Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Suggestions for family's first time.....

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    The Lilly Belle is the caboose that follows one of the trains ... if it's raining it won't be out. You can't hop on at just any station though - you have to board/exit the Lilly Bell at Main Street Station.

Go to the station and ask the nearest Cast Member/Conductor about riding back there ... you may have to wait a few minutes, but it's a great experience! It's special for the kids and very nicely appointed for the adults!
    Is there more than one train that runs? Is the car on all of them if there is more than one?

Actually we have been measuring him once every couple weeks or so. He was at 46" today. He can go on Indiana Jones so he is happy.

• always, the freaky cat

Quote Originally Posted by clhunter View Post
    Is there more than one train that runs? Is the car on all of them if there is more than one?
    There's only one Lilly Belle, and it's not always out. And when it is out, you may not be able to ride in it if there aren't enough cast members--if some are on lunch break, etc. I've ridden in it once; other times I've been told to come back later in the day (but never did).

Oh, and technically it's not a caboose, although it is at the end of one of the trains and kind of looks like a caboose from the outside. One of the other trains does have a caboose, I've never tried asking to ride in it.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    One of the other trains does have a caboose, I've never tried asking to ride in it.

You can.

We have.

Wow this is great. I am leaving on Saturday to go w/ my kids and hubby. I will come back and post all about it. I am going to have to try for the train. Chandler loves the choo choo. Can you take your own strollers in that car? I will have 2 singles with us that fold compactly. Thanks.
    Melissa, Mom to Chandler, 4 yo, & Lincoln 8 mo. Wife to Rob, 5 yrs.
    Disney tidbit: My name was chosen at Disneyland! Been over 50 times, even though I live 1000 miles away!
    Leaving for DL March 7-12: Staying at GCH!

• Anaheim Born & Raised

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    For adults, it doesn't seem like much of a show, except an opportunity to chuckle at how cute some of the kids are that get picked. But for the kids who get picked, it's a real treat. Here's a picture of my son fighting Darth Maul:

Picasa Web Albums - Danny - Disneyland, E...

Note that the kids who are picked are divided into two groups, with one group fighting Darth Vader and one fighting Darth Maul. I'm not sure what to do if his heart is absolutely set on it being Darth Maul that he fights...
    I've also noticed that they usually have the smaller children on the stage fighting Darth Vader and the older kids on the floor fighting Darth Maul..my son is 6 and every time he's been up there he's been on the stage fighting Vader. Just something you might want to prepare him for.
    Last edited by Pineappleprincess; 03-05-2009 at 07:59 AM.

• Anaheim Born & Raised

I'm probably echoing others but I have two small boys that just turned 6 & 3. Some of their favorites are Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tom Sawyer (Pirate) Island and the Train. They love watching the old black and white cartoons on Main Street (its a great place to take them to relax). Over at DCA my boy's love Soarin' over California, The Redwood Trail (be careful he may never want to leave) and Playhouse Disney is a must see if he watches the Disney Channel in the morning. Someone mentioned to take the time to see the Animation building..they were right. There are so many interactive things to do there. My kids will spend hours in the building just watching the oversized screens and dancing to the music (and there are comfy couches in there for tired parents to sit on.) If he's a fan of Nemo be sure to see Turtle Talk with Crush. As for food you're right to be a little nervous about the Blue Bayou..he'll probably do just fine..but have a back up plan just incase. Just remember its Disney, they have built this park/company on family entertainment and the cast members are there to help you. We took our little guys to the Blue Bayou and they were a little squirmy..lucky for us our waiter was amazing! He did such a great job of staying on top of things/ drinks, bringing the boys crackers and bread, he even stopped to talk to them a little and get to know them. I wouldn't worry too much. On another note the street entertainment is almost always worth stopping to watch in both parks. Have a great trip!

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

If you are monorail fans ask to sit up front with the pilot. Will make the little guy feel very important. Turtle Talk with Crush is great for both little kids and adults. There are a lot of jokes that only the adults will get and sometimes I think the older you are the harder you laugh, especially if you know the surf culture of the 60s and pop culture in general. But just this amazing talking turtle will be something your son should love.

Weather in April is hard to predict, but be prepared for "June Gloom" when it will be overcast until Noon. (But I love June Gloom because it keeps the heat down.) Bring a coat because the evenings will be chilly for sure. Sunscreen is a must even with a cloudy sky. There are a lot of shady places to sit in Dland but not in DCA, my personal pet peeve, so be prepared. If he'll wear a hat with a brim be sure he has one. I always considered late April as the beginning of the tourist season before the huge crowds hit.

I'm pretty sure the GCH has a children's story hour in the evening. Kids wear their pj's for that. If you are spending any time at all in the lobby the fireplace is a must. Kid's size rockers which they love. The GCH is especially nice because it's so close. Nice you'll be able to stay there.

I know you'll have a great time.

• Keep Moving Forward

My suggestion: take two nights to watch the fireworks. The first night watch them from the castle, then the next night go out to the Rivers of America. The latter is actually my favorite place for viewing the fireworks due to the location and atmosphere, although your little guy might prefer the castle due to all the special effects that go off around there.

Go to Fantasyland first, after 10:00 am fantasy land gets really busy.

Where are you coming Out of state?

• Charmander!

Turtle Talk with Crush in DCA! its easy to miss but a good chance to sit down for a little while and fun for kids and adults.

Stop by the Tiki Room and get a Dole Whip

Check out the castle walkthrough.. its been redone and looks good

Thanks for all the suggestions, these are great. We are coming from Washington. I moved up here 10 years ago from San Diego, but did not get to Disneyland a whole lot. I really have forgotten how the weather was down there after being up here so long.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I would suggest you hit the Nemo subs first thing in the moirning when the lines are low. Now, I have not been on Nemo yet, but I remember the lines for the old Submarine Voyage. They were long and slow moving because the submarines can't taken in as many riders like Pirates and Mansion can.

I know when I go to DL next, Nemo will be the first ride I hit for that reason alone.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Yes they have the Dinosaurs, it comes after the tomorrowland station. The Lilly Belle is the presidential car, you can ask to ride in it, sometimes it's available. You can also ask to ride up front with the engineers--only 2 or 3 will fit up there with them, not every train is equipped to have passengers up there. To ride up front or in the Lilly Belle, you have to ask at the Main St. station.
    If I am correct DannyB, the train even goes through the Finale scene of Splash Mountain after it leaves the New Orleans station . That's my favorite part of the ride.

But to be honest, I think the train ride is fun from the New Orleans Square station all the way back to the main street station. It's kinda boring from Main Street to New Orleans though.

However my opinion probably differs from everyone else .

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I would suggest you hit the Nemo subs first thing in the moirning when the lines are low. Now, I have not been on Nemo yet, but I remember the lines for the old Submarine Voyage. They were long and slow moving because the submarines can't taken in as many riders like Pirates and Mansion can.

I know when I go to DL next, Nemo will be the first ride I hit for that reason alone.
    The usual logic doesn't apply to this attraction, unfortunately. If you go on a Magic Morning, it will already be crowded by the time you get there. If it's a non Magic Morning, you will have a shorter line first thing in the morning, but it will STILL be slow-loading and the time investment of loading and riding chews up a lot of time that could be spent on 3-4 other rides in prime morning time frame.

The best solution for Nemo (because it's a popular family attraction) is to go during the first performance of a parade of Fantasmic! Most families will have done Nemo by then and/or be distracted by these offerings ... leaving Nemo to be the shortest line it's had all day (even more so than when the park first opens). Unfortunately, the park's other e-tickets don't have this luxury of distraction ... making it a better time investment to hit up the other e-tickets in the morning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast