Page 101 of 116 FirstFirst ... 5176919899100101102103104111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1740

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Under the runways would be tough but some could be excavated instead of bored.

I do think the potential station is important as I believe that will replace shuttle to the rental lots.

As far as remote check in that would be nice, but security should stay in the airport. Ideally with less check in space needed, more security check area could be added.
    I'd like to the station you have described, if the cost factor proves doable.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Great diagrams- any of the three would be workable, in my opinion. I'd much rather take transit to the airport than drive.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Under that tree again!

Thanks everyone but to be clear these drawings weren't created by me. I copied them from the link Sediment provided.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

Sources: Metro, Times reporting.
    Credits: Graphics by Lorena Ińiguez Elebee. Programming by Anthony Pesce.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Nonetheless, it is fantastic that someone in urban planning is thinking and looking at things that could actually be useful.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Rock Star Minion

I like my idea better. Just wish I could draw, but:
    1. Take #1 drawing, with Crenshaw Line turning west to "Area Stations and routes, but loops around that and back to Aviation to continue to Green Line.
    2. Add check-in, baggage check, and security building to that "Area stations and loops" area.
    3. Once past security, travelers get on a People Mover to LAX terminals, without luggage to lug around anymore. I would have the PMs travel closer to the middle and not so close to the terminals, so that the tower can see the taxiing planes better. Heck, underground, even, with moving sidewalks to each terminal. Or, simply, get rid of top level driving, replace with PM. With fewer cars going in for drop-offs (they can drop off at the Crenshaw/PM station), no need for it.

Now, it gets a little tricky with the luggage. Will have to create a LuggageMover for them.

I'm not sure about going under runways. Already near sea level. The torrential rains we get could stop the Crenshaw Line.
    Last edited by sediment; 09-05-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Bad news for the CA HSR:

a Sacramento County judge ruled Friday that the agency overseeing the bullet train failed to comply with the financial and environmental promises made to voters when they approved initial funding for the project five years ago.

Superior Court Judge Michael Kenny said the California High-Speed Rail Authority "abused its discretion by approving a funding plan that did not comply with the requirements of the law" and has failed to identify "sources of funds that were more than merely theoretically possible."

Yet he declined to immediately halt funding for the project and said he will hold another hearing to determine what happens next. A date has not yet been set.

The office of Gov. Jerry Brown, who has championed the project, directed inquiries to the California High-Speed Rail Authority. Dan Richard, the Brown-appointed chairman of the authority's board, said work on the project will continue until the judge determines the remedy.

In the meantime, he said the Legislature's financial appropriation remains valid.
    Big setback for California high-speed rail project - SFGate

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    CA must be out of the country. He keeps us up with this stuff.

Close! I was doing some traveling, but here in this country.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

This project should be canceled. Bureaucratic red tape is making this such a pain in the *** to build. The money used to build this should be re directed to local transit projects in CA (light rail and commuter train upgrades).

What a joke this has become. Amazing how Japan, China, Italy, France, ect. can all get high speed rail lines built! But USA? LOL, NOPE!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's hard not to share your cynical view, with all the mounting problems with this project.

But as you say, these other countries can get it done and I remain faintly optimistic it will be built and be a success.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

RAIL CONNECTION TO LAX:

Good news this afternoon for the Crenshaw/LAX Line project, with Metro issuing the official “notice to proceed,” the document that allows the contractor to begin design/build work with serious construction expected to begin in 2014. As the notice says, the contractor — Walsh/Shea Corridor Constructors — has five years to complete the work.
    Metro's The Source | Transportation News & Views

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

BROADWAY STREETCAR IN DOWNTOWN LA:

Is it still worth building, if they have more than a 100% funding gap?

Building a proposed streetcar line in downtown Los Angeles may cost more than twice the original estimate, an adjustment that raises serious questions about the project's funding and future.

The original estimate to build the Broadway streetcar line, about $125 million, did not include the cost of utility work, such as moving power lines. That could add up to $166 million, according to a recent city report, and other costs could rise by $28 million to $37 million.

The funding gap of almost $200 million must be resolved before officials apply for federal transportation grants, which could total up to $75 million. The applications and the debut of the Broadway streetcar, scheduled for late 2015, will probably both be delayed.
    Broadway streetcar faces $200-million funding gap - latimes.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

WILL LA HOST THE 2024 OLYMPICS?:

The International Olympic Committee on Saturday picked Tokyo to host the 2020 Summer Olympics, spurning Istanbul (again) and Madrid. In 2017, the IOC will select the site of the 2024 Summer Olympics, with Los Angeles possibly in the running.
    Notes on transit: the 2024 Olympics, Measure R and project acceleration | Metro's The Source

My sense is that one factor in any future acceleration decision is whether the Los Angeles region seriously pursues the 2024 Summer Olympics. Earlier this year, then-Mayor Villaraigosa wrote the U.S. Olympic Committee, saying L.A. is interested. On his first day in office in July, Mayor Garcetti wrote USOC, saying much the same thing. (More info on the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games website)

If so, pursuing transit upgrades could become part of an overall infrastructure upgrade. Cities almost always promise key infrastructure upgrades as part of their Olympic bids. And there are a couple of Measure R projects that I'm guessing Olympic officials might be interested in: the Purple Line Extension to Westwood and the Airport Metro Connector, currently scheduled to be done in 2036 and 2028, respectively.

Why?

UCLA sits at the end of the third phase of the Purple Line Extension and some of the school's facilities could be used as an Olympic venue. Pauley Pavilion hosted gymnastics in 1984, back in the pre-Staple Center days.

The Airport Metro Connector seeks to connect the LAX terminals to the Crenshaw/LAX line via bus rapid transit, people mover, light rail or some combination of those three. If L.A. is going to compete for an Olympics, L.A. also needs to realize that many other metro areas across the globe have managed to breach the gap between their airport and their transit systems.

Of course, there is also the matter of Olympic politics. Tokyo also hosted the 1964 Summer Games. Who knows if the IOC would want to put the next Olympics in a city such as L.A. that has already twice hosted them. On the other hand, the U.S. last hosted a Summer Olympics in 1996 in Atlanta.

The hope here is that L.A. will be a strong contender because so many facilities are already here, assuming the Coliseum or Rose Bowl could be retrofitted with a running track.

Even without Measure R projects being accelerated, our region can still boast of a serious transit expansion since the 1984 Olympics — when there was no Metro Rail or Metrolink. Metro now runs 87.7 miles of rail and Metrolink service spans six counties. Even without acceleration, Metro is still planning to open five projects in the next decade: the second phase of the Expo Line, the Gold Line Foothill Extension, the Crenshaw/LAX Line, the Regional Connector and the first phase of the Purple Line Extension before 2024. That would make it far easier to travel around to different events.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

WILL LA HOST THE 2024 OLYMPICS?:

How Serious Is LA About Hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics?

..There have been a few signs that this city's actually taking this thing seriously. First, the LA Times speculated that the flurry of exciting developments proposed along the LA River might indicate real interest in hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics (the bid "could include new facilities near or along the river," apparently), and said City Hall was abuzz with the notion. Now The Source--Metro's blog--is getting in on the tea leaf reading, wondering how LA's transit expansion might play into a bid.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

PURPLE LINE EXTENSION THROUGH BEVERLY HILLS:

Say it isn't so, ex-Senator Joe!

Ex-Senator Joseph Lieberman’s Firm Becomes Trial Counsel To Beverly Hills In Federal Subway Suit