•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Harbor Blvd. Map makes me curious.

http://www.anaheim411.com/2008_mapFRONT_xl.jpg

Ever since I discovered this map of Harbor Blvd, and the Anaheim Resort, I have been really curious about the buses, and travel times concerning Disneyland.

First of all, I just love this map. It not only shows the hotels, but it has restaurants, grocery stores, and other spots that a visitor to Disneyland would be interested in.

Now I have never been good at reading maps. Everything looks so close together. I realize that distances are never as they seem.

I am in the middle of planning a trip to Disney World, but this map makes me look forward to my next trip to Harbor Blvd, so I can better get to know the street that is so close to my beloved Disneyland.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 06-10-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Harbor Blvd. Map makes me curious.

From Ball & Harbor (Ball is near the top of the map just above the 5 freeway) down to Chapman Ave (near the bottom of the map) it's 2 miles. So the Disneyland Resort is just about in the middle with 1 mile north & south covered in the map. I would check out Google Maps before you go, you can even click on "Public Transit" in the directions section to see what bus routes are avalible.

http://www.rideart.org/ - for Disney based shuttle service/local hotels.

Welcome To the Orange County Transportation Authority - local public transit bus system.

Have fun when you come back to Anaheim... (and on your trip to Disney World)!
    Last edited by Wesley815; 06-11-2009 at 05:27 AM.
    -Wes

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Harbor Blvd. Map makes me curious.

Thanks for the links. I have been wondering about just where those buses stop. Since I don't drive, I am a walker. I walk a lot here in Chicago where I live. On each of my previous trips, I didn't do a lot of exploring in the city of Anaheim, Harbor Blvd to be exact. I can see myself venturing out a little more down that street on my next vacation.

I am planning on a trip for MiceChat's 5th Anniversary. Also Disneyland is celebrating it's 55th Anniversary, so a Summer vacation would also be a great time to do some exploring. I have always spent all my time at Disneyland, so perhaps the next time, I will do some new and different things in addition to my time at the parks.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I just want to remind you if you want to explore Harbor Blvd (and being a local I don't know why anyone would want to) to be cautious. Only go during the day and if you are out at night be sure that someone accompanies you.

Harbor Blvd is a very long street, going for many miles north and south of the Anaheim Resort District. And it does go through some pretty bad neighborhoods. I would suggest to only explore those areas you know the best, which are most likely within the resort district. I would strongly advise to not take a bus to other areas outside of the resort district because you could wind up in the wrong part of town. For example the area of Harbor Blvd in Santa Ana between 1st and 4th Streets is a fairly heavily infested gang area.

I'm sorry to scare you. But I do want you to be safe, and if exploring Harbor Blvd is something you want to do I at least want you to enjoy it!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I live in Chicago, and believe me, I know about being careful. I have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, and the Hilton Anaheim on my previous 4 trips. The only things that I ever did on Harbor Blvd was I ate at Tony Romas on my first day, and I walked down to the restaurant by HoJo's one morning. The walk was very nice, and if the map that I posted is about a 2 mile stretch, that is not too bad. I walk that pretty easy, here in Chicago.

I would never be so foolish as to travel any further than that. When I stayed at the Hilton I had an ART pass, and I was always very grateful for that ride back to the hotel at night. I do like that you can order those passes online. The Candy Cane Inn had their own bus, and that was very nice as well.

The Bus that goes down Harbor doesn't seem to have very many stops, making it much easier to walk, I think, unless perhaps you want to shop at that Target store. I am not a big shopper on vacation. I just like to get out and about, and see how the other half lives, away from my own city of Chicago.

I also didn't even know where City Walk was. Now, I see that I was right close by when I stayed at the Candy Cane Inn.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out, Barbaraann. Which is a good thing. Have a great time exploring!

I just don't want people who might not be as familiar with the area as you to assume anywhere along Harbor Blvd is ok just because Disneyland is on it.

Like I said Harbor Blvd stretches for many miles in both directions and while there are many good areas it passes through, there are other areas it's probably best to avoid.

And City Walk is in Universal. Garden Walk is in Anaheim. Unless City Walk is an area of the resort district I don't know about.

Now you're making me want to explore it myself!
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 06-11-2009 at 07:00 AM.