Page 105 of 116 FirstFirst ... 55595102103104105106107108115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1734

• Under that tree again!

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    That is not the Alro Way option. That is the Gene Autry Way option. Checking Google, Gene Autry Way goes over The 5 freeway, so no need to build a new bridge. And the Mobile homes along Gene Autry WAy appear to have been removed, allowing expansion of the street. Wondering why they're not starting the project already. Probably "due process."
    Gene Autry Way is being expanded for a current plan that is being currently built. New was to get on and off the 5. Basically express lane access to the ball park, convention center and the parks to take pressure, off the other roads.

ARC just could happen to go down that being built wide road.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Hahaha very interesting - Sediment explain your screen name for us...

My initials are s.e.d. I went to the dictionary to find an intersting word starting with those letters. That's the best I found.
    Has nothing to do with my being a geologist, since I'm not one.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

That's the sediment behind it?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

CALIFORNIA HIGH SPEED RAIL:
    Californians won't see hammer-wielding workers in the field unless the state wins two civil cases -- one to be heard next week, the other in November.

"The future of this plan is in doubt," said former longtime project Chairman Quentin Kopp, a former state legislator and judge who now opposes the bullet train. "I don't know how (the state) could even mention starting construction with pending litigation. It's irresponsible."
    California high-speed-rail groundbreaking pushed back another few months - San Jose Mercury News
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 09-18-2013 at 11:22 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

LOS ANGELES OLYMPICS BID (2024):

Board of Supes, City Council Push for 2024 LA Olympics

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/09/board_of_supes_city_council_push_for_2024_la_olymp ics.php

The hopes for a 2024 Olympics in LA are becoming more than utter fantasy: first, the City Council passed a unanimous resolution last month supporting the LA bid and now the LA County Board of Supervisors has made a similar, and rather more formal, pledge of support yesterday, KCET reports. The Boards of Supes will send a letter to the United States Olympic Committee to "formalize its interest and cooperate with the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games in its hosting bid."

County support is imperative as more than half the Olympic venues would be outside official city limits but within the county (e.g., Pasadena's Rose Bowl, the Galaxy soccer stadium in Carson) Other American cities vying for the Olympics include Philly (puh-leeze), Dallas (ugh), Boston (no), and DC (best of luck). Winning the Olympics may be the only way we see big infrastructure projects--like the people mover to LAX

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

L.A. UNION STATION MASTER PLAN:

Interesting powerpoint on the various options for integrating the HIGH SPEED RAIL line into Union Station.

New PowerPoint presentation available for Union Station Master Plan with some nice graphics and maps | Metro's The Source

• Rock Star Minion

I like "Above Rail Yard." Underground, while more aesthetically pleasing to keep Union Station looking like it did in the 1930's, is too expensive and too constraining.
    I like the run-through track addition for Metrolink, so that they're not going backwards. That does, however, require some kind of process at the end of the lines to keep them going forward.
    I like moving the bus terminal to the north end.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Really? A huge box behind the silhouette of classic Union Station? I think under the parking lot out front is better, and turning this parking lot into a grassy field with some more tropical plants.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

DRIVING IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (ROAD RAGE):

"People here are all so laid back, but as soon as they get in their cars they go insane!"
    Better Institutions: It's Not Just Crazy Drivers: LA Streets Are Designed For Road Rage

• Rock Star Minion

Really? A huge box behind the silhouette of classic Union Station? I think under the parking lot out front is better, and turning this parking lot into a grassy field with some more tropical plants.
    I'm a lot more cost-minded than you are. That's all. There is already a big building behind Union Station that ruins its aesthetic.

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. Another transplant complaining about traffic.

Left turn arrows are found where they have been declared necessary.
    It's just that the time has passed long enough to require a review. That's all.

I'm guessing they install left-arrows when the number of accidents involving a left-turner exceeds some threshold within a given time.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Rock Star Minion

Sync-ing is a lot easier without left turn arrows.

The Valley used to have some wonderfully sync-ed streets. Then they increased the speed lmit on some streets, but not others.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

DISNEYLAND RESORT EXPANSION PLANS:

Nothing's going to happen beyond the new land or mini-land at Disneyland until the resort addresses its major transportation issue. Disney faces a huge barrier to additional expansion at the resort - the lack of space to park additional vehicles and the road access to get those cars into and out of resort property. Disney's big problem is that too many of its visitors are driving to the parks alone. They're annual passholders dropping in for the day, perhaps meeting other APers at the park. This isn't Orlando's crowd, where entire families fill the majority of cars through the tollbooths.

It's too bad for Disney that Orange County's decided to spend its transportation dollars on expanding freeways instead of building a rail system, as neighboring Los Angeles County is doing. Disney's two other two-park resorts - Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland - have local transit train stations on property, connecting those resorts to the regions' mass-transit systems. Imagine if those old LA-area Red Cars weren't just an attraction on Buena Vista Street, but if their successors were around today to bring individuals from around Southern California to the Disneyland Resort.

There is a Metrolink line that runs near the Disneyland Resort, but its nearest stop is the Anaheim Stadium parking lot. And those Metrolink trains are scheduled to serve 9-5/Monday-Friday commuters, not tourists. Even if you could get a bus to take you from Disneyland to the station, there'd be no train coming until the next morning if you tried to use it to get home at the end of your Disneyland day.

That leaves Disneyland dependent upon cars and buses to bring people to the resort. But even if Disney spent the money to build additional parking garages to accommodate more cars, it would still face the challenge of getting those cars into and out of the resort via Interstate 5 and Anaheim's surface streets, which are often gridlocked when the parks reach their current capacity. Just imagine how bad they'd be with a third theme park.

If Disney's going to add a third theme park in Anaheim (or a fourth hotel, or an expanded Downtown Disney) it's simply got to find a way to increase the number of guests for every car that parks at the resort.
    Article continues at:

Two options for the transportation problem that's keeping a third park from Disneyland Resort

• Singing Drinker

Expecting OC to spend on bus lines?

I still clearly remember a six - eight month period where "to save money" OCTA shut down all north/south connector lines on Sundays. I was still too young to have a driver's license and spent a good amount of time trying in vain to find a route - ANY route. Wound up using a taxi.

Yeah. OC and public transportation go together like two things famous for not going together.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.