded way to pretend that their room rates are cheaper than they are. What's next? $5 a night "bed fee"?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Im the fun mommy :)

Re: Just how insidious and widespread are "resort fees"?

Wow that is very underhanded. Do you know if the Carousel does this? we stayed there several years ago but we can not remember if they did that then.
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Just how insidious and widespread are "resort fees"?

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    This seems a very underhanded way to pretend that their room rates are cheaper than they are. What's next? $5 a night "bed fee"?
    Sure - its all about having to compete head to head... so they simply move the fees somewhere else.

In some places they justify it with things like bottled water in the rooms, newspaper, etc.

Some sites like hotwire help you by showing 'true cost' including fees. Very helpful.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Embrace the kitsch!

Thumbs down Re: Just how insidious and widespread are "resort fees"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyto4 View Post
    Wow that is very underhanded. Do you know if the Carousel does this? we stayed there several years ago but we can not remember if they did that then.
    They not only charge a resort fee, they also charge for parking. That's why I don't stay there anymore. There are other places just as good w/o the fees and w/ free parking.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member