Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best SNA Airport Shuttle

Well, my trip is coming up later this week! The last thing on the to-do list is to book a shuttle to and from the airport (I'm flying into the Orange County airport).

We looked at the Grayline shuttle, but they charge more then places like Super Shuttle and they don't stop directly at our hotel.

So I thought I'd ask for some advice on the best shuttle service. Has anybody tried Super Shuttle? I got a quote of $57 round trip for 3 people. Seems like a pretty good deal, but am a bit nervous about the van share, though I would assume anybody they put with us would also be going to the resort area.

Any suggestions, reviews, or advice?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Best SNA Airport Shuttle

Just go for a Taxi, they are about $45 each way plus tip to the resort area.

No waiting, no having other folks join you (and having to wait for them), no stopping at other places before your location.

Plain and simple, go to the Taxi Stand (same place as the Shuttle Van and Disneyland Express pickups area), the lower area between the two main luggage claim areas on the lower level. And get in the first cab in the line.

You might pay a bit more, but you have NON-stop service to your hotel without any of the other hassles.

Note, this is from John Wayne/Orange County/SNA airport and also the Long Beach/LGB airport. The other main airports, LAX, Ontario and Bob Hope/Burbank will change over $100 (on average, maybe even a lot more depending on traffic) for a taxi, so a "fixed" rate option is a better choice, but they are at least 35 miles from the DLR, while LGB/SNA are less than 15 miles.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Blow me to Bermuda!

I've done both the taxi and super shuttle. Darkbeer is right about the taxi prices and the door to door service.

For the price, I think we liked the super shuttle better though. We had reservations and didn't have to wait long for the last couple of people. We were even lucky enough to have our stop be first. They were on time for pickup when we left and both drivers were very nice. Honestly, the taxi drive to the hotel about gave me a heart attack. That particular driver drives like a maniac. lol The amount of money we saved by taking super shuttle made it worth a little bit of a wait for us. My opinion may be different if I was traveling with a smaller chid though. I travel with teenagers.

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

How does transportation work with small children?

I assume shuttles are exempt from the requirements for car seats. Are taxis? Do the companies provide seats?
    Last edited by DaddyDeuce; 06-23-2009 at 09:48 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDeuce View Post

I assume shuttles are exempt from the requirements for car seats. Are taxis? Do the companies provide seats?
    I think it's "bring your own." A taxi should not be expected to carry the maximum bumber of possible child seats in all sizes, mind you, at all times, for all possible cases of fares during a day's work.

Get yourself a limosine service that will know in advance what number and sizes of child seats bring -- as you will tell them. I mean, your children ARE important enough to spend a little more, right? [/guilt]
    No, you probably won't get a stretch limo. Simple town car is more likely.

At some number of passengers, the limo service is more valueriffic than a shuttle. Shuttle charges by the person, while the limo charges by the ride.
    We've gone over this many times, but just in case it's been forgotten:
    1. Only your group is in a limo. A shuttle will have lots of different people.
    2. Limo goes directly to your hotel. Shuttle might stop five or more times along the way, dropping off other passengers.
    3. Limo drive is usually a bit more relaxed, as the shuttle driver wants to turn his van around as quickly as possible. Limo driver probably has a schedule of rides for the day and has plenty of cushion built in.
    Etc.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

I agree with Darkbeer!

My husband and I always take a cab from the John Wayne airport. It's fast, no waiting for others, and it's door-to-door service. Also, sometimes they will give a discount (flat rate) card for your return trip to the airport!
    As for shuttles, some love them, I do not. We took a shuttle once... it took us close to 2 hours to get to the Grand Californian...

We were the first folks to arrive at the shuttle, the driver advised us we would have to wait for more people - we had to wait 30 min. Finally more folks showed up and once the shuttle was full (i.e.: packed), off we went. I swear we stopped at every motel/hotel... and each stop seemed to take FOR-EVER!

Of course it didn't help that the Grand Californian is like the last stop… Needless to say, even though we had paid in advance for the return shuttle (AAA Disney package), we didn't use it, we took a cab.

The other thing I like about taking a cab, is they also have vans available for larger groups. To me it's more economical to take a cab. There are my 2 cents!

Hope you have a great trip, no matter how you choose to get to your hotel!

As far as shuttles go, we are staying at the Fairfield Inn (close to park) I wonder how they determine who gets off first? Now I am rethinking the shuttle idea...which cab company have you ridden in and had good luck, Darkbeer?? Thanks guys!

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Hi Alaskatink!

Hope you don't mind me answering... At John Wayne Airport, all I've seen are Yellow cab.

All you need to do to get a cab at John Wayne, is go to the Ground Transportation Center, find the Taxi stand and get one-Easy-peasy!

I assume shuttles are exempt from the requirements for car seats.

Just to answer this, albeit late...shuttle vans are NOT exempt. There are seatbelts, you should use your carseat. Shuttles are not exempt from accidents, and they are just little vans.

The bus, however (Disneyland Express), like all coach buses, has no seatbelts, and therefore you cannot use a carseat.

I'm flying out at 5:34AM Aug 23rd this morning, arriving at SNA at 8:24 am or so. I didn't bother to book anything advance. I'm by myself, going to the Hyatt Orange County. A private car or limo would not work well compared to a large group saving from having to pay per person.

So it comes down to a Taxi, Super Shuttle, and Disney Express.

With the Shuttle and Express, are those always open for last minute riders? Such as, could you be denied for a while due to large amount of reservations? With the Express, and my early arrival, it may only be running on the hour still, plus I'm not sure how close they go to Hyatt OC. I figure you do a tip for both these services, how much? (First time finding transportation like this, and only been in a taxi once)

The Taxi. From reports here, guessing around $45 before tip? Hyatt is about 15 minutes away. So the bonus would be straight to your destination, private. Though, anyone how quick the stop for Hyatt OC for the shuttles?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I've done Super Shuttle, Airport Bus and Taxi......Taxi wins!

Seriously, no contest, Taxi wins....I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to Super Shuttle voluntarily....the Airport Bus isn't bad but the dollar or two you save isn't worth the sacrifice of convenience.

Overheard one man in the terminal talking with another about the FAA approved noise abatement procedure that planes taking off from SNA do....."doesn't scare me, then again not much does; excpet that shuttle ride here"

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Master Frogman

Anyone have suggestions for transportation if one were arriving at SNA at 9:30am on Christmas Day? Taxis be available without a problem during that time?

In thanks,

-Brandon.
    ** Oldschool A.D.D. Brigade **
    -- Keeper of the Main Street Corn Dogs --

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adowarf View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for transportation if one were arriving at SNA at 9:30am on Christmas Day? Taxis be available without a problem during that time?

In thanks,

-Brandon.
    Yes, Taxi drivers work 24/7, in fact, many are not Christian, so there should be no worries.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Traveler to the south

Taxi was most certainly the way to go!!! Thanks for the advice!

Taxi's are not exempt, and can be a PITA to deal with (as it takes time to install a car seat correctly). Either rent a car... (which can be cheaper than a taxi for a week rent if you shop right). (IE I just booked a Large Card from Alamo for 5 days for $92, complete (tax and all fees). Or ride a bus... it needs to be at least a rental-car shuttle sized bus to be legal to lap-carry a child.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast