Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Hello

Cool Re: Suggestions for family's first time.....

Relax, have fun, and take it all in. yeah, don't rush or get too worked up about something. Lastly, don't tell your son too much, try to keep most of the rides a secret.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Suggestions for family's first time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    Relax, have fun, and take it all in. yeah, don't rush or get too worked up about something. Lastly, don't tell your son too much, try to keep most of the rides a secret.
    Precisely! If he gets his heart set on something that can't happen that day for some reason, then he'll be a mess. If you know to ask and get a No, then you just quietly keep going like nothing special could have happened...

A few that need clarification:

The Lilly Belle is a Private Parlor Car that is on the end of one of the train consists, used to be the "Grand Canyon" car of the original passenger train until they realized it was way too slow to load and went with the open benches. It is kept locked and can not be ridden unless there is an extra Conductor available to ride in there with you. Must board at Main Street and make a full round trip.

(Oh, and a lot of the "Story" that they try to tell about Walt and Lilian and that Parlor Car... Well, "Tall Tales" is harsh, but accurate - it's all the invention of a PR Flack. They didn't convert it over from as passenger coach till well past Walt's passing. And as to the Smoking Jacket bering an Original Walt Posession... )

(Hint: Truth is often stranger than fiction, but usually not Politically Correct or sanitized.)

Same thing with Tender Rides on two of the engines - two adults or one and two medium-sized kids. Must make a full round trip. Engineer has the final say. And can only ride when they aren't planning to stop for fuel or water on that trip, and not having problems with the engine. (If the burner blows out, you have to disembark and walk away a bit before they relight it, just in case.) Must board at Main Street and make a full round trip.

You can ride in the Caboose if it's out behind one of the train sets - but you want to do that early in the morning. The windows don't open, and besides not being able to hear the Grand Canyon audio very well it gets Real Hot in there, Real Fast. Summer afternoons it's a sauna. And you can only go in the front section, the Cupola is kept locked to keep kids from climbing up then falling - if the car sways you can get tossed around from the extra altitude.

And one that hasn't come up yet:

Then there's Piloting the Mark Twain - ask the CM at the dock before you start loading, he'll check with the Pilot if it's OK to send you up... Get to steer, and blow the whistle and ring the bell.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    And one that hasn't come up yet:

Then there's Piloting the Mark Twain - ask the CM at the dock before you start loading, he'll check with the Pilot if it's OK to send you up... Get to steer, and blow the whistle and ring the bell.

--<< Bruce >>--
    I heard this too, I am going to try for it Monday!
    Melissa, Mom to Chandler, 4 yo, & Lincoln 8 mo. Wife to Rob, 5 yrs.
    Disney tidbit: My name was chosen at Disneyland! Been over 50 times, even though I live 1000 miles away!
    Leaving for DL March 7-12: Staying at GCH!

I think he would flip if he got to go on the big boat and drive etc. I will definitely have to try that one. How many others do they allow in there with him, meaning family members?

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Redwood Creek Challenge area is great for him to blow off some steam and run around. There's climbing nets, bridges, etc for him to play on. Animation building is great for some down time. He can make his own cartoon strip after doing Turtle Talk, sing along or act along with a movie clip. It's a nice break from standing in lines.

Staying at the GCH, make sure that you plan a bit of pool time. My youngest loves taking a break and hitting the pool slide. And relaxing in the kid sized rockers in front of the fireplace is a great way to end the night.

Have a great time!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by clhunter View Post
    I think he would flip if he got to go on the big boat and drive etc. I will definitely have to try that one. How many others do they allow in there with him, meaning family members?
    Anything over three (plus the Pilot) is going to start getting crowded up there, it simply isn't that large a space. (Been there.) Four (One adult three kids) is probably an absolute max.

And no, they won't let you 'stuff the phone booth', someone might fall down the stairs... Now they might let Mommy(*) wait one deck below in the secured space (Master's Cabin?) and swap off with you halfway around, but that's only a guess. It's all up to the Pilot.

(* = Disclaimer: Or Daddy, or Partner, youknowwhatImean... "clhunter" could go either way - Not looking to offend, but I'm not going to even try rewording that to be gender neutral in case I guessed wrong.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

For the Jedi Training Academy, here's my number 1 tip: use a sign!

I have yet to hear of anyone who used a sign and didn't get selected.

We went to JTA on a Saturdy morning in Oct '07, and there were 5 children with signs. Right away the CMs selected the 5 children with signs, and THEN they looked into the audience to select the rest of the young Jedis.

The sign doesn't have to be fancy:"The Force Is Strong In This One!" or "Don't Let Me Turn To The Dark Side!" or "Pick Me!"

FWIW, here's a short article about JTA:
    How to Get Chosen for the Jedi Training Academy at Disneyland - Associated Content

May the Force be with you!

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Belobog; 03-07-2009 at 11:18 AM.

In the Animation Building in DCA, take a few minutes to see the Toy Story Zeotrope.

Quote Originally Posted by Belobog View Post
    For the Jedi Training Academy, here's my number 1 tip: use a sign!

I have yet to hear of anyone who used a sign and didn't get selected.

We went to JTA on a Saturdy morning in Oct '07, and there were 5 children with signs. Right away the CMs selected the 5 children with signs, and THEN they looked into the audience to select the rest of the young Jedis.

The sign doesn't have to be fancy:"The Force Is Strong In This One!" or "Don't Let Me Turn To The Dark Side!" or "Pick Me!"

FWIW, here's a short article about JTA:
    How to Get Chosen for the Jedi Training Academy at Disneyland - Associated Content

May the Force be with you!

Hope this helps.
    Thanks that is a great article. That will help a lot he would love to make a sign

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123