View Poll Results: Which Trip Option do you think is Best? (Read my post)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trip Option 1 - 2 days DL, No USH

9 75.00%
  • Trip Option 2 - 1.5 days DL, Hollywood Blvd, then USH

0 0%
  • Trip Option 3 - 1.5 days DL, USH, then Hollywood Blvd

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Disney aficionado

Red Face 3 Trip Options - 2 Days DL or 1.5 DL & USH?

Ok. I keep coming back and looking at Universal Studios Hollywood and thinking, do I want to go there? Here is what I can do on my trip:

Good News! My relative living in California can get me 2 days worth of free passes for Disneyland / DCA to use on my honeymoon . That part of my trip has 0 expense now ! Thus, my wife may be more willing to spend some money on Univeral studios. I'm able to get them for $48 a piece online as we speak.

My plane arrives 2:00 PM Wednesday June 18th in Hollywood. By the time we get our rental car and check into our hotel I'm estimating it will be 4:00.

Option 1 - This is the current option in my fiancee's mind.
    - Around 3:30 - 4:00 on the first day, drive out to Hollywood. In Hollywood, do some sightseeing Grauman's Chinese theatre, the walk of fame, and then eat dinner at Pig N Whistle 6:30 (I have a coupon and reservations for there already).
    - Days 2 and day 3 we will spend at Disneyland / DCA.

Option 2 -
    - Spend from 4:30 till about 10:00 at Disneyland the first day (remember I have free tickets and can't get to the park much sooner than that because of our flight).
    - The second day spend the whole day at Disneyland 8 - 9:00 (grad nite).
    - The third day head to Hollywood at 10:00 in the morning. Sightsee Hollywood Blvd. for an hour or so. Then go to USH 1 to 7. (USH closes at 7).

Option 3 - (Very Similiar to option 2 except for the 3rd day)
    - Days 1 and 2 Same as Option 2.
    - The third day head to USH at 10:00 in the morning. Stay at the park 11 till 6. Head to Pig N Whistle restaraunt at Hollywood Blvd at 6:30. Sight see Hollywood Blvd. afterwards till about 9:00 PM.

Skipping seeing Hollywood Blvd. all together isn't an option sorry :-\. I want to at least spend an hour there. Look at the walk of fame, see grauman's, el capitan, and kodak.

• Banned User

Re: 3 Trip Options - 2 Days DL or 1.5 DL & USH?

Option 1.
    USH isn't all that great.

Where are you getting your rental car? If at LAX, then go straight to Hollywood from there. Just get it out of your way. After the traffic dies down (after dinner), you can go to Anaheim and the hotel. If at Burbank, then absolutely do not waste two hours driving back and forth. You're about 20 minutes from Hollywood, and it's just slightly out of the way from Anaheim.
    If Orange County/John Wayne, then never mind.

And I agree that you need your illusions of Hollywood Blvd shattered, so definitely go there.

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Option 1.
    USH isn't all that great.

Where are you getting your rental car? .
    Thanks Sediment, I'm getting the rental car at SNA where we will be landing. I did think about the proximity Hollywood is to LAX, but still decided to get a plane ticket to SNA. (Found a cheaper deal to SNA at the time and figured it would be less crowded).

Ya everyone says to go to Hollywood BLVD, and you will be in for a suprise. My one friend who was there said everything is fake. There isn't anything real there. I don't know what they meant by that exactly, but I am starting to get the hint.

I don't get the allure of Hollywood Blvd. to tourists. It's a bunch of people in fake looking, copyright-infringing costumes that you pay to get your pictures taken with, combined with an unusual combination of cheap tourist stores and high-end boutiques like Louis Vuitton, along with a bunch of stars on the ground that are often cracked, fast food restaurants, and tourist trap museums.

I go all the time, but I live in central Los Angeles and hang out there on weekends to see a movie, grab a bite to eat, or go to a night club. Plus it's on the red line, so I can leave my car parked at home.

Skip Universal Studios Hollywood. The place is so bare-bone. Nothing special, especially if you have been to the far superior USF. It's no wonder that SoCal residents pay for one day admission and get the rest of the year for free! It's the only way to get people back.

Also, where is your hotel? Where are you driving to Hollywood from? It can be a nightmare to get from the O.C. to/from Hollywood anytime between 2PM and 7PM.

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post

Also, where is your hotel? Where are you driving to Hollywood from? It can be a nightmare to get from the O.C. to/from Hollywood anytime between 2PM and 7PM.
    My hotel is off of Katella in the OC (Ayres hotel anaheim). Ya I figured traffic can be pretty bad to get to Hollywood from the OC. If I left at 3:30 as opposed to 4:00 would it make much of a difference?

Is there any subway routes or anything I could take instead? I know distance wise its an estimated 45 minute drive.
    Last edited by Yackerz; 04-07-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    My hotel is off of Katella in the OC. Ya I figured traffic can be pretty bad to get to Hollywood from the OC. If I left at 3:30 as opposed to 4:00 would it make much of a difference?

Is there any subway routes or anything I could take instead? I know distance wise its an estimated 45 minute drive.
    Leaving at 3:30 might help, might not. The traffic can get really bad. It's not going to take you 45 minutes. It is entirely difficult to estimate, but on a good day it will be 1 hour, on a bad day it will be 2.5 hours. Once it took me two hours to do the drive on a Friday afternoon.

There is no subway from Anaheim. You can take Amtrak from Anaheim and then transfer to the subway, but it still takes about 1h15m to do that, and the last train leaves LA at 7PM. Not worth it.

• Banned User

My hotel is off of Katella in the OC (Ayres hotel anaheim). Ya I figured traffic can be pretty bad to get to Hollywood from the OC. If I left at 3:30 as opposed to 4:00 would it make much of a difference?

You are a very funny guy.

45 minutes, or 2 hours and 45 minutes. The biggest problem is that there will be no way of knowing, especially two months in advance, what the traffic will be like on that day.

Take the Metro Rail as follows:

1. Drive to Green Line end-of-line station at The 605/The 105 interchange.
    North on The 5.
    West on The 91.
    North on The 605.
    Off Imperial Highway exit.
    Right on Hoxie Ave, from the exit. (Do not go to Imperial Highway first.)
    Straight into parking lot.
    Maybe 15 minutes. Or 45 minutes. Again, no way of knowing.

2. Get on Green Line west (only way).
    3. Transfer to Blue Line North
    4. Transfer to Red Line at terminus to North Hollywood. (Not Union Station or Western.)
    5. Get off at Hollywood and Highland.

Green Line Timetable:
    http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/803.pdf

Blue Line Timetable:
    http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/801.pdf

Red Line Timetable:
    http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/802.pdf

Buy "day passes."
    http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/ri...ng_fare-01.htm
    This will eliminate the need to purchase transfers and all that. You might waste a whole dollar for this convenience. Quite worth it. Less chance of missing trains.

Last train to Green Line terminus from Hollywood/Highland Red Line via the Blue Line is 11:22PM. Get you there about an hour later. Plan accordingly.
    Oh, and you'll get to see some real So Cal on that trip. These characters won't have costumes on.
    Last edited by sediment; 04-07-2009 at 02:43 PM.

• Disney aficionado

Take the Metro as follows:

1. Drive to Green Line end station at The 605/The 105 interchange.
    North on The 5.
    West on The 91.
    North on The 605.
    Off Imperial Highway exit.
    Right on Hoxie Ave, from the exit. (Do not go to Imperial Highway first.)
    Straight into parking lot.

2. Get on Green Line west (only way).
    3. Transfer to Blue Line North
    4. Transfer to Red Line at terminus to North Hollywood. (Not Union Station or Western.)
    5. Get off at Hollywood and Highland.

Green Line Timetable:
    http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/803.pdf

Blue Line Timetable:
    http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/801.pdf

Red Line Timetable:
    http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/802.pdf

Last train to Green Line terminus from Hollywood/Highland Red Line via the Blue Line is 11:22PM. Get you there about an hour later. Plan accordingly.
    Hm.. that don't sound too bad. Would be a lot less stressful than driving probably.
    Do buses move good in traffic going into Hollywood?
    Last edited by Yackerz; 04-07-2009 at 03:06 PM.

• Banned User

Hm.. that don't sound too bad. Would be a lot less stressful than driving probably. About an hour you say? Do buses move good in traffic going into Hollywood?
    Those are rail lines, and the Red Line from downtown to Hollywood IS a subway. (As seen in "Speed.") I would not recommend the buses, even though there is a way. Way too many transfers.
    Trains are much more timely.

Not sure about the last Metro 460 bus, which could be used instead of driving to and from the Green Line terminus.
    OK, just looked it up: last 460 bus from Green Line to DL is at 10:51PM, and takes about an hour (it stops a lot). Pretty inefficient.

• Disney aficionado

Those are rail lines, and the Red Line from downtown to Hollywood IS a subway..
    O thanks a ton!.. I like trains

• Banned User

O thanks a ton!.. I like trains
    Well, there is a funicular downtown, right off the Red Line. I'm sure you, the Pittsburghian, would like that.
    Not opened at present.

• Disney aficionado

Well, there is a funicular downtown, right off the Red Line. I'm sure you, the Pittsburghian, would like that.
    Not opened at present.
    All those metro rail transfers that you mentioned.. how long do you think it will take to get to Hollywood?

Maybe I'll just fight the LA traffic..
    Maybe we won't bother checking into our hotel till after we get back from Hollywood. That would allow us to start our drive to Hollywood around 3:00 and hopefully beat the traffic.

• Im the fun mommy :)

I say go to USH and disneyland and forgo hollywood
    Thats what we are doing. I have done disney and there are other parks out there
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyto4 View Post
    I say go to USH and disneyland and forgo hollywood
    Thats what we are doing. I have done disney and there are other parks out there
    Lol that wasnt one of the options.. if I'm going to USH i might as well swing down to Hollywood for an hour to check out the grauman's forecourt, walk of fame, and kodak / el capitan theatres

• Disney aficionado

Not opened at present.
    The red line looks pretty nice to ride. However, the Blue line on the other hand I read is horrid.. (goes through Compton, Watts, and other not so great neighborhoods). I think I'll just drive and try to beat the afternoon rush hour. If I leave straight from SNA, I could be headed to Hollywood by 2:30 at the earliest and probably 3 at the latest. Thus, hopefully beating the big rush hour.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast