Best Non-Disneyland Resort Attraction

I have to attend funeral services for an Uncle in Whittier next month, and I won't have time to do the Disneyland Resort (or any of the other theme parks). But I will need something to take my mind off his passing. What are your favorite non-Disney attractions in the Orange County area?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Best Non-Disneyland Resort Attraction

Some ideas would be the beaches. Huntington, Newport, or Laguna are the three closest to the DLR. Something unique to do in Newport Harbor is the Harbor Cruise. It's basically similar to the bus tours of movie star's homes that they do up in Hollywood, except it's on a boat. It's divided in two parts -- you can pay for both together or pay separately. One part of it, in addition to seeing ceclbrity homes takes you out into the ocean to see the sea lions.

The Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana is a science museum with fun hands-on exhibits.

Also in Santa Ana is an inexpensive zoo that can be seen within a few hours. No large animals, but a lot of monkeys.

Irvine Park is also a different area to visit, especially if you have little kids. It is near the city of Orange, so don't let the name confuse you -- it was originally James Irvine's hunting grounds back in the 1800s. It is California's oldest regional park and has lots of large sycamores and oaks, some as old as 600 years or more. It also has a train ride, pony rides, a lake where you can rent paddle-wheel boats, a nature center, and a small zoo which has native animals such as bears, coyotes, and even a mountain lion.

So there's some ideas. Hope this will help you get things off of your mind.

Smile Re: Best Non-Disneyland Resort Attraction

Excellent! Thank you -- and thanks to Neverneverland for moving my posting to the appropriate Forum!

• "I Break Things"

Re: Best Non-Disneyland Resort Attraction

I'm sorry for your loss. DIP has a lot of good recommendations. Sometimes a simple walk on the beach can help a person relax. Other times it makes the mind drift to happier times. There is a lot that can be done in Orange County, the real question is what would you like to do?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"