Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disney aficionado

Universal Studios~

is Universal studios worth the price, worth the drive from anaheim, and worth the time to visit?

How much time should I devote if I wanted to see Universal studios?
    Is it generally busy?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Universal Studios~

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    is Universal studios worth the price, worth the drive from anaheim, and worth the time to visit?

Is it generally busy?

Many of these questions could probably we answered by simple searches of numerous previous threads found here:

Non-Disney Theme Parks and Vacation Locations
    Any other Non-Disney Destination such as Theme Parks, Local Fairs, National Parks, Cruises, Museums, Cities, Monuments, etc.

Other variables depend on time of year, etc.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 03-21-2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Link Added
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disney aficionado

I didn't want to go to universal anyhow hehe

• Im the fun mommy :)

go to sea world!! the bus ride is free from greylines and you just buy the park tickets from them what ever you decide, Have a wonderful time. I look forward to hearing about your trip
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Of course Universal Studios is worth the trip for a first time visitor. Now, how frequently you visit is another question.

The tram tour is unlike any other, not even Disney can compete with it.

Waterworld show, a good action show, DL doesn't offer anything like this, and it beats the Indy show at WDW, too

Simpson's - a great change to the old Back to the Future ride, and it "moves" you in ways that I haven't seen in any other motion simulator ride.

The Mummy, a fun little indoor coaster that has some interesting moves. Certainly themed better than California Screamin' at DCA,

Jurassic Park, a very nicely themed ride, (too bad a couple of the animatronics never seem to work quite right. and getting drenched isn't my favorite thing.)

their sound stage type show in the lower level is worth seeing on your first trip, too. It's not a knock your socks off show, but it's a unique show, and once again, nothing you'll ever see at the DL resort.

I don't really recommend either Terminator 3D or Shrek 3D movie, either, but if you have time, give them a shot.

that's pretty much it. Oh, there is some animal show, in the upper lot. It's ok, and again, something that DL doesn't offer.

A few of my favorite characters at Universal : Scooby Doo and Sponge Bob.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 03-22-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: correct typos

• we jumped out a window

Don't tell me that you're rethinking all of your honeymoon plans!

Personally speaking, I'd recommend foregoing the mini golf as well as the time spent in Hollywood in favor of an extra day at Disneyland and even a day at Universal Studios Hollywood. You would get more out of USH, as we call it, than walking down Hollywood Blvd.

• Disney aficionado

Well Disneyland is Thursday regardless on my trip:

I could alter things a bit possibly.

Currently, Wednesday the day we arrive we are going to Hollywood for a few hours that evening.
    Thursday is Disneyland. Friday we are spending some time at the beach and mini golfing.

If I decided to spend some additional money I could alter my trip like this:
    Wednesday Beach / Mini Golf
    Thursday: Disneyland / DCA
    Friday: Hollywood for a couple hours then USH.

Tickets for USH are expensive though. If I had free tickets to USH, I'd go there in a heartbeat. Forking over $67 per person as opposed to going to Hollywood for free is a different story.
    If I do decide to go to USH, I might get the front of the line pass since its our honeymoon?

Also, Doing DL and USH back to back just seems like it would wear us out.
    How much time do you think is worth allocating for USH? A whole day? or maybe just 6 hours or so?
    Last edited by Yackerz; 03-20-2009 at 08:10 PM.

• Disney aficionado

What makes the tram tour so great?

Do they still have back to the Future there?
    Nm.. Simpson ride looks like it took it's place. Eh my fiancee doesn't like the simpsons.

Hmm is $100 a ticket for "Front of the line pass" worth the Mummy ride, Jurassic Park, the Tram Tour, and Waterworld Show ?
    Last edited by Yackerz; 03-20-2009 at 08:42 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Is it generally busy?
    yes, yes, and yes.

You will probably stay most of the day there if you want to do everything. At least from opening until maybe 6 or 7pm give or take. If you are going in the summer then it will be busy.

• Beach Expert

Well Disneyland is Thursday regardless on my trip:

I could alter things a bit possibly.

Currently, Wednesday the day we arrive we are going to Hollywood for a few hours that evening.
    Thursday is Disneyland. Friday we are spending some time at the beach and mini golfing.

If I decided to spend some additional money I could alter my trip like this:
    Wednesday Beach / Mini Golf
    Thursday: Disneyland / DCA
    Friday: Hollywood for a couple hours then USH.

Tickets for USH are expensive though. If I had free tickets to USH, I'd go there in a heartbeat. Forking over $67 per person as opposed to going to Hollywood for free is a different story.
    If I do decide to go to USH, I might get the front of the line pass since its our honeymoon?

Also, Doing DL and USH back to back just seems like it would wear us out.
    How much time do you think is worth allocating for USH? A whole day? or maybe just 6 hours or so?
    If you are so determined to do mini golf and the beach on the same day then you don't have much choice but to go to Boomers in Fountain Valley. If you go to Camelot in Anaheim you are basically going away from the beach. But if you go to Boomers all you have to do is go down Magnolia to Pacific Coast Hwy and you will be able to go to Huntington Beach.

And I think you would be wasting your money on a front of the line pass...

• Beach Expert

What makes the tram tour so great?

Do they still have back to the Future there?
    Nm.. Simpson ride looks like it took it's place. Eh my fiancee doesn't like the simpsons.

Hmm is $100 a ticket for "Front of the line pass" worth the Mummy ride, Jurassic Park, the Tram Tour, and Waterworld Show ?
    Sorry for the third post in a row...

The tram tour is hands down is the greatest because you are touring actual movie sets and locations. They show you where movies from the past were actually filmed, and where current movies and tv shows are filkmed. It is the real thing and not some made up thing like they have in the other parks.

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Of course Universal Studios is worth the trip for a first time visitor. Now, how frequently you visit is another question.

The tram tour is unlike any other, not even Disney can compete with it.

Waterworld show, a good action show, DL doesn't offer anything like this, and it beats the Indy show at WDW, too

Simpson's - a great change to the old Back to the Future ride, and is "moves" you in ways that I haven't seen in any other motion simulator ride.

The Mummy, a fun little indoor coaster that has some interesting moves. Certainly themed better than California Screamin' at DCA,

Jurassic Park, a very nicely themed ride, (too bad a couple of the animatronics never seem to work quite right. and getting drenched isn't my favorite thing.)

there sound stage type show in the lower level is worth seeing on your first trip, too. It's not a know your socks off show, but it's a unique show, and once again, nothing you'll ever see at the DL resort.

I don't really recomment either Terminator 3D or Shrek 3D movie, either, but if you have time, give them a shot.

that's pretty much it. Oh, there is some animal show, in the upper lot. It's ok, and again, something that DL doesn't offer.

A few of my favorite characters at Universal : Scooby Doo and Sponge Bob.
    I enjoy Terminator 3D and would recommend it

However, I consider the Mummy to be one of the most disappointing rides in any Southern California area theme park. Theming is great except once the coaster part of the ride starts. Glow in the dark cardboard mummies???? It totally detracts from the nicely done queue, IMO. And as for the coaster itself, I think even Mulholland Madness is better.

I enjoy getting utterly drenched so naturally I'd recommend Jurassic Park. However, as it isn't summer yet, some of the water effects are turned off and so you won't get as wet.

Yackerz, as I live only 15 minutes away, I might go tomorrow or sometime soon and so I'll try to snap some photos to get you interested in going.

Personally, I wouldn't fork over the money for the front of the line pass. The longest wait you'll have there is for the Simpsons ride (usually around 45 min.) and since you won't be going on it, all the other lines should be relatively short.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I enjoy Terminator 3D and would recommend it
    Vote 2 for T3D. If you want to be blown away. It's a full on sensory experience.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm a big Universal supporter. It doesn't offer as much to do as Disney and it isn't as well maintained, but it is a unique Southern California attraction which offers a glimpse at the movie making process. The Studio Tour is WONDERFUL and no one does it better. Some of the rides are Disney quality, but they are all fun in their own way.

I make this drive every day for work. It is about an hour from Disneyland to Universal if traffic is light and 2 to 2 and a half hours during rush hour.

Save time to shop City Walk (the shopping district leading up to the park). We like to have dinner there as well before heading home.

Alot about 5 hours for the park and hit the main rides (The Mummy, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons, Terminator, and Shrek) and the Studio Tour. If you have lots of extra time on your hands, the shows can be lots of fun.

Give it a try, I think you'll like it. Certainly worth a day away from Disney for a change of pace.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Disney aficionado

Anyone here think the front of the line pass is of any value if you were going in the middle of June?

Is it just a waste of money?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast