Page 103 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3537893100101102103104105106113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1740

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

I don't want to see Gov'ner Brown's high speed rail, I want to see the Hyperloop. From L.A. to San Francisco in forty minutes?! AWESOME!!
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Rock Star Minion

Question for you, as you have some knowledge of local/national trucking scene that affects my hardly-ever commute to Disneyland (trying to stay on topic here):

How much of that trucking stuff is getting delivered locally?
    The way I see it, all of the non-local stuff should be shipped all the way to San Berdoo or Victorville or Riverside or Bakersfield, freeing up traffic in the "urban" area just a little.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I don't want to see Gov'ner Brown's high speed rail, I want to see the Hyperloop. From L.A. to San Francisco in forty minutes?! AWESOME!!
    I'll let you accelerate and decelerate at lethal rates.
    Star-Trekky Beaming devices for the win, please.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Sediment, I haven't really covered the port angle as it is only on subject in a limited way.

I try to stick to passenger transportation in Southern California, which is already a wide topic.

That said, I welcome any discussion of transportation topics here in this forum!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    LOL as much as I'd love to see it, the last... what, nearly fifty years?... has given the South Pasadena civic organizations a LOT of experience in making sure that doesn't happen.

There's a lot of "if" and "maybe" and "versions A-Z, A.1 through A.9999" in each of the proposals we get. I'm honestly hoping the entire thing gets shuffled into the round file. I *like* my job. I'd rather the building not get turned into a container parking lot.
    My limited knowledge of the LA/Long Beach modernization is as follows:

Containers will be offloaded and moved further inland before hitting trucks and the road and people living near the new transfer area are opposed

The Alameda Corridor rail trench 1.0 is operational and an extension has been proposed, reducing cars waiting at train tracks

A taller, replacement bridge to Terminal Island is being built and a deeper harbor dredged to accommodate bigger ships

Some increased traffic or competition or both due to Panama Canal widening

Nicaragua is building another canal

Please give us more details...

• Singing Drinker

Essentially they want to radically expand the port side of the equation - we're about half a mile yards off the terminal area and we've been advised that they're considering eminent domain. They're expanding greatly, putting about a 50 yard "green belt" around the northern side, then they're expanding the interstitial yards up by the 10 rail hub (we don't get info on this part, only the draft plan).

Hidden in a lot of this is the plan to redo and steal parts of the "Alameda Corridor" project. They've been flying lots of ideas - buried rail line, buried freeway, multiple decks, commuter/freight mixed rail lines - but since this is the one that gets the most people angry they've apparently opted to keep that in the "pending" file.

I read bits and pieces about the opposition. A lot of folks in Wilmington and San Pedro are *furious* over this. One of the pieces of the LA portion specifically included landfill in the harbor to extend the Port of LA's property (this is I believe where the Coastal Commission has the biggest issue). All of it means drastically higher congestion and pollution in all communities touching the project.

It's been *very* quiet from them for a bit - over a year since we were told we'd be getting copies of the EIR and beginning process for stealing our property within a few months - and I'm beginning to think they're either drastically recalibrating or are simply ditching this for a few years to start anew. They DID have the foresight to include a few fallbacks that mostly involved restructuring existing facilities - hopefully that's where they're going to land.

My personal favorite element is that none of the project plans I've seen include space for either the Multi-Service center (local services and aid for the transient/indigent/homeless population) or the Seaman's Center. Both are apparently required to be given space by terms of the Port's lease from the Navy (admittedly this is from an employee of the Multi Center - they're just down the street). If they were to be evicted, it's technically possible the US Navy could repossess the land.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Rock Star Minion

Streetcar: It just shouldn't cost so much. I know politicians are getting a lot more expensive these days, but that is ridiculous.

As for the freight: Could electric trains do the work all the way to San Berdoo or Riverside? Less pollution for Wilmington/San Pedro.

Oh, and for the folks who live there: MOVE! Your kids will get cancer at 40 from breathing all that crap!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    As for the freight: Could electric trains do the work all the way to San Berdoo or Riverside? Less pollution for Wilmington/San Pedro.
    It's a lot more efficient to have trains move the stuff out instead of hundreds of trucks. Electricity has to be made somehow, so the power plants would burn more stuff to do it also.

While LA consumes a lot, I've always wondered if instead of loading a single truck at the harbor, if it all went directly on trains to hubs on the outer limits of the metropolis to be split to trucks and trains if that would be better. Less trucks driving around and simpler distribution. Of course that would of required futuristic central planning at least 60 years ago, and building the railyards way out in the wilderness.

Look at what trouble Chicago and cities in the East have. Rail lines right through downtown and suburbs, as the lines moved out and the city expanded right past them.

This also means lots of traffic slowing down commutes and rail speeds because of lots of turns and cross traffic. Unlike the simple layouts like used in EPCOT.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

BURBANK / BOB HOPE AIRPORT MODERNIZATION:

Bob Hope Airport officials want to build a new terminal, and they’re seeking the participation of Burbank residents in the planning process — because ultimately the public will get the final say on its approval.

The Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport Authority will debut its proposed plan for a new 14-gate terminal to replace the current 83-year-old building during two informational meetings on Monday.

The first will be held during the authority’s normal morning meeting at 9 a.m., and another will be held at 6 p.m., both in the airport’s Skyroom, which is accessible through the terminal’s main entrance.

Airport officials say a new terminal is needed because the current building is too close to the runways — 250 feet instead of the required 750 feet — to meet Federal Aviation Administration safety standards.
    Officials seek public input on Bob Hope Airport terminal - Burbank Leader

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

TRANSIT STUDY SAYS BRT IS BEST FOR GENERATING ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

Bus Rapid Transit Spurs Development Better Than Light Rail Or Streetcars

Bus rapid transit, in which buses in dedicated lanes perform like rail lines, can not only spur development, but can do so far more efficiently than light rail and streetcars, according to a study due out later this month from the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy.

“Both BRT and LRT can leverage many times more development investment than they cost. Now we can say that for sure,” according to the institute’s director for the U.S. and Africa, Annie Weinstock, who previewed the findings at a Metropolitan Planning Council Roundtable in Chicago last week.

“Per dollar of transit investment, and under similar conditions, BRT can leverage more (development) investment than LRT or streetcars.”
    Bus Rapid Transit Spurs Development Better Than Light Rail Or Streetcars: Study - Forbes

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

COMPARING BRT AND LRT:

Better transit can come in many forms, but in a country in which the vast majority of people have no contact with public transportation this side of Disney World, making the argument for investments in more buses is difficult, to say the least. BRT is just not sexy until you’ve experienced it. Which is why the considerable success of BRT in South America has not convinced many U.S. cities to abandon their ambitions for more rail.

Articles like those in the Journal and the Globe and Mail, despite their positive assessments of the potential for BRT, nonetheless reinforce the sense that BRT is inferior to rail by putting the two in contrast to one another, rather than focusing on the relative benefits of each. By continuously describing BRT as an economical way to get something like light rail, all that comes across is that it’s cheap.
    The Silly Argument Over BRT and Rail « The Transport Politic

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

L.A. RIVER REVITALIZATION PROJECT:

After eight years of study, the Army Corps of Engineers has finally released its proposal to restore 11 miles of the LA River between Griffith Park and Downtown. The report considers four options, each with the goal of getting the river flowing again, "reestablishing riparian strand, freshwater marsh, and aquatic habitat communities and reconnecting the River to major tributaries," while maintaining the river's role in flood control and providing recreational opportunities. Back in July we learned that the Corps was weighing three options of varying degrees of ambition to do all this, the boldest of which would cost more than $1 billion. That had the support of the Corps's LA office, and was backed by the City Council in a vote last month, but was not picked today as the "tentatively selected plan." Instead they went with a much more modest version with an oh-so-sexy name: Alternative 13--or ACE to its friends.

ACE (ARBOR Corridor Extension) was the least ambitious (and came with the smallest percentage of federal funding) of the three plans laid out in July, but today's report included on additional even more scaled back, "minimally acceptable" option, which was rejected. Like the others, its primary focus is on environmental restoration (as opposed to fun stuff for us humans) because of the extreme destruction the area has seen. "90 percent of the region's riparian habitat including Valley Foothill riparian habitats and over 95 percent of the region's wetlands including freshwater marsh have been lost. What does remain is largely isolated and no longer connected to surrounding habitat resources."
    More details at:
    Huge LA River Restoration Report Recommends $453MM Plan - LA River Rising - Curbed LA

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    TRANSIT STUDY SAYS BRT IS BEST FOR GENERATING ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

Bus Rapid Transit Spurs Development Better Than Light Rail Or Streetcars

Bus Rapid Transit Spurs Development Better Than Light Rail Or Streetcars: Study - Forbes
    Without all of the numbers, I'm guessing that they both spur the same amount of development, but the BRT costs less, so, better return on investment.

The Orange Line isn't increasing the economy all that much, but there wasn't a lot to increase anyway.
    Bitg winners there are the public who both live along the line and work along the Red Line. Saving money and their sanity.
    And now, it's full. Cannot put more people on that thing during the rush hours.